Thread: A Question on Equiment!!

A Question on Equiment!!

Hello Forum,

I was wondering, what do you guys prefer to use live and in the studio, individual pedals or Effects Processors.

Some say that individual pedals are better, as you can get the exact sound you want and quickly. Others claim that the Effects Processors are the way to go as you have more choice hmm...?

I just bought the PODXT Live and to tell you the truth, there's a huge learning curve the the darn thing.

One more question!! What do you think of the Line6 Stuff?

Thanks again,
    John B.

Last edited by seanbl1; 08-21-2006 at 12:53 AM.

Re: A Question on Equiment!!

Most folks here, myself included, prefer individual pedals. It's more tangible, for one, with all the real knobs. Being modular, you can swap out, say the fuzz, without dumping the whole board.

Others here, in particular the studio folks, use processors, like the Pod or J-Station. Easier to record, and zillions of parameters to tweak to get it to fit in with the mix better.

Of course, the zillions of pre-set paramters is what makes them very difficult to tweak on the fly in live performance, and creates a steep learning curve just to get a good sound.

Line 6? It's the operator, not the tools.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

If you are a cover band of a bunch of popular tunes, a good effects processor (or processor/amp combo like the vox) will give you the most flexibility. It will allow you to have the most variety of sounds instantly (once you get it programmed right).

If you are in a blues band doing your own thing, stick a wah and an overdrive in front of a tube amp and do your thing.

Gravity Jim (on this forum) uses one of those PODs to great effect in the studio.

You've already got the POD, I would recomend spending the time to get past the learning curve.

Good luck.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc
    You've already got the POD, I would recomend spending the time to get past the learning curve.
    That's the key with all modelling units. With a bit of tweaking (I recommend using the software initally) you can get almost anything out of them.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

Quote Originally Posted by seagate
    That's the key with all modelling units. With a bit of tweaking (I recommend using the software initally) you can get almost anything out of them.
    Hey Seagate!!

Was listening to some of you're blues playing on you're web site, cool
    Man...

Thanks everyone for replying
    John Blessing

Quote Originally Posted by seanbl1
    Was listening to some of you're blues playing on you're web site, cool
    Man...

Thanks

I spend about half my life in a studio and I most definitely prefer individual pedals. It's not so much the fact that I find pedals easier to work with from a tactile, practical standpoint (I could live with using a multi-fx box or whatever) but i've always thought that the sound you get out of MFX boxes is less than stellar... Most of them sound congested to me, lacking in detail and depth: personally speaking, there's something missing for me.
    I try to use the best pedals I can to get the best tone I can with the best guitars I can afford through the best amps I can afford, if I can hear the difference then it's not 'real' enough.
    I am not, however, opposed to the idea of multi-effects - in fact, I think they're a great concept - but I don't think the sound's there yet!

I have no doubt in my mind that it will be in a few years though!

Another thing for me is not having all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, when playing live... I can probably live without one or more individual pedals..but if a MFX box was to go down then it would all go down. Sure, I could carry individual spares of vital stuff, but isn't that defeating the whole point?

Hey, what do I know, i'm still recording on analogue!

As for Line 6... well, I don't understand what the name means, but I don't suppose that's really important! All the Line 6 stuff i've played through has been ok... but i've not been able to get any tones out of it that i've really enjoyed.
    Other folks like them and, as ever, your mileage may vary!

Tommy.

Talking about studio work, I actually do my modulation, verb and delays effects, apart from the basic guitar tone (whether amp or modeller), in my DAW...
    Last edited by seagate; 08-18-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: clarification...

I don't do effects at all! No, really, nothing. A smidgen of reverb (normally a plate if at all possible).
    I generally approach recording from a different perspective to most folks nowadays! I'm an engineer, not a producer, I capture what's going on, rather than create it. I don't like making decisions beyond panning and volume inside a box!

TFF Stage Crew

When it comes to recording I'll use pedals for OD & distorion, but all the modulation effects I use are just the plug-ins that came w/my ProTools system.
    I also have a POD & now know that I hate it; but I guess there are some useable sounds in there. I think the trick to tweaking the POD is turning the knobs in small increments. And as soon as you get a sound you like, you'd better SAVE IT. It might take a long time to find it again!

Well I don't play live or in the studio, but I by far prefer playing through an amp. I have a Vox AD modeling amp, but I really still prefer to use my pedals as opposed to reaching down and twisting the amp model knob.

I typically set it on the Blackface mode because I love it's super clean Fender sound, and I use any of three pedal in various combinations, TS9, DS1, or Bad Monkey. I can get all kinds of different sounds this way.

When I do stab at recoding, I use a Johnson J-Station with a different TS9 running into it.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanbl1
    Hello Forum,

I was wondering, what do you guys prefer to use live and in the studio, individual pedals or Effects Processors.

Some say that individual pedals are better, as you can get they exact sound you want and quickly. Others claim that the Effects Processors are the way to go as you have more choice hmm...?

I just bought the PODXT Live and to tell you the truth, there's a huge learning curve the the darn thing.

