Thread: Got myself a kinman woodstock

Forum Member

Got myself a kinman woodstock

I just recently replaced my vintage noiseless in the neck of my Am Dlx Fat Strat with the kinman woodstock... and I seriously must say that you have to listen really hard for a difference. The only really difference I can here is that I get a little more of that spank when you... spank your strings :P And there is a little bit more clarity in the upper register, but I still get a really muddy tone when playing above the 12th fret on the low e string. Im not so sure that was worth 95 plus 18 dollars shipping... but what do I know. Maybe it's my amp or something (HRDlx) or I'm just really bad at knowing what sounds good.

Re: Got myself a kinman woodstock

If you got the AVn69, which is the neck/middle model of the woodstock set, that's a high output pup, maybe you need to lower it a bit under the lower strings. But, even then, you could get much more clarity if you had the AVn56 instead (which is a more vintage sounding, low ouput pup), or the AVn63, aka "Belltone". Anyway, if after lowering, you are still unsatisfied, try contact Chris Kinman directly, for a replacement (I've heard he does this), he can also give you advice of what's better for your axe.

Forum Member

thanks man, I think I'll go do that. But I'm not sure he'd take the pickup I have back. For some reason while I was screwing it in, the green bassplate thing cracked right next to the scew hole.

How is he with damaged pickup returns?

I really don't know... But you've got nothing to lose just asking him.

Forum Member

MasterChief,

it sounds to me like you ordered the wrong pickup, perhaps the AVn-56 would have been a better choice for what you want.

If you want to exchange the '69 we will charge for repairing or restoring it to new condition. It sound like it needs a whole new bottom coil assembly to fix that split baseplate at a cost of $40.

Forum Member

Yeah after really thinking about it and reading the descriptions it really does sound like the pickup I should have gotten.

And how should I pay? Would cash be alright?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief
    Yeah after really thinking about it and reading the descriptions it really does sound like the pickup I should have gotten.

And how should I pay? Would cash be alright?
    MasterChief....you might want to email Chris. He doesn't show up here all that often. It's probably best taken care of privately, anyway.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

Precisely what I was thinking. Chris is very careful to follow TFF rules and not engage in sales discussions in the general forum area, so it'd be nice if nobody tried to corner him into doing so. As I wrote in another thread, he's excellent about reading & responding to his email. Just go to his site and email him from there. Thanks.

Forum Member

alright, sorry bout that. Didn't mean to cause any trouble.