Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds(MERGED threads)

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4-12

One more thing, here's my idea for a very cool little amp:

New head style cabinet for the amp. Make it as small as you can but wide enough to match the speaker cab. There's a vent in the bottom of the chassis, so cut an opening in the bottom of the cabinet for it. The feet will keep it far enough off the speaker cab for air flow.

The bottom would be a 2-10 or 2-12 slant cabinet, built like a 1/2 of a Marshall slant cab. Think of it as a quarter stack. Partially closed back, but not all the way so it's not too directional or bassy. speaker would be 16 ohm in parallel.

Use some nice mahogany dimensional lumber, dovetailed joints, finished in a natural oil. No corners, just a handle and feet. Route the outside edges with a 5/8" or 3/4" roundover bit. Wheat colored grill cloth.

I think I just wet myself....
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Forum Member

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4-12

Sounds like a plan. I was also imagining a compact 12" with the controls on top and at the rear (ala Blues Jr. or Classic 30) but you think that might cause cooling problems with the amp oriented like that?

You have to keep the vents open and it's gravity cooled, so I wouldn't face the vent on the rear of the amp downwards.

Forum Member

Yeah, looks like pure convection cooling.

Forum Member

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4

Given that the "Effects Return" is apparently placed just before the Master control and Valve Reactor/power amp, one of the VT (wouldn't need the more advanced VTX) combos might make a cool amp for use with another modeller like a POD. The choice of amp type still has an effect even at that stage, though.

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
    It's an older article, but I don't think anything has changed with the Valvetronics architecture (just some minor teaking of the power amp for the Neo-Dogs, I think). I didn't realize the Valvetronics stuff had been around a few years (been well out of the loop until recently, though).
    I remember when they came out with the Valve Reactor and the Valvetronix technology. They placed a lot of ads in Guitar magazine in 2001 or so hyping it. I even dug out an issue from October 2001 the other night, and it had an insert-type ad...almost like a brochure...in heavier paper stock. I remember reading the ad when I got that issue and thinking that it might be interesting, but I never played one of the amps until late last year. But maybe that's good because it's given them a couple of years to tweak it.

All I have to say is that I'm mightily impressed with my little VR30.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

Went to Elderly Instruments tonight to look at an SG a friend was considering. They had a fairly full complement of Vox amps, including the 60VTX. He played and I tweaked, only put about 10 minutes into it, but it was pretty impressive. I loved the AC30 sound with the gain on about 2 or 3, the master volume full up, and the power selector on the back on 1 watt.

Very cool, and the amp is surprisingly light for it's size.

I can feel myself weakening.

Forum Member

I loved the AC30 sound with the gain on about 2 or 3, the master volume full up, and the power selector on the back on 1 watt.
    I think the key is to keep the Master as high as possible and use the attenuator to control volume. If I need to use my VR15 at quiet levels, it loses a lot...not nearly as interesting.

I was playing this thing on the AC15 with my Strat -- heaven, then later on the UK70s with my Yamaha SG2000 -- bliss. I'm discovering my guitars all over again.

I feel like I've stumbled upon a Harem of beautiful and eager women armed with copies of the "Karma Sutra" _and_ the "Perfumed Garden". Decisions, decisions...

-Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    I was playing this thing on the AC15 with my Strat -- heaven, then later on the UK70s with my Yamaha SG2000 -- bliss. I'm discovering my guitars all over again.

I feel like I've stumbled upon a Harem of beautiful and eager women armed with copies of the "Karma Sutra" _and_ the "Perfumed Garden". Decisions, decisions...

-Mark
    I havent made it through all of my guitars yet. I like the AC15 with the attenuator way down and the gain/volumes dimed.

Not sure where I read it...it was either here or in a review of the VR series...but someone said something about a sort of "delay" when switching channels with a footswitch.

I just got my Vox VF002 footswitch today, and I'm experiencing the same sort of effect.

Any way to fix this or should I get used to timing this thing when I want to switch channels?

EDIT - I have the VR30 amp.
    Last edited by hi-watt357; 01-25-2006 at 08:07 PM. Reason: specifying amp type

- Scott.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hi-watt357
    Not sure where I read it...it was either here or in a review of the VR series...but someone said something about a sort of "delay" when switching channels with a footswitch.

