Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix - Redhouse

Forum Member

Jimi Hendrix - Redhouse

Just finished up Redhouse and Purple Haze using the Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced" Instructional DVD presented by Andy Aledort along with the transcribed notes. It has been a time consuming yet enjoyable journey. Redhouse was tougher than I thought it would be; the tough part of purple haze has been stretching my thumb to make the G & A chords. In my case not having an instructor available I found the set very helpful.

Re: Jimi Hendrix - Redhouse

Red House is so much fun to play... we normally do a 20 min jam on it... crank the gain, fatten the tone and just go!
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

Great song. I have the "Hendrix live at Isle of Wight" concert on tape. He plays Red House on a Flying V, flipped of course, and just wails. It's stunning to see how much he's getting out of just one position on the neck. Long fingers helped.

I didn't want to wear out that tape so I dubbed off just RH to another that I could shuttle, slo-mo etc. Fun to try and play along, till my scarf gets too tight anyway.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Oddly enough, I played that song at an open mic yesterday.

I've never played it before. I mean, I knew the form, but I've never played it as that particular blues song before.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

telecast and I butchered that one last year at a jam for that other place...

sadly, there's video of it, too...

Great song to jam though.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

We use to do that one in a band I was in about 5 years ago. Great tune.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker
    telecast and I butchered that one last year at a jam for that other place...

sadly, there's video of it, too...

Great song to jam though.
    You know you want to post it!
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

Forum Member

I would love to hear & see your rendition of Redhouse hudpucker & telecast. I highly doubt you butcher the song, me on the other hand; lets just say it's still being fine tuned. I'm just a novice home player so it would be great to hear your take and for that matter anyone else on the forum

What are the rules on that exactly? Can we post it if we don't sing on it? Or even if we sing on it? It's just a normal 12 bar???

If there's lyrics, or other identifying characteristics that distinguish it from any other blues that follows that public domain chord progression, maybe a private message is in order.
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

Or, if you have purchased a license for it, you can post it.

Such as pc's Reddish House

Forum Member

Well I gotta say I have only heard the Jimi version; you have given me a new insight into playing that song; I need to step outside the box. That was great, I loved it; its all there just presented different ; also great singing I was running out breath listening to you at the end. What was your gear setup.

TFF Stage Crew

Not me singing--I wish! That's my best friend, Damon Mollenkopf. He can really hold that note forever.

The gear on that tune was my alder AmSe Tele (it had Vintage Noiseless pups at the time) into a Fulldrive 2, then into my Blues Deluxe amp.

Thanks for the comments.

If I was at a bar and someone played RH note for note (any Hendrix version) I'd shoot them in the forehead with a really gobby spitball.

Forum Member

Man that was one sloppy spitball, bet yah can't do that again.:>)

TFF Stage Crew

Phew. Glad mine was in G and not Bb.

I swear, any o you mugs shoot me with a spitball when I do RH at a gig.. why I'll...

Seriously, when you hear people play at gigs do you want to hear note for note crap or do you want to hear some cool take on something? Or at least a different take on something?

Quote Originally Posted by dez
    Seriously, when you hear people play at gigs do you want to hear note for note crap or do you want to hear some cool take on something?
    Depends. Is Bach part of your setlist?

No, not this guy.
    orange picks

Forum Member

I've only been playing awhile (wish I had started along time ago) and since I'm musically challenged anyway I kind of follow how a particular artist does it until I can play it reasonably well, then mix it up a little after that. Following what an artists does gives me ideas on how to expand my own playing techniques, really all I have to go by. I do like to hear other takes, it gives me a broader perspective on what can be done. Its all fun though and for those that can play; well I appreciate and respect their talents.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I kind of follow how a particular artist does it until I can play it reasonably well, then mix it up a little after that. Following what an artists does gives me ideas on how to expand my own playing techniques, really all I have to go by. I do like to hear other takes, it gives me a broader perspective on what can be done. Its all fun though
    Well, guitarzan, you may have only been playing a short while, but there's a lifetime of knowledge in that post.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Kap'n,
    No.

