Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds(MERGED threads)

We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds(MERGED threads)

These words are printed in the onwer's manual for my Vox VR15.

And they ain't kidding.

I got my replacement Friday via UPS after getting a bad one from MF for Christmas. I've been playing it daily since then, and am utterly amazed at the sound of this smallish amp.

17.5 Lbs., 14" wide by about 15 1/2" high. 15 watts, 8" Vox speaker.

First off, this amp is freakin' LOUD. Way louder than you'd expect. I am starting to believe modern electronics are getting close to bridging the gap between tube and SS volume. I'd like to A/B it with a Blues Junior, and will be doing a comparison with my modded 24 watt Traynor YGM-3.

It sounds great, more body and fullness than any 8" amp I've heard to date. It has two channels and two OD choices on channel 2, like an HRD. The way it's designed, the clean channel can be run very hot with almost no breakup. The OD channel has a crunchy setting and a Metalmania switch (called OD2, the metal comment was mine ;) ), both are controllable with gain.

It uses the same technology as Vox's AVT amps. The 12AX7 is coupled to a very small tube amplifier which is in turn run into a 'transparent' SS main amp. The result is very tube-like sound and feel. This is not a tube preamp/SS main, or visa versa. It is unique to Vox.

I had my buddy bring his Pathfinder over to A/B, since that's the reason I decided to try one of these out. The result is that they are two completely different animals. I would've suspected they'd be closer, but not at all.

The Pathfinder has a boosted bass and sounds warmer, however, the bass will fart when the boost is engaged. No way you could use it with 'buckers. The VR15 is brighter and punchier, no bass fart. I suspect in a band situation it would cut much better.

The Pathfinder has 1 channel and a boost. As previously stated, the VR15 has two channels and 2 OD choices.

The Pathfinder has reverb and trem, the VR has neither. This is unfortunate, I would've liked to have reverb.

They both do clean very well, the crunch on the VR15 is better, probably due to the tube. But when you get into pure distortion the difference was negligible.

If there was any difference in volume it was impossibe to tell.

Neither amp won, both did well. Both are loud enough and sound good enough for small gigs, rehearsals, and auditions.

Now, back to the title:

I plugged this little guy into my Marshall 4-10 cab this morning. HOLY CRAP! The volume increased 2-fold, and the tone...(I hate that word, but...) was incredible. This setup was plenty loud enough to use at ANY gig, I am not exaggerating. If you need more than this, you need to mic up anyway.

And the final word:

$89 on closeout.

Go check one out before they're gone. This is the sleeper of the year.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4-12

Update:

Well, THAT wasn't supposed to happen.

I just A/B'd it with my Custom Traynor YGM-3, which is 24 watts all-tube. I hooked the VR15 up to the Weber 10's in my other Traynor to make it a fair fight, since the YGM is running a 1-12/1-10 combo, both high-efficieny Jensens.

There was no comparison. The VR15 through the Webers absolutely smoked the Traynor in sound AND volume. Yes, you read that correctly. The 15 SS watt amp run through 2-10's smoked my 24 watt tube amp, hands down. It could not hold up on it's own, however. It was as loud, but didn't sound as good.

Everything I know about amps just went out the window.

I'm not surprised no one is reponding to this, it's tough to get excited about a toy amp.

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4-12

I'll respond.

I believe every word you say.

As much as I love the sound of a nice warm valve amp,there's some stonking good SS out there.

There's also the other option of a good player playing through a really shitty amp,and still sounding better than a bad player through a boutique amp.
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was

Telecast, you sound quiet shaken...your world has been knocked off its axis

These VR15s use the tech from the Tonelab boards/Valvetronix amps if I recall correctly. I've heard both recently and I'm of the opinion that Vox are really onto something with their modelling tech...it's the best in the business as far as I'm concerned (I like it more then Line 6's stuff, not that I really know much about all this digital modelling stuff. it just sounds better to me). I'm not sure if the division between valve and solid state is as clear cut/valid as it once was...It seems to me that we have a genuine 3rd category now: hybrid, digital whatever you want to call it and it is producing some pretty amazing results.

Is the Vox "just" a SS amp; I don't think that it is. If you have a listen to the demos of the Valvetronix/Tonelab on the Vox site and check out the thinking behind it, I really think that we might have left the old world behind in terms of what one can achieve with a hybrid amps. And that's just it, hybrid . It's not a plain old SS world any more. Maybe that's what surprised you.

