Thread: Turnarounds

Turnarounds

Is there and online guide or book that has helped anyone with learning and developing Blues turnarounds? Anyone have a favorite player that has amazing turnarounds. I dig SRV's work but just curious to hear about other's personal faves.

Re: Turnarounds

I was on my way to a gig last year, about 35 miles into the 40 mile trip I got a call from my wife. I had her keys and she needed them while I was gone. I had to turnaround and go back. Good thing I leave early for these things or i would've been late after I gave the keys and turned arouind to go back.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I was on my way to a gig last year, about 35 miles into the 40 mile trip I got a call from my wife. I had her keys and she needed them while I was gone. I had to turnaround and go back. Good thing I leave early for these things or i would've been late after I gave the keys and turned arouind to go back.
    What keys were they. It must have limited your repertoire, unless you're good at transposing.

Just the cars keys but I think they clink in A#
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

As long as you're not talking about the key to the highway.

Man, at least answer his question before you goof around....

Albert King had great turnarounds.

Almost any good blues scale book will teach some basic turnarounds. Most turnarounds are simple variations. They teach you in any key. Auto, home, boat, garage...
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Ronnie Earl plays some great turnarounds, which he probably copped from Tiny or Slim ?

Google a few like this one :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...narounds&hl=en
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

Forum Member

1-6-2-5 is one of my faves.

Forum Member

There's an awesome book you can get from musicdispatch.com it's called Blues Turnarounds item number 00695602 it has every turnaround you'll ever need. Well worth the $14.95

If you can find the Blues Primer by Keith Wyatt from G.I.T. it has a great thing on turnarounds.

For me, I think Robert Johnson wrote the book on turnarounds that SRV, Clapton and everyone else has been playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    Man, at least answer his question before you goof around....
    You are right telecast. Iowegan, I apologize.

So now, to offer something. Hmm... This may be in left field or in a direction of no interest to you, but I learn alot listening to recordings of old standards, Billy Holliday, say, or, lately, Django Rheinhardt. I don't play in these styles, but I always hear interesting changes, and it's intructive to me when I take the time to work them out. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by wellstrung
    You are right telecast. Iowegan, I apologize.
    No problemo, it's a phrase that begs for a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by wellstrung
    So now, to offer something. Hmm... This may be in left field or in a direction of no interest to you, but I learn alot listening to recordings of old standards, Billy Holliday, say, or, lately, Django Rheinhardt. I don't play in these styles, but I always hear interesting changes, and it's intructive to me when I take the time to work them out. FWIW.
    I never thought of Billie Holliday tunes but I'm going to check that out, also Django didn't cross my mind. I've been listening a lot to the "3 Kings" plus a big helping of T-Bone. I just dig the approach of all those cats they just had so much mojo in their styles.

Thanks SRV Fan I didn't think that there would be a book just on turnarounds but there is! I didn't even google it. I guess I should never assume anything when it comes to music theory and style books.

Thanks Gents!

Forum Member

No problem, I think Music Dispatch has a book, CD, DVD for everything. Their a Guitar Teacher and Students best friend.

lately i have been learning some of Johnny Winter's intro's & turnarounds. I got it from Guitar Port thing that i subscribe too. They cover more music & lessons than I will ever care to learn. Pretty neat source for learning and practice and only around $ 7 a month the cost of a guitar magazine.