Thread: Lap Steel Questions

Lap Steel Questions

I may be doing a country side project and was asked if I could play lap steel which I have never tried. How difficult is it to learn if one already knows how to play guitar? Do you keep in one tuning?

Also what would be some lap steels to consider buying?

Re: Lap Steel Questions

At best, I'm just a dabbler, for now.
    I wouldn't venture to say how hard or easy it is to pick up.
    It's a very different approach, so if you're someone who is not too wed to one way of operating, I'd say that's an advantage.
    If you play some slide, that'd be another one.

Explore this website:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html

There's a lot of info there.
    Especially check out some of the tunings and mess around with some slide on one of your current guitars. That may give you some inkling of whether you'll dig it.

As far as instruments go, there are many inexpensive, I guess you'd call 'em "bargain" steels out there. Lots on ebay.
    They'll have a generic strat-style p'up and hardware.

But for maybe another $100 or so, you can get into "vintage" Valco-made "student models" from the 40's-60's. These are often nearly identical electronically to similar aged upscale models, but less gig-worn.
    These have a very cool, clear but meaty sounding p'up. You'll see basically the same setup on a wide range of models. They can be had from $200 (student models) to $500 and on up, depending on rarity and snazziness.
    Here's a typical student model:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steels/...dentDeluxe.JPG

The nice thing is the Valco-made stuff are both plentiful and affordable, and will at least hold their value, if you tire of it.
    There are some deals on Rick "Electros" (the "Horseshoe" p'up kicks azz & is very desireable) but Ricks, Fenders and Gibson tend to be costly.
    The newer bargain stuff will be a tag sale item.
    You can find out plenty about these on Brad's Page of Steel.
    Also, VG featured a two (?) series in recent issues on Lap Steels.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Wow, Awesome... thanks so much for all the info!

Never got to even dabble with one and can't say I've even come across any lap steel in a music store. I've always been intruged by the Beatles use of one on LIB and the work that David Gilmore has with one.

Time to broaden my horizons though and learning some country stuff on guitar will even be a bit of a challenge but fortunately this gig will be low key and more for fun.

Well........NeoFauve has said it all....

i hear the chandler lap steels are pretty good, and not too pricey.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    i hear the chandler lap steels are pretty good, and not too pricey.
    Cool. I've been watching Craig's List for a decent used one and to be able to try it before I buy it. But if I get in a pinch I may just have to buy one new.

I have a Smith Melobar - nothing fancy, just a good piece of wood, good hardware, Kent Armstrong humbucker. These are pretty inexpensive, too.

Forum Member

Ive got a friend that has a 59 or 60 fender (champ maybe?) lap steel that he wouldnt mind getting rid of..he bought it brand new along with a fender tweed champ amp when he was young and played in a band.....the lap is still in great shape. was kept in a case and has player wear.the champ I bought in poor condition and fixed it up ....If you are interested, email me off here and ill get you in contact with him... I dont know if ill get in trouble here mentioning it but if it is just delete my post...Im thinking since ya mentioned ya was looking