One more question!! What do you think of the Line6 Stuff?

Thanks again,
    John B.

I don't use any pedals in the studio. If I need overdrive, I turn the amp up. Overdrive from a cranked tweed amp sounds better, by an order of magnitude, than any pedal. I don't use flange, chorus or any of that crap. If I need a little slapback, I use software.

As for Line 6 stuff...

Forum Member

I have tried several modeling amps and gadgets, from the Roland VG8 many years ago, to Line 6, to Fender Cyber Twin, to Vox.

I have a Vox ToneLab SE pedalboard. It's interface is the most like a amp/pedal setup, and it sounds more real to me than a lot of the other stuff. Most stuff out there sounds too processed for my taste - though your taste may be different.

I am still happier with a real amp and pedals. The Vox is great for keeping the stage volume down in a small place, but it just doesn't FEEL like an amp.

The advantage of a modeling amp is to quickly pull up a variety of amp sounds and effects. That may be more important than pure tone if you play a wide variety of stuff in a cover band.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookerman
    As for Line 6 stuff...
    Well, you know what they say about opinions...

We need another modeller/amp thread just like we need another rosewood/maple thread.

But thanks for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookerman
    I don't use any pedals in the studio. If I need overdrive, I turn the amp up. Overdrive from a cranked tweed amp sounds better, by an order of magnitude, than any pedal.
    Using a clean boost can add some snap and attack to that already heavy breathing amp. Make it more Stones/Mellencamp crunch than blues grind.

Now that I've got my Deluxe finally tweaked to taste, I can understand Fezz' man-love for Bob.

I almost never turn this thing off.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Using a clean boost can add some snap and attack to that already heavy breathing amp. Make it more Stones/Mellencamp crunch than blues grind.

Now that I've got my Deluxe finally tweaked to taste, I can understand Fezz' man-love for Bob.

I almost never turn this thing off.
    I have a Fulltone Fat Boost, which is a Bad Bob with a tone control. J got it for me for Xmas one year so it has sentimental as well as practical value. I'd consider using the Fat Boost in the studio but that's about it.

TFF Stage Crew

Fezz--I'm gonna email you this, but I think I should send you my Fatboost since it's not currently on my board just to let you A/B it with the BadBob. I'd be interested to know the differences from someone who knows the BB so thoroughly. Check yer email, brah.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess
    I don't do effects at all! No, really, nothing. A smidgen of reverb (normally a plate if at all possible).
    I generally approach recording from a different perspective to most folks nowadays! I'm an engineer, not a producer, I capture what's going on, rather than create it. I don't like making decisions beyond panning and volume inside a box!
    Well. that's fine but an important part of any rock/blues/jazz guitar player is the tone that the artist considers an important part of his style. I can not imagine (for example) Robin Trower recording clean and leaving the rest entirely to a recording engineer.
    I could have been someone... but so could anyone

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    The BB is the only pedal I use these days. I didn't use it for "Red Letter Blues" though. That's just a cranked amp.
    Fezz, if I may, where can I hear the Red Letter Blues?
    Thanks, Jaremi

I've done both, recording AND live with "multis" AND "indie" pedals...
    I prefer using individual pedals.

Man I picked up some great stuff from all of you... Thanks again :)

I'm still on a bit of a learning curve with my PODXL Live pedal. It takes alot of time go get clean tones on it, ah well on-wards and up-wards
    John Blessing

Sean, when I first started using Line6 stuff I had trouble too. There is just so much to tweak (I use a TonePort UX1). One thing that really helped was getting some user patches from the Line6 site. For clean there are some SRV Lenny type patches that I started with. I still felt they had too much verb but were closer to what I was looking for. I was then able to tweak them to my satisfaction. The stuff that I used was created by Line6 employees found here:

http://line6.com/customtone/

Just filter on your product and Line6 crafted tones.

Thanks for that Bzimm, I'll download a few tones tonight, and have play...
    John Blessing

I think the key to getting good results out of any Line6 stuff is to start with a basic amp and speaker model, turning off all effects, concentrating on the basics. Once you have a tone that does it for you add effects to taste. Pretty much the same way you'd work with an amp.

Quote Originally Posted by YaReMi
    Well. that's fine but an important part of any rock/blues/jazz guitar player is the tone that the artist considers an important part of his style. I can not imagine (for example) Robin Trower recording clean and leaving the rest entirely to a recording engineer.

I wholeheartedly agree: that's exactly my approach. I record what I want to hear, not record something and then muck about with it after. If you ask me it's more effective to make decisions regarding tone prior to actually hitting record (situation permitting, of course).
    Perhaps I should have made that a bit clearer!

Tommy.

It's clear now,
    thanks Tommy,
    Jaremi

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Here you go:

Red Letter Blues. My Fezzsquire through a 4 x10 5e3 mic on the front @ 6' away, mic on the rear 3' away with the phase flipped.
    Thanks a lot Chris,
    Nice phrasing, very well composed solo.
    What mike did you use on the rear?
    Jaremi