One thing your valve amp has, though, is its capacity to be radically changed within itself (tubes, speakers, circuits), ie. you can tweak it up and run the A/B against the Vox again...the Vox will still be the Vox, your Traynor will be reoriented, tuned up, if you will. Valve amps have that sense of "aliveness" about them that responds to user interaction, whereas the Vox, as good an amp as it is, cannot be interacted with on such a deep level.

Well, what I say is probably a load of bollocks, but I thought you needed to hear something given that you appeared a little shocked :)!

Tenebrae

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tenebrae
    Valve amps have that sense of "aliveness" about them that responds to user interaction, whereas the Vox, as good an amp as it is, cannot be interacted with on such a deep level.
    Personally, I think it's just a matter of time before technology makes the difference indistinguishable.

Sheesh, I still remember the first generation of SS amps, and they were god-awful stinkers. They certainly have come a long way since then. I was pleasantly surprised with a 1x12 Peavey Bandit I picked up in Texas some 11 years ago or so for chump change. Daned thing had some ballzzzzzzz for its size.

I'm still an all-tube, guy, but I see a time coming where I'll find nirvana in a SS box. There are some gooduns out there, for sure.
    Visit me and my band at:
    THE ROCKIN' ROAD DOGS;
    REVERB NATION;
    or on
    FACEBOOK

"Live Free or Die"

Forum Member

$89 where? MF has it for $119. Thanks...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wisch
    The one for 119 is a different amp (Pathfinder 15R). I cant seem to find the VR15, looks like they're selling the ADxxVT series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisch

Guitar Center. MF will price match, that's where I got it from.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    The one for 119 is a different amp (Pathfinder 15R). I cant seem to find the VR15, looks like they're selling the ADxxVT series.
    Actually, it's both. They are being closed out. MF may be out by now, it was getting slim when I re-ordered mine last Monday.

Tenebrae:

Yeah, I understand the way they designed these things, one of the reasons I was drawn to it as opposed to the Pathfinder. As unlikely as it seems, the 12AX7 tucked back in iot's own little micro amp makes a big difference in the sound.

The YGM-3 has been tuned up and tweaked. I have an amp guru near here that kicks butt, he does all my work and mods. The YGM still sounds great, but the Vox has more definition.

Yeah, my world is slightly shaken. I am a tube only guy except for the mid-80's Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET I picked up last year. That is also a great amp, but all SS.

I remain shocked at the sound of it. One thing it proves to me, when the right combination of amp/speakers come together, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if it's SS, tube, or a bastard stepchild. If it works, it works.

Well, the secret is out so I'll let you in on it. Digital effects units (good ones, not cheapy plastic pedal types) sound excellent IF you use a tube preamp in front it to add warmth. The VOX must be doing just that.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

telecast, now go try a Crate PowerBlock. It'll knock your sox off. $199 and it fits in gig bag.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Anyone try out the ADxxVT series like the AD15VT or AD30VT? Some interesting amp models, including what may be two clones of a Dumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Well, the secret is out so I'll let you in on it. Digital effects units (good ones, not cheapy plastic pedal types) sound excellent IF you use a tube preamp in front it to add warmth. The VOX must be doing just that.
    Nope.

A few points:

This is NOT a modeling amp in any way shape or form. It has volume, gain, volume, bass, treble, and an OD switch. It is also not digital.

What Vox has done is this:

They're using a SS preamp, after which comes a very small tube amplifier using the two sides of a 12AX7 tube to push/pull. From there it goes to a 'transparent' (their words) SS main amp.

It's kind of like micing a small tube amp, except instead of micing it, it's connected directly.

The end result is that it not only sounds like a tube amp, but it feels like one. It has almost as much feel as a full blown tube amp, although not quite as responsive. They need to work on that, but this is a HUGE step forward.

Forum Member

From the description it looks like the newer ADxxVT models use the same power amp scheme (the 12AX7 driving the SS virtual xformer output stage) with a modeling preamp.

Forum Member

Someones trying to make a quick profit. Looks like the first digit of the price tag (from GC) is an 8.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    Anyone try out the ADxxVT series like the AD15VT or AD30VT? Some interesting amp models, including what may be two clones of a Dumble.
    Yep, I believe they model a clean & driven Dumble, you also get a Soldano, an 80s Marshall, Mesa Recto, an AC15, AC30TB, 70s Marshall, Bassman and Blackface....at least that's what the salesdude talked of when I had a fiddle with the AD30VT. I really liked it ~ and sort of felt a bit like telecast when I heard it.

