Thread: Fender Bassman 300pro??? shall I??

Fender Bassman 300pro??? shall I??

Hi, I put one like this in Amps but not got much replies- I hope the big boys don't get upset but.....
    I'm thinkin of gettin a Fender Bassman 300 pro-which is the ALL tube modern version of the old SUNN 300T I think! I live in an small city & we don't get to see/try/hear live much different types of gear, so anyones views on this amp would be very helpful!
    So far- I downloaded the Manual for it. I'm in Aus. & as much as I'd like an SVT CL or VR, I can't really afford or justify the extra $1000-damn Aus govt. take,take,take!!!!! SVT CL here= $4000 or even $4900!!!!!! The Fender has similar power & from what I've heard si far, is more versatile!
    I was brought up on tube bass amps & after playing S.S. & Hybrid(tube pre/ss power) stuff for a couple of years, have come back 2 my original way of thinkin- I gotta have TUBES for the power section... . & the pre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to ramble on....good name for a song- so ANY opinions, views on this amp 'd be very helpful as I'd have to ORDER it in B4 buying-with a HEAVY lean to buy. ...... Thanx,
    Rod.

Re: Fender Bassman 300pro??? shall I??

Please anyone--I just want some opinions, setting eg.s anything

Well Thanx everyone for their replies
    No prob, really
    I got my 300pro Bassman today-WHAT A BEAST-have only played it briefly in the shop so far, will post my description ASAP after this weekend of gigs.
    Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by rodl2005 View Post
    Well Thanx everyone for their replies
    Well, you're most certainly welcome.

This is a small board, and I'd bet dollars to donuts you're now the proud, solitary owner of a Bassman 300 on TFF.

If you want instant gratification, go to Usenet or Harmony-Central. But don't say I didn't warn you.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Sorry I didn't mean to hurt anyone!! Thats why I used the .
    Yep I'm the proud owner of a Bassman 300pro!!! Used it at the weekend at 2 gigs, but, damnitt we had to keep volume down at both!!!!
    the sound= warm, thick, punchy,lovely! EQ & comp work a treat!
    The 2 Channel options work fantastic too. The drive is -again-warm & totally useable, & being able to blend the two chans. = an infinite array of drive options, from just a touch-think JPJ on Led Zep 2- to heaps of grind distort!!!
    Will post a more complete review of it after this weekend, when we have a gig where I'll be able to crank her up
    Again-sorry if I upset anyone-was not my intention- & yea I understand re the HC forum& reviews- everything seems to get a great review- but I guess everyone has their own opinion & they totally resected for that from me anyway!!!! Each to their own!!! I mean - If I listened to what EVERYONE(bass players round my home town were telling me- I'd either still have the SVT3pro-nice amp, but S.state is not 4 me - or I'd have a MarkBass - & they just aint my cup of tea!!!!!!!!- I'm entitled to my choice just as everyone else is! Thats why I'll have ALL TUBE from now on.
    Thanx to all who reccomended this amp to me!
    Cheers,
    Rod.
    p.s. wife wasn't too happy on me trading the SVT3pro in so soon, I'd only had it for 6 months!, but I knew S.S. wasn't for me!- just had to use this one - tis a beauty!!!

I've played a few of the Sunn amps and I've messed with a couple of the newer Fender 300s in a couple stores... not that it gives me a heck of a lot of experience with them.

Quality amps, a bunch of headroom, "saggier" than I prefer, and much heavier than I really would want to handle.

I "grew up" on SS bass amps. That's been more of my benchmark for what I find as the tone I wish to achieve.

I'm looking forward to hearing what else you've got to report about the amp.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Will do asap after the next cuppla gigs-prob. in a week or so,But I'm MIGHTY impressed with it so far!
    I know wot U mean re 'sag' but this seems bl@@dy punchy 2 me.
    Will report back when I've gigged more & been able to crank her up a bit!
    Rod.

Well I've played the BAssman 300pro for about 10 gigs & she's a monster- LOVE IT!!!!!
    The 2 channel blendable thingy is wonderful the 2nd chans. dirt is very adjustable & then U can blend it with the clean Chan.1. GREAT!
    I've used it with my 2x10'' Fendercab, My 1x15'' EV, & my SVT410HLF & it sounds great thru all. Cant wait to couple the cabs together !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Being able to switch from8/4/2 ohm is VERY handy & one of the main reasons I got it over the MArshal VBA400 all tube amp-only 4/2 ohm as is the SVT-CL.
    Sound is SO punchy & thick, but can be adjusted to sound wimpy if U so desire-I don't! As the pre is pretty complicated it takes a while to find the best settings for U but there are plenty of options for sure.
    Will write more when I've experimented with the pre more

Rod.

Kickass!

It'll be a whole lot of styley to hook all those cabinets up and let it loose!

I've been in possession of a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ for the past 2 weeks or so, and did a gig with it last weekend. There are things I really, really like about it, and there are things I would really have to get used to.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Well I tried out the Fender Bassman Pro 300 Bassman All tube-6x6550's-Svets- at a loud club gig last weekend. The band was tru the F.O.H. but was SOOOO pumping thru there we hadda keep the vol up just to be heard above the F.o.h.!!!!! BBBBBUT rhe BAsss trhu the Bassman sounded FANTASTIC! Thick , punchy, great slap tone, great Old sch. tone ppl in the band were initially skeptical when I went back to ALL tube after trying out so many S.S. amps( I think they liked the SVT3PRO & the AShdown EVO 500??? but what matters is me-right -I'm playing the thing!!!! I don't go over to the sax player & say that the old sax he had sounded betterthan the new one he has now! Damn IT SOUNDED good was all I hoped it'd be & more. Blending the channs, gave me a thick distort grind that was great with "shakey Ground" * being able to footswitch 'em just adds to the beauty of this BEAST I'M IN LOVE!!!
    Its gotta be all tube 4 me - GOTTA!