I just got my Vox VF002 footswitch today, and I'm experiencing the same sort of effect.

Any way to fix this or should I get used to timing this thing when I want to switch channels?

EDIT - I have the VR30 amp.
    I'm not familiar with the VR30, how long is the "delay"?

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    I'm not familiar with the VR30, how long is the "delay"?
    This is the Vox VR30:

And this is the footswitch I got:

As far as the description of the delay...it's, like, the channel doesn't switch right when I hit the footswitch. The switch will click and then the channel will switch. I'll have to listen more closely tonight, but it's maybe possible that it mutes for a moment or something.

Again, I thought I had read something either here or in a review, but didn't know whether it was something that could be fixed or does another footswitch not have this problem?

- Scott.

I've never noticed a delay when switching the VR15, but I'll check.

I've heard complaints about other things having a delay. The Boss ME50 comes to mind, it was a major gripe early-on. But when you think about it, how often do you switch in the middle of a note? There's typically a rest going from one sound to another, like for starting a solo. Most of these delays are in milliseconds.

Also, depending on the switch, you might need to remove your foot quickly. I've run into switches before that click when you step on it, but don't actually release until the switch goes back to it's normal position. Try doing it quickly and see if that helps.

Forum Member

Do the lights work in the footswitch? Maybe it has to be connected directly to the switch with no LED in the circuit.

Do the lights work in the footswitch? Maybe it has to be connected directly to the switch with no LED in the circuit.
    The LED's do work. When I did a search for footswitches for the VR30, this one came up, so I would think that there would be no issue with it. There is another footswitch that, apparently, will work with the VR30 that has no LED's.

I didn't have time last night to tinker with it to see if what telecast said is what's happening (releasing my foot quicker), so I'll see if I can do that tonight.

- Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    I've never noticed a delay when switching the VR15, but I'll check.

I've heard complaints about other things having a delay. The Boss ME50 comes to mind, it was a major gripe early-on. But when you think about it, how often do you switch in the middle of a note? There's typically a rest going from one sound to another, like for starting a solo. Most of these delays are in milliseconds.

Also, depending on the switch, you might need to remove your foot quickly. I've run into switches before that click when you step on it, but don't actually release until the switch goes back to it's normal position. Try doing it quickly and see if that helps.
    Ok, I've just gotten done playing with it again. Here's what happens...

I was playing a simple 3-chord pattern clean with the intention of kicking in the distortion channel when it goes to a different chord the next section (say, going from verse to chorus), and when I hit the footswitch as I start to play the "chorus" part, the attack of when I hit the next chord is cut off. The only way I could make it so the attack next chord is heard distorted is if I timed it to switch as I'm in between chords when going to the next part. My Peavey Classic 50 has channel switching via a footswitch, and there's no delay at all. If I kick in the distortion for a chorus or a chord, it's there right when I hit the switch.

Which just gave me an idea...I'll try the Peavey footswitch with the Vox amp and see what happens.

I shall return.

- Scott.

Nope...the lag or delay is still there when using the Peavey footswitch (which has no LED's).

This kinda sucks.

- Scott.

Forum Member

Just wanted to be part of the action.

I messed with mine tonight, and did find a slight hesitation when switching channels. It is very minor, but if you're playing quickly, it does cut of part of the attack.

I'll be making a record next week out in the Scottish countryside and, on top of the deluxes, Mesas and Marshalls we're using, yup, a VR30.

I'm going to try it through a ridiculously expensive Mesa 412. If it can handle that then I may have to keep it.
    I fully intend to to play it LOUD!

Forum Member

Very cool! Let us know how it goes.

Forum Member

Compared a 60VTX with a 30VT for a while this morning at GC. Damn are they ever close. Both truly sweet tonally, and while the 30 is missing some stuff, I think my choice is basically coming down to the limited ability to store sounds on the 30. Still, for a fraction of the price ($239 vs. $799), I'm re-analysing my needs there...

Forum Member

Jack,

Have you considered upgrading the speaker in the AD30VT?