I think the days of "hybrid" amps advertising their "real tube" sound, whilst only giving the tube enough juice to light up, are over. Vox definitely make full use of that 12AX7 and they do it very well...Whilst VR15 is NOT a modelling amp (sorry telecast, I assumed it offered some modelling capacity), the AD30VT does offer amp models, and very good ones, it also doubles as an "ordinary" amp, inasmuch as it relies on the user to dial in the volume, gain, eq, much like telecast's VR15. From what I can gather, however, the tech behind both is based on the tech first developed for the ToneLab pedals. Another nice touch is that the VTs appear to have an inbuilt "attenuator", where you can control the level of the power stage (wattage) and keep the master volume dimed for "maximum tone".

JAM, yes, your description seems to summarize the VT line nicely. Tone is shaped in the virtual domain of "simulation" but it's driven by a pure analogue power stage. I still can't figure it out....

For something like home recording I reckon the ADxxVT would represent a pretty shrewd buy.

Tenebrae

The AD and VR series all use the same micro tube amp setup, as does the AD60 and 120 VTX.

I might've looked at an AD15 or 30, but for two things. First, I'm not into modellers. Second, that amp has the worst setup I've ever seen for a modeller. If I'm going to play a modelling amp, I want the stuff available to me on the fly. The AD's allow you to program and recall 3 or 4 sounds, and that's it. Anything else you have to adjust for as you go. Silly. If I were going to try a modeller (and if I do, it'll be theirs) it would be the bigger VTX amp. Again, it uses the same micro tube amp setup but you can at least get a foot controller to call up many presets.

I've tried a Lame Sux and a Cyber Cramp, both were as close to awful as I could imagine. My buddy (the one with the Pathfinder I A/B'd the VR against) also has an AD60VTX, or whatever it's called. It is the best sounding modeller I've heard to date.

(edited to get Vox's numbers right)
    Last edited by telecast; 01-03-2006 at 06:45 AM.

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4

For something like home recording I reckon the ADxxVT would represent a pretty shrewd buy.
    Hey Tenebrae,

Talking about shrewd buying... the cheapest I've seen the AD30VT in Oz is $399... have you seen it any cheaper?

I think I may just get one of these puppies...

-Mark

Re: We think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this amp sounds through a 4

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    Hey Tenebrae,

Talking about shrewd buying... the cheapest I've seen the AD30VT in Oz is $399... have you seen it any cheaper?

I think I may just get one of these puppies...

-Mark
    Cheaper? I don't think so. Vox amps are pretty rare on the ground here in Melbourne...a few places stock the Brian May edition (Billy Hyde for example). Syndal Music have a good range of the reissue AC30s and the Valvetronix (including the 30 watt from memory). $399 for the 30 watt version (get it or larger rather than the 15 watt model) sounds very good. I've seen that asking price for the 15 watt versions and about $450 for the 30 watt versions if that's any help. Is that price from an Aussie Web-Seller?

Tenebrae

Tenebrae,

Found these guys in Canberra googling on "AD30VT"

http://www.proaudio.com.au/sales/pro...ls.php?prd=710

Don't know what they'd charge for shipping -- I'll give them a call later today.

-Mark

Righto, Plugger, I did a little bit of a search myself and cannot match that price. Let us know what the shipping is...I'm hoping it's reasonable so that you can give a report on your new Vox :)!

Tenebrae

Forum Member

I played a VR30 this morning at GC with an SG and Tele. Nice,nice amp, really lots of warmth and "organics" going on. Any amp that takes that long to warm up has to be good. :) It sounds much better at what it does than my G-DEC, but I don't need another little amp. What it has done, though, is pique my interest in their flagship modellers.
    I agree that the midline ones don't have near the flexibility they should.

I ordered a AD30VT this morning without even listening to one first, such is the forcefulness of the persuasion of the collective TFF prose. Thanks for all the reviews, particularly Tenebrae and Telecast! :)

The shipping is $25 from Canberra to Brisbane; the optional 2-button footswitch was an extra $45 (!) so I've deferred on that -- I think I've got enough stomp-box switches lying around from various upgrades etc to rig up something that's at least functional.

Should get it in the next few days, but may be as late as next week. I'll let you know when it arrives!

