Thread: Your thoughts?

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Your thoughts?

Thinking of picking up this body

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-Telecaste...QQcmdZViewItem

Sent the seller an email regarding weight. He did not have specific weight, but said that others like it have been 4 1/2 lbs.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Re: Your thoughts?

I'm not too crazy about how you can see the thickness of the veneer along the edge of the top. That's just me though.

I've also heard both good and bad things about Mighty Mite.

Are you set on a quilt top? There are plenty of nice genuine Fender bodies on eBay.

I have heard both ways on MM as well, thus my question. Wasn't looking for a quilt, but say this and the price and thought I'd ask.

The Strat project was so easy vs this Esquire one. I can't seem to make up my mind on the look I want. Thought this one would look interesting w/ a maple cap neck and a white perloid guard. Haven;t seen anything else over the last week that looked inspiring on ebay as far as a body.

Could be cool, but it is crying out for binding on at least the top edge.

I thought it was kind of interesting that the buyer couldn't bother to weigh it for you considering how his listing goes on and on about how his customer service is so much better than his competitors.

It's probably a decent body though. Personally I don't think weight alone indicates a good or bad sounding guitar. It just indicates if the thing is going to destroy your back or not over the course of a night's gig.
    s'all goof.

Many thanks all. I passed on it. I think I will be taking a different direction depending on my call to Reranch.

Forum Member

Nice wood grain. If light weight is what you're after check this out.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies...on=tele_hollow

I built a Strat with one of these Warmoth hollow bodies (walnut) and the entire guitar weighs in at just at 5 pounds including neck and hardware. The tone of these hollow bodies is very nice too. They have a certain resonance that solid bodies just don't have. You can "feel" the difference when youy play them.

http://www.broadjam.com/userimages/10585_10995.jpg

The weight of "others like it" doesn't really tell you much about the one you're asking about.

If you're doing an Esquire, it seems like it'd be a shame to get the fancy top, and then cover half of it with a pickguard.
    You could probably get something unrouted (for a neck p'up) from Warmouth.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Thank you. I have been considering a hollow body. I am curious if it affects tone or just resonance. The tone I am looking for is more of Jeff Beck's Esquire tone (or even his Tele tone on CWEAL on youtube)

Yeah covering with a guard,,,. Well I have almost gone full circle on this. Between basic Esquire (finished) to a pretty one (finished), to an exotic wood one (un finished and would oil), I couldn;t be more indecisive. A portion of that is being driven by where I live. It is 94*+ and the humidity rarely drops below 90%. Without access to a controled spray environment, I am unsure of the quality that could be produced.

Right now I have an email on this to Bill at Reranch. If he thinks it would be a success, I going to go for a sonic blue.

I had convinced myself to go to solid, now you got me 2nd guessing again. Lighter would be better. If I want weight, I'll dig out my Norlin Lester. Or that Tele I picked up at the store. HOly cow it must have been close to 9 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack
    Thank you. I have been considering a hollow body. I am curious if it affects tone or just resonance. The tone I am looking for is more of Jeff Beck's Esquire tone (or even his Tele tone on CWEAL on youtube)
    I've seen that clip too. Wow!

I'm not sure how a hollow/chambered Esquire's going to behave compared to solid ash.

I have a Guild Bluesbird. It's chambered, but it's a very different approach than what Warmoth does.
    Depending on how you're playing, you can notice a different sort of bloom to notes played.
    Gravity Jim built his Zencaster using a chambered mahogany Strat body from Warmoth. Again, it miles from being and Esquire.
    He swears my that thing, and gets a staggering variety of music out of it.

A lot will depend on your use of whatever you wind up building.
    A chambered Esquire is a unique idea, but I can't picture it being terrible.

Good luck.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Thanks NeoFauve,

think I will place a call to Warmoth.

OK called Warmoth. Quote " with a hollow body in ash, a bit of the highs will be loss and some mids will be slightly enhanced".

When I referenced the tone I am after, they said either config would do it, and that choice of wood and electroinics would play a much greater role in the guitar itself ( IE: not factoring in the guitarist's fingers and ability) that solid vs hollow.

Thinking I am back to a light solid body (something under 4 1/2) due to price.

Heard back from Bill at Reranch. Sort of a short answer, but it seems I would only have issues with darker colors (which explains my previous attempt).