I think the 50 watt version w/ 1-12 absolutely kills the already impressive 30 watt with 1-10.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by concert410
    I think the 50 watt version w/ 1-12 absolutely kills the already impressive 30 watt with 1-10.
    Did you do a one on one comparison? I've thought about upgrading, but I like the small size. The circuitry is essentially identical, but the 50W model has a 12" Celestion. I think the 30W with a speaker upgrade would close the gap to a major extent. Many people on another forum are upgrading the speaker on the AD30VT to a Celestion G10 and report a big improvement.
    Last edited by JAM; 01-30-2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: ??

Forum Member

Have you considered upgrading the speaker in the AD30VT?
    No...I don't own one, and I thought it would be inappropriate to attempt a speaker swap right there in the store. ;)

Really? They seem pretty close in design for one to absolutely kill the other. I didn't get even close to loud with them, though, and I'd imagine any differences are magnified at higher volumes.

One thing...I really, really dug the Univibe effect on the VTX. Cool! If I did decide to go the VTX route, I wouldn't bother shelling out $800 for the single 12" when I could get the 120w head and 2x12 Neodog cab for ~$250 more (and why the AD120VTX combo is $150 more than the head/cab is beyond me, btw).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
    No...I don't own one, and I thought it would be inappropriate to attempt a speaker swap right there in the store
    That would be a bit awkward!

That would be a bit awkward!
    oh, come on, a good power screwdriver, pair of pliers, somebody to distract the staff, you could do it. Pretend it was Mission:Impossible or something :rl

Jack has no sense of adventure.

Forum Member

Such shyness is my Achilles heel...always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    One more thing, here's my idea for a very cool little amp:

New head style cabinet for the amp. Make it as small as you can but wide enough to match the speaker cab. There's a vent in the bottom of the chassis, so cut an opening in the bottom of the cabinet for it. ...
    Which describes a 1960's Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve exactly!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

For practice levels, I'm quite the fan of the AD30VT with its single 10" speaker all by itself, but when I patch the little amp into the clean channel of my big one (MM 210 HD130 combo), the sound is so big and so good it's scary.

As the thread title suggests, to get more out of these little guys you simply need to match up with a bigger and better cab. But personally, I think it's nice to have the flexibility of the smaller box too... I bought this thing as a practice amp, after all.

What a practice amp!

-Mark

Forum Member

Even on its own the AD30VT gets fairly loud. I'm having a great time playing with it.

Even on its own the AD30VT gets fairly loud. I'm having a great time playing with it.
    Absolutely. My 9yo daughter has just started to learn to play drums -- it's the amp I use for "jammin'" along with her. She's getting pretty good, too! :)

-Mark

Forum Member

I'm digging this amp. Still finding some great sounds. Not a one trick pony by any means!

I'm digging this amp. Still finding some great sounds. Not a one trick pony by any means!
    Yeah, that's for sure. Almost too much to get a handle on! Usually, if you get one or two really usable sounds out of an amp for a particular guitar, that's great. With this thing, it seems like endless choice... which guitar today? Which amp? :)

Actually, I've been thinking of posting some stuff into the JamZone just to let people hear some of what I'm hearing with this thing (and to showcase my blinding technique, of course). I've not figured out exactly what I need to do this, though... any pointers to the mini-HowTo?

-Mark

Forum Member

Even with the VR15, which I now only use on the normal channel about 1/3-1/2-way up (as one trick as it gets), I'm jazzed by the different tones it lets out of my Strat.

Actually, I've been thinking of posting some stuff into the JamZone just to let people hear some of what I'm hearing with this thing (and to showcase my blinding technique, of course).
    Please do!

For interested parties here in Australia might I suggest you pick up a copy of Guitarist Australia , 7, Feb/March, 2006 and have a look at pages 114-115. The VR15 & VR30 are glowingly reviewed and sound samples can be found on the accompanying CD. The 12AX7 and its attendant Valve Reactor technology draw special comment, as does the versalitilty of the amps in reproducing a variety of good tones. Bang for buck, the review finds, these Vox amps represent marvellous buys.

Tenebrae

So the question remains: If they saw fit to discontinue them, what must they have up their sleeves?