-Mark

Forum Member

I was doing some more reading on the Valvetronics amps at the Vox site. As mentioned above, the Tonelab and TonelabSE multi-effects units also feature the Valve Reactor circuit, tube and all (description seems identical), so what's the difference with the implementation in the Valvetronics amps? What's the advantage over just using a Tonelab and amp, is the Vox power amp an integral part of the sound/process? I'm thinking that's the case from the description of the Vari-amp circuit.

Hmmm, can't ring my contact at Hydes at the moment, he hasn't invoiced me for the last few bits I got and there is no way I'll remind him about it... :lol

Has anyone a/b'ed this one with a Trademark 10?

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

I dig my .. eh... AD15VT (The guy in Marketing that came up with that should be denied access to the next compagny orgy), but I am NO expert. I bought it because it was cheap, had some modelling that had some good rap going with it and convinced me during a very small work out in the shop. My later jams in the JZ are done on it - please correct for my clams before judging the amp. All recordings are made through the Headphones out jack. Check out refins later jams as well - same thing with clams only the correction goes the other way.

I don't mind fiddling with models, it really is just a tweak of the knob. It is the effects section that takes a little work, but if you use pedals that should be less of a concern. I originally found that the tone controls are pretty lame, but then I discovered by accident (it might be in the manual, but who reads that stuff?), that putting treble, mid and bass on 0, volume on 100%, gain on something resonable (97%) and master volume on 50% gave more controll over tone. For slide it sounds cool if I roll off tone 80% on the guitar! Extra rumble (haven't posted any slide with that setting).

I doubt the models are "accurate". But the "UK '70s" sounds WAY better that my Marshal stack back then (in the '80s). Else I favour the Tweed model (refin uses the Vox models I believe). The tap-able delay is addictive...

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    I ordered a AD30VT this morning without even listening to one first, such is the forcefulness of the persuasion of the collective TFF prose. Thanks for all the reviews, particularly Tenebrae and Telecast! :)
    Uh oh :)....Perhaps I got a bit carried away....

Naw, I'll stand by it! I think you'll dig it, Plugger, I really do. As mgade says, the models are not "accurate"; there is no way they could be. Think of them as a digital "doff of the cap" to some great amps. I understand why refin would use the Vox models and mgade the Marshall and Fender models. They sound good.

When I listened to the Vox in the shop, I had to understand it in a way that was entirely different to the way I'd think about an "ordinary" amp. An ordinary amp has its own sound, its own sweet spot, its own character when one takes into account things like pick attack, eq'ing, speaker response, cabinet response, it reacts to its playing environment in a way that is individual to itself. The Vox, on the other hand, as a modeller, was characterless. It does its work in a way that a hifi would do its work. It reproduces/processes the operational parameters of other amps with as little of its own colouring as possible. The speaker in the AD30VT (a Vox, IIRC) is not meant to do anything in terms of shaping the tone of the sound you're hearing...that's already taken care of in the speaker/cab emulation programmed into the modelling section of the amp itself. In other words, the modelling amp reproduces sound, rather than produces sound. Looking at the Vox in this way was the only way the modelling "thing" made sense to me.

I'm probably wrong in the overview I gave above, and I'm not even sure that it makes a great deal of sense, but by looking at modelling in the above manner the whole idea of a third style of amplifier becomes easier for me to understand....and accept, if you will :).

So, while the amp models might sound a tad "cold" and don't really capture the nuances of, say, an old Marshall dimed out, they offer a pretty good sense of the character of these amps. Some are more successful than others, YMMV, etc., etc.

Tenebrae

Don't worry, Tenebrae, for $400 I don't think I'll be getting a Mesa Recto. It sounds like a fun and cool little practice amp that has a few different personalities, which is what I'm looking for. I've got the "serious" gear to haul out and set-up when the need arises...

I've also had a bit of experience with "modelling" amps before. When my son started to play bass in a band, we went looking for a suitable bass amp. Long story short, got the Roland Bass Cube 30 watter, which models about six classic bass rigs, from Trace Eliot to Bassman. I thought "no way", but I'm completely impressed with how well it does what it does... maybe not always 100% accurate (really, how could it be?), but never sounds cheesy. It's great bang for the buck, partcularly for beginners in order to find what out what sort of sounds they want to pursue. <Geezer mode>When I was a lad, you got what you got! If it was some broken down piece of rig kludged together from the school's old RadioShack PA system, well, we were grateful for it! (etc. etc.) </Geezer mode>

Anyway, now I'm a geezer, I don't want to miss out on all the modelling fun... :)

-Mark

(Some dude on the LPF has changed the tube in his! The whole modding circus are waiting to get us!!)

