Thread: G&L

G&L

any other George & Leo fans out there?

I have a sunburst Legacy & it's a fine guitar......heres a crappy picture I took a while back:

*edit* had to clear space on the internet, pictures gone now, sorry :)
    Last edited by Jimi's Bolero; 09-10-2002 at 08:08 AM.

Forum Member
    I am partial to the Asat Junior model-in fact I have a pair!

Also have a Belaire Green Legacy(aka seafoam green) that I modded with Duncan lipstick tube pickups-a very toneful and fun guitar....
    Last edited by Houndog; 07-27-2002 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Member
    have owned 3 Legacys and 1 Asat Special (which I kick myself regularly for selling).
    Would like to add an ASAT Classic to the heard soon.
    Been concentrating on getting the Les Paul and Tele jones down.

...... speaking of jones. I want an ASAT Classic BAD! Got a line on one, hopefully soon. hank
    .......... from the Land of Gibson

I'd love to get an ASAT exactly like this:

I love the orange!!

---->houndog, when I bought my legacy the other one they had was belair green.....I wanted it too, but could only justify the one $$ :). Those ASAT junior's are sweet looking, I've never been able to try one out. how do they compare to say, a LP with P90's? got any sound clips?
    Last edited by Jimi's Bolero; 07-27-2002 at 08:25 PM.

I've got two G&L's that I really dig.

My first one I bought last year. It is a Legacy with a oil-tinted birdseye neck, swirl finish, and scraped natural binding. I threw a set of Van Zandts in it and it sounds great.

My second one is an ASAT I bought used a week after buying the Legacy. It has a maple board and a honey finish (which for some reason smells like maple syrup). I like this guit even better than the Legacy. One of my favorites and it is totally stock.
    This has been a famous mortimer production

Yep, another proud G&L owner here. Have an ASAT JR, S-500 and a Legacy Special.

Originally posted by Houndog
    I am partial to the Asat Junior model-in fact I have a pair!

Also have a Belaire Green Legacy(aka seafoam green) that I modded with Duncan lipstick tube pickups-a very toneful and fun guitar....
    I replaced the neck p/u in my ASAT JR with a Rio Grande 'Muy Grande' p/u (made for G&L's) and what a difference! A lot more beefier and bluesier than the stock p/u.

hey, are those ASAT Jr's the ones they only made #250 of?

no wonder I haven't seen any around.....!!

lucky bastehd's.
    FIND THE HALFLINGS!! UNGH!! FIND THE HALFLINGS!!

Originally posted by Jimi's Bolero
    hey, are those ASAT Jr's the ones they only made #250 of?

no wonder I haven't seen any around.....!!

lucky bastehd's.
    Yes and Yes we are :wail1

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Jack The Riffer

I replaced the neck p/u in my ASAT JR with a Rio Grande 'Muy Grande' p/u (made for G&L's) and what a difference! A lot more beefier and bluesier than the stock p/u.
    I am really happy with the stock sound but....since I have two I have thinking about trying those-I mean what the hell right? Did you try the bridge pickup too?

Yeah I am a greedy and lucky bastehd all right-no argument here-I bought the first one I owned three years ago--then a while back I spotted one on a dealer's site I had dealt with before and I had this bolt on PRS that did nothing for me and a trade was born....never looked back!

:wav

they need a "green with envy" smiley here.....
    FIND THE HALFLINGS!! UNGH!! FIND THE HALFLINGS!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Houndog
    [B]

I am really happy with the stock sound but....since I have two I have thinking about trying those-I mean what the hell right? Did you try the bridge pickup too?

Left the bridge stock since I rarely use it. Great guitar innit!

Forum Member
    I've got a ASAT Z3 and I dig that guitar a lot. Silver sparkle, matching headstock, Z-coils and birds-eye neck.
    Some folks don't dig the Zs, too hi-fi tone for some, but I like them. They sound superb on effects, cut thru really nice with no noise.
    Felipe Nacif

I've got 4 G&Ls--2 Legacys, an ASAT Special, and an F-100.

Originally posted by YngwieBlackmore
    I've got 4 G&Ls--2 Legacys, an ASAT Special, and an F-100.
    Isn't an F-100 a pickup truck? :lol2

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    I had a mid 90's Asat Special. Metallic gold with chrome parts. It sounded superb and played ok I guess but I could never get used to the neck shape. Also the fret ends could have been dressed better.

Seven G&L's. Legacy Special, Legacy, Fullerton, ASAT Jr, www.guitarsbyleo.com Limited Edition, ASAT Special, and an '88 Interceptor.

