Thread: Stop! Thief!

Stop! Thief!

Three vintage and highly-modified Jazzmasters were stolen from the band Dinosaur Jr. at a recent gig. Follow this link for more info:

http://jmascis.com/content/view/47/2/

Re: Stop! Thief!

The show must go on. Dinosaur Jr. played in New Haven last night. Good show I understand. J probably went back home for reinforcements.

There's been a lot of band thefts recently.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

wow thats some prime gear

My claim to "fame"...

J was the drummer in my high school jazz workshop. At the time, he was about as good a drummer as I was a guitar player.

:-D
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Forum Member

i think the days off giging with vintage gear are over. thats unless youre act can afford high dollar around trhe clock security. Whats the reason for gigging with this old gear ?( that is, unless, again , if youre a premier act that can afford such extravagance). Will your audience know the difference between a bunch of reissiue Jags, Starts, Amps or whatever and the real vintage??No. Why do they make reissue gear? Sure it may not sound as great, but in a club environment, where room acoustics,crowd noise and so many other factors come into play, then it is just perfect sence to gig with reissue gear.Save the vintage for the studio and the closet.

Did they get the Sunburst one with all the stickers? That's about as signature a guitar for him as there is...
    OK, just got that page up...didn't get that one, but did get one of the others from that spread
    I've got an issue of Maximum Guitar from July '97 (yes I did keep it....cause of this spread) that had shots of most of J.s guitars and amps...

My claim to "fame"...

J was the drummer in my high school jazz workshop. At the time, he was about as good a drummer as I was a guitar player.
    A couple of years ago by kid sister and her friends went to see J...I think it was on the first Fog tour. Anyway, although I'm a fan, my musical influences never rubbed off on her and she had no idea who J was and couldn't believe how blown away I was when I learned that she and her friends go to hang with him after the show. Seems that Mr. Mascis took a liking to one of her friends.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Those are highly modified guitars that are integral to his sound. I don't think it would be the same with a bunch of off-the-shelf stuff.