Quote Originally Posted by mgade
    (Some dude on the LPF has changed the tube in his! The whole modding circus are waiting to get us!!)

God, I'm awful. I actually wondered about that the first day I got it.

Forum Member

So, while the amp models might sound a tad "cold" and don't really capture the nuances of, say, an old Marshall dimed out, they offer a pretty good sense of the character of these amps.
    And if you're not going to dime that old Marshall out, the models start to compare even better. The Vox goes after the ideal of each amp, something which is somewhat rare in real life. Little can compare to my SG through a maxed JCM800, but the only time I got to do that was in rehearsal studios.

Anyone got any ideas on my question from above: the Tonelab and TonelabSE multi-effects units also feature the Valve Reactor circuit, tube and all (description seems identical), so what's the difference with the implementation in the Valvetronics amps?

Probably none that has to do with the valvereactor thing, more likely modifications to the models and effects. But that's just me guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
    The Vox goes after the ideal of each amp, something which is somewhat rare in real life.
    The ideal...that's a pretty good way to lookat it.

As to your other question, I'm not really sure; but I'll give it a go....

From the Vox site:

The Tonelab SE:

Number of amp types: 16
    Number of amp types: 16
    Number of cabinet types: 11
    Number of effects: 50 (Pedal types: 16, Modulation types: 11, Delay types: 11, Reverb types: 11, Noise reduction: 1)
    Programs: 96 (24 Bank x 4 Channel)
    Number of programs: 96 (24 Banks x 4 Channels)
    Audio inputs: Input x 1, Insert return x1
    Audio outputs: Output x 2 (balanced/unbalanced TRS), Insert send x 1, Phones x 1, Level knob (adjusts Output and Phones)
    Valve: 12AX7 (ECC83) x 1
    Signal processing: A/D conversion: 20bit, D/A conversion: 20bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1KHz
    Tuner: Tuning range: A0-C7 (27.5Hz-2093Hz), Tuner calibration: A = 438Hz-445Hz
    Other: MIDI IN x 1, MIDI OUT x 1, ~AC9V x 1, STANDBY switch
    Power consumption: 18W
    Dimensions: 710(W) x 249(D) x 76(H)mm/27.95”(W) x 9.8”(D)x 2.99”(H)
    Weight: 6.2 Kg/13.67 lbs.
    Included Items: AC/AC power supply 9VAC 3.0A, Deluxe nylon carry bag with logo.

Tonelab:

Amp Models: 16 types
    Cabinet Models: 10types
    Effects: 22 types (Drive:10 types, Modulation: 5 types, Delay: 3 types, Reverb: 3 types,
    Noise Reduction:1 type)
    Programs: 96 (24 Bank x 4 Channel)
    In/Outputs: Guitar Input, 2 x Output (1/4" Phone Jack), 1 x Digital Out (S/P DIF) - ToneLab only, 1 x VOX Bus, 1 x Headphone Out (ToneLab only), MIDI IN/OUT
    Tuner Measurement Range: 27.5 Hz-2,093 Hz (A0-C7)
    Calibration: A = 438-445 Hz
    Signal Processing: A/D Conversion 20bit, D/A Conversion 20bit, Sampling Frequency 44.1KHz
    Voltage: Local Voltage
    Dimensions (ToneLab): 319(W) x 209(D) x 74(H)mm (excluding knobs, but including
    cover for Valve) / 319(W) x 213(D) x 79(H)mm (including knobs)
    Dimensions (ToneLab SE): 710(W) x 244(D) x 111(H)mm
    Weight: 2.4 kg (ToneLab), 7.0kg* (ToneLab SE) *Provisional TBC.
    Power Consumption: TBC.
    Accessories: AC/AC Power Supply
    Options: VC-4 VOX Foot Controller

Valvetronix AD15VT/30VT/50VT/100VT:

