Thread: Warped Neck?

Forum Member

Warped Neck?

I have an old Ric bass that the neck is slightly warped on and i was wondering what is the best way to remedy this. Should i get a new neck, get the neck unwarped (is that even possible?) or what? Thanks
    My Band: Tabula Rasa

Re: Warped Neck?

What model Ric is it? If its an old 4001, there are 2 truss rods in the neck and adjustment is very tricky. Replacing a neck on a Ric is VERY expensive.

I have put my bass necks back into relief by relieving the string tension, LOOSENING the truss rods, and clamping it flat overnight. If you are not experienced in this sort of thing, please don't attempt to adjust it yourself. You can actually break the neck easily on a Ric, they are very thin. Find a reputable guitar tech, or contact Dan Erlewine (has a regular bass guitar repair column in bass player magazine).

Forum Member

Ok thanks. Any idea on how much that would cost? And yeah its a 4001 from mid 70s

I'd say that it depends on how 'slightly' the neck is warped.
    If it's on the order af a couple millimeters, it's easy enough to adjust the truss rod.
    if more than that, it would need a pro.
    Any halfway competant tech would be able to adjust the truss rod (if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, which I can understand), as well as a full setup to make sure it's playing it's best...cost for that ranges from $15 plus strings, if you want them replaced, up to $100. Depends of the tech and the area. From the link in your signature, I deduce you're in Annapolis MD area?
    There's plenty of good techs in your area. any of them should be able to help.

Forum Member

Yeah its a little more than i think a truss rod adjustment can fix (at least one i can do). JrGtr, do you know any techs here or just judging by the city size? But yeah we have a few good guitar shiops.

That whole neck through thing with the Rick makes that neck replacement thing kinda tricky...

That whole dual truss rod thing is a lot for the average bear to understand. I owned a 72-4 4001 that the guy who sold it to me told me "you have to adjust those rods every week." You'd never guess that thing had neck issues.

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing with those things.

Here's the Rick dealers in MD:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/dealers.asp?state=MD

Or Rickenbacker themselves:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/corporate.asp

I'd just call, just to see if any of those places know of any places/repair guys that are good with Ricks...
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Greetings Gents,

Having owned quite a few Ric basses I'll toss this out. It's been my experience that they have one of THE most stable necks in the business. When I hear about neck adjustments being needed every week, that's kind of scary. :^>) I have an 84 Ric bass that has never needed a neck adjustment and has the best action of any of my basses. I have an 81 4001 that was badly abused and needed only a tiny adjustment to bring the neck back to superb playability. Quite often the problems arise from two critical, yet often misunderstood areas: lack of humidity and owner maintainance errors. Keep your instruments well humidified and understand that when it comes to neck adjustments, a quarter turn is monumental.

Detuning has also made for some interesting "neck problems" with some players.

Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere

I have a 1980 4001 that I have owned since 1984. I had the instrument professionally set up at the time for about $60, including a neck adjustment. I have never had to touch it since that time!

I have done neck / truss rod adjustments on my other 3 basses myself, and have rarely had any issues with them once they are adusted properly. However, I still wouldn't mess with the Ric because of the thin neck and dual truss rods. It really is a bit more tricky than your thick-necked Fender.

As Dan Erlewine advises, if the neck is really out you will need to completely back off the truss rod nut, then clamp the neck straight with wood blocks and a sturdy and straight piece of lumber over night, then turn the truss rod nut just to the point where it is finger tight before removing the clamps. I have used this method on my Jazz and my Carvin, both with excellent results.