Guitarzan,
    Learning stuff note for note at home and learning why things work is invaluable. Mixing that knowledge with your own unique take on things is what makes music interesting , IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dez
    Learning stuff note for note at home and learning why things work is invaluable. Mixing that knowledge with your own unique take on things is what makes music interesting , IMO.
    It also forces your fingers to move in ways you wouldn't ordinarily move them. Fight the muscle memory solo!
    orange picks

Forum Member

Kap'n your are right on with that comment and thanks cooltone. Now back to learning "Hey Joe", love that minor E penatonic riff at the 12th.

Why most people suggest "Red House" or "Stormy Monday" for slow blues tunes I'll never know. I'd much rather play "Loan Me A Dime" or "I Got A Mind To Give Up Living And Go Shopping Instead."

I guess I like the minor keys 'cause they seem more sad. Dm is the saddest key of any, IMO.
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

Quote Originally Posted by funkyguitar
    I guess I like the minor keys 'cause they seem more sad. Dm is the saddest key of any, IMO.
    I like playing minor keys, too. Maybe because everybody else defaults to the majors, and I get burnt out on them.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by funkyguitar
    Why most people suggest "Red House" or "Stormy Monday" for slow blues tunes I'll never know. I'd much rather play "Loan Me A Dime" or "I Got A Mind To Give Up Living And Go Shopping Instead."

I've been doing Got A Mind for years. Nothing like the BB or Butterfield versions. But fun to play. If I can find a copy I'll put it on myspace and we can make fun of it (the recording is at least 6 years old and I'm sure I thought I was a blues guitar player at the time).

Gravity Jim

For a slow blues, I like to play one with pronounced changes you can play through melodically. A tune like "It Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do" is my idea of a good time. I was never a huge Allman Brothers fan, but I like "Aint My Cross To Bear" for those same chords.

GJ, that song (Not My Cross to Bear) is one of my all time fav blues songs to play.

Now for rock, Savoy Brown's Tell Mama pretty much sums up how I like to play.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Speaking of Savoy Brown, going back to the 60's, The Savoy Brown Blues Band, as they were called then, did a song called, "Life's One Act Play."

This song, IMO, is one of the best ever slow blues tunes to play. What a great tune this is !
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

Forum Member

I'll have to look that one up, I like slow blues. Is that something a slow learner could play

Forum Member

All I did was take one of those tascam learner things, that cd player that lets you slow things down and keep the same frequency. I had the song learned in a few hours with that thing. It really helps alot, but it's kinda like cheating :P

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    Or, if you have purchased a license for it, you can post it.

Such as pc's Reddish House

Hey PC, will you point me in the right direction to purchase a license? Who do I contact? How much should I expect? etc...

TFF Stage Crew

HFA--Harry Fox Agency. They administrate the licenses for just about every song released in this part of the world. Read up on the stuff on Digital Licenses. It's a different license than the one you'd buy to release the cover song on CD, but like that one, it's based on how many units (downloads) you think you'll incur. There's a form to download.

www.harryfox.com.

Forum Member

EDITED BY MODERATOR

TFF Stage Crew

Algernon, please stop posting copyrighted material. All you had to do was read this thread to understand that would be inappropriate, let alone the numerous statements of the rules on this forum, let alone the numerous times in the past I and other moderators have edited or removed your posts for this same reason.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    FG, don't post the entire song's lyrics. A phrase is OK, but not the whole thing.
    Something like

"But when the judge came down, poured whiskey on my head, turned me around to the jury and said 'Convict this man, he's drunk,' what could I do?"

That's a phrase, no? ;)

(added just for PC's benefit)

Bonus points if you can name the song (unless you're Fezz, who knows everything)

TFF Stage Crew

"I deny the charges of robbin' the liquor store
    Deny the charges of carryin' a .44"

(I'm gonna assume that you're referencing Canned Heat and not Cheech & Chong, you goober.)

Forum Member

Actually, it originated with the Coasters. Lieber and Stoller were rock and roll greats!

My fave version is Little Feat.

Personally, if I'm in the mood for a slow blues song it's gotta be "Out of My Mind" by the John Mayer Trio

if i had to listen to his music i would get the blues. allways sounds like he's not standing close enough to the mike to me...
    anyway,only cowboy's stay in tune! JIMI H