Number of amp types: 11
    Number of effects: 11, Noise reduction: 1
    Number of programs: 11 preset, 2 channel.
    Input/output jacks: Top panel – 1 x INPUT. Rear panel – 1 x FOOT SW , 1 x LINE/ PHONE, (AD100VT & AD50VT only) 1 x EXTERNAL SPEAKER OUT, (AD100VT only) 1 x LOOP RETURN Jack, 1 x LOOP SEND Jack.
    Power amp output:AD100VT = maximum 100 RMS @ 8 ohms, AD50VT = maximum 50W RMS @ 8 ohms, AD30VT = maximum 30W RMS @ 8 ohms, AD15VT = maximum 15W RMS @ 8 ohms.
    Adjustable Output Wattage (AD100VT, 50VT, 30VT).
    Speaker: AD50VT = 1x Celestion 70/80 (12 inch 8 ohm), AD30VT = 1x VOX original (10 inch 8 ohm), AD15VT = 1x VOX original (8 inch 8 ohm),
    Signal processing A/D conversion: 24-bit, D/A conversion: 24-bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz .
    Power supply requirements: AC, local voltage.
    Power consumption: AD100VT=100W, AD50VT=52W, AD30VT=45W, AD15VT=23W
    Dimensions: AD100VT = 55.3cms (21.77") (H) x 68.4cms (26.93") (W) x 26.8cms (10.55") (D), AD50VT = 50.67cms (19.95") (H) x 57.81cms (22.76") (W) x 26.5cms (10.43") (D), AD30VT = 43cms (16.93") (H) x 45.59cms (17.95") (W) x 22.40 cms (8.82") (D), AD15VT = 39.5cms (15.55") (H) x 42.8cms (16.85") (W) x 22.4cms (8.82") (D)
    Weight: AD100VT = 29kg (63.93lbs), AD50VT = 20kgs (44.09lbs), AD30VT = 12kgs (26.46lbs), AD15VT = 10kgs (22.05lbs) .
    Included items: power cable .
    Options (sold separately): VFS2 dual foot switch.

Plugger is paying $399 plus shipping (Aus$) for the AD30VT. The Tonelab in Australia goes for about $500, the Tonelab SE goes for about $1000.

From my reading I don't think there is any difference in the implementation of the "Valve Reactor" tech, it's just that the Tonelab is a "standalone" unit that can be hooked up to anything you like, whilst the SE bersion is a floor unit with "expression pedals" that, again, can be hooked up to what you fancy. You're not paying for speakers, a cabinet, panels, what have you...you are simply paying for more examples of the technology, with more parameters within which to "tweak" that technology (ie. they're flexible to your needs).

The specs above give you an idea of the difference between a 30 watt Valvetronix amp and the pedals. The 60 & 120 watt Valvetronic amps are way closer to the pedals, but they cost serious money when compared to the 15/30/50/100watt examples.

I've made a poor go at answering your question, so apologies!

Tenebrae

The biggest issue I'd see is that the Tonelab hooked to an amp would tend to color the sound differently than a Vox amp, since they're designed to be transparent.

Now, that doesn't mean it's good or bad. If you look at the Tonelab as a stompbox, then it's irrelevant. If you want it to sound just like the Vox amp, it may not.

Then considering the way-too-expensive price for the Tonelab, you're not that far from a whole amp.

The Tonelab SE:
    Signal processing: A/D conversion: 20bit, D/A conversion: 20bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1KHz

Tonelab:
    Signal Processing: A/D Conversion 20bit, D/A Conversion 20bit, Sampling Frequency 44.1KHz

Valvetronix AD15VT/30VT/50VT/100VT:
    Signal processing A/D conversion: 24-bit, D/A conversion: 24-bit, Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz .
    Good job tenebrae. I think that translates to "Thumbs up for the amps". The higher resolution, the better sound, right?

Forum Member

I've made a poor go at answering your question, so apologies!
    None needed...thanks for the input! :)

The biggest issue I'd see is that the Tonelab hooked to an amp would tend to color the sound differently than a Vox amp, since they're designed to be transparent.
    Yeah, and the interface between Valve Reactor/amp/speaker seems different (more optimized/direct?) in the amps...feedback loop, variable output and all that stuff.
    I have to say, the AD120VTH half-stack is tugging at the heart of this Beatles fan. I'd love to have that behind me next time I play Shea stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
    I have to say, the AD120VTH half-stack is tugging at the heart of this Beatles fan. I'd love to have that behind me next time I play Shea stadium.
    Jack, I'd be happy to play John to your George next time you play Shea Stadium!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by mgade

Somebody post a clear phtot of it.
    Maybe I can give it an EVH tape job. :lol
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Jack, I'd be happy to play John to your George next time you play Shea Stadium!
    You got it! Then it's off to the Hollywood Bowl...