Thread: AEA R92... have you heard one?

Gravity Jim

AEA R92... have you heard one?

Yo, ya'll, esp[ecially fezz...

Have you heard one of these mics? Do they require really high-gain preamps?

We're having a great summer, and I'm on the verge of buying a ribbon... the reviews on this have been fantastic, but having written a few magazine reviews myself, I'm not so quick to trust them...

Gravity Jim

Re: AEA R92... have you heard one?

Well, the 84 isn't that much more... about $160 difference in street prices, is what I'm seeing. I do like the idea of the lower proximity effect in the 92, and everybody praises the high end... but the 84 gets raves.

What about a pre? Have you heard the Universal Audio SOLO 110 and 610? I would only need a single channel (the kind of multi-input stuff I do radio, VOs, and the pres in my console are fine for that), and these look like a bargain.

I'm thinking of adding one channel of pristine, breathtaking live audio... vocal, acoustic guitar, woodwinds, solo strings. A good pre would make all my current mics sound gooder, too, but I'm mostly looking at it to match the ribbon... no point buying a killer mic and then pre-amping it with the pres in the board.

Gravity Jim

Re: AEA R92... have you heard one?

Well, that's what I'm thinking... a AEA mic and a UA Solo mic pre. Just need to decide between the Precision Class A or the tube. Should open up a huge world of wonderful new acoustic sounds 'round this joint. I seriously cannot wait to record a saxophone this way. I expect to experience a cardiac event.

I just have to wait and confirm a couple more of the projects: I'm looking at so much new work right now (most of it jingle stuff) that the next 6 weeks could be more billing than our best 12-week quarter ever. I'll need to buy some stuff just to avoid paying taxes on it.