Thread: Aint it cool?

Aint it cool?

I mean......How many itmes have you just tinkered with your gear and sometimes, a piece sits for a little while waiting to be re-discovered.

I re-set one of my basses up (one of the SX's) and found that I liked it.....took almost all relief out of the neck and set it pretty much to fender standards.....pickups too and then did the minor tweek to ear thing.....

Then I re-did all of them....what the heck !!??!!

The amazing one...????

The P Bass Jr. how cool is that thing? I mean.....I adjusted it and started spanking! Then I tweaked the amp settings and fooled with it for about 2 hours (the Tech 21 RBI really does sound signifigantly different with slight changes as Doc has pointed out) and Bam! Its good.

My wife came downstairs and laughed when she saw it in my lap.......She thought I was playing one of my "Big Boy" basses....not the one I got for my grandson.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: Aint it cool?

If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

you just gotta learn now when to leave well enough alone...i've screwed up a couple of guit steels and had to remember how i had them set up. it's easy to tell though when not to do it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Chucko.......I agree

I think this go round was sucessful. Practice today was a good testimate to that affect. One still settled a little close for me, but I will re-adjust.

Active electronics bass sounded great, and compared to passive, i expected it. One had a buzz I couldn't bet rid of. I will have to relook at ground and shielding......

I consider this a sucess!
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson
    I mean......How many itmes have you just tinkered with your gear and sometimes, a piece sits for a little while waiting to be re-discovered.
    Too many. I've come to the decision that there are far too many cool pieces of equipment to own them all.

Too often the "cool, what was I missing" vibe is replaced with the "why the hell weren't you playing this all allong" vibe.

Virtually every piece of musical equipment has something to say.

Even if it's "shut the hell up!"

Glad you got the itch to work the tech aspect, and find the beauty in the less expensive stuff.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Kap'n,

One reason I went through this was the fact taht the band had opted quite some time back to tune a half step down. That made the strings feel kind of flabby and I got much more fret buzz than I liked or could deal with.

I readjusted intonation, relief, action, pup height and it made a huge difference.

I tuned one of them back up a half step and plan on leaving it that way so that I can practice with CD's, etc.... and it seems to play ok. I can always drop it too if I need. It seems you can go up, but not down without much adjustment.
    Kenny Belmont

yeah man! forgot to say, but congrats on things working out.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"