Yeah, I like 'em a bit ;)
    2005 new gear count: CIJ '72 RI Tele Custom. NOS '88 Charvel Model 3B. Reverend Drivetrain II. Boss CH-2. Boss DS-1. Boss BCB-60. PRS Custom 22

Forum Member
    I have a very early S-500 (neck dated 3-3-82) that I got off of Ebay for $420.00. I'd tried a bunch of different Strats or strat-types over a few years and none of 'em really floated my boat. I gave up on 'em but eventually got GAS again. I figured I'd get the cheapest "decent" strat that I could come up with on Ebay and just "make it my strat". Out of nowhere my girlfriend sends me a link saying, "What's a G & L?" It had forty minutes to go and one other person had bid. Best "Strat" 've ever played!

Forum Member

My Comanche

"I'd love to get an ASAT exactly like this:

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...range_full.jpg

I love the orange!! "

ME too! My Comanche is that color (ash body) with a pearloid guard and a birdseye neck. Eye and ear candy!

Forum Member
    Had a Legacy in cherry sunburst - nice piece, but didn't like the large frets & blocky hardtail bridge. I've got two Carvin quilt top hardtail Bolt's - one in SSS, one SSH - I like the Carvin neck much better (ebony board, abalone inlay, satin finish) & fit and finish is up there with the super strat boutique market - really, I've played most of them. G&L guys - do yourself a favor & check out a figured top Bolt...

JS

Forum Member
    I put together one of those Carvin kit guitars once-it was a lot of fun. Cept it had the worst sounding single coil pickups I have ever heard-no kidding the Korean copy guitars had better sounding pickups. I changed those though and it sounded good-eventually sold it a guy in Memphis who uses it for gigs. Says it is so ugly he doesn't have to worry about anyone stealing it-so much for my finishing skills....

2 Legacy's, 3 Tone and a killer Blueburst. A third is on the way. A copy of Clapton's "Brownie". I'll post pictures soon.

Forum Member

---->houndog, when I bought my legacy the other one they had was belair green.....I wanted it too, but could only justify the one $$ :). Those ASAT junior's are sweet looking, I've never been able to try one out. how do they compare to say, a LP with P90's? got any sound clips?
    Whoops-I missed this earlier-wasn't being rude just illiterate!

Sorry no sound clips-I generally try to avoid recordings that can be used against me at a later date!

Doesn't really compare to a LP with P90s-it is more of a Tele thing than that and the semi-hollow body mellows it out a bit.

On the Belaire front though...here is mine modded with the Duncan Lipsticks....surf's up!!!!!!!!

hey, those pickups look snazzy in there!!

fwiw there is an ASAT Jr. on ebay right now, the "buy it now" is $775 US, not a bad deal......I can't justify it right now though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...898951450&rd=1

Forum Member
    hey, those pickups look snazzy in there!!

fwiw there is an ASAT Jr. on ebay right now, the "buy it now" is $775 US, not a bad deal......I can't justify it right now though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...898951450&rd=1
    Those pickups sound good too-not a lot of output but very toneful...

Yeah that Asat Junior is a GOOD deal...in fact...if you look at my picture of the twin Asat Juniors the one on Ebay is the one on the bottom!I decided having two is kinda silly(plus I bought this hardtail Fullerton red Legacy this weekend :cb ) and I like the neck on the other one better so someone has a shot at a great guitar at a great price....

Forum Member
    I"ve been playing a G&L comanche exclusively for about a year now, it's a wonderful guitar! All of my other guitars have either been sold or put in the closet. I love Fenders but for me this guitar falls into that "perfect fit" realm that neither the fenders or gibsons I've owned could match.

Forum Member
    I love my Fenders! Every one! I HAVE to have a strat and a tele. I don't think anyone at this forum would disagree with me when I say that both of these guitars are REQUIRED if you want to play rock-n-roll. Having said that, my G&L ASAT with a Bigsby and three "magnetic field" pickups is a better built guitar that works better than any Fender I have ever owned. It took a little fret work and some time to find the setup that was right for me, but hasn't just about every "real" Fender you've owned taken the same? Certainly not a replacement for a traditional Fender, but it's nice to know that Leo never stopped pushing the envelope. We Win!

NEW G&L

I just bought a 2000 ASAT thinline with the MFD pickups. I'm waiting for it to arrive. It's my first G&L. From my experience playing friends' G&L's they're great instruments. I'm glad Leo didn't stay retired.

Forum Member
    I've got two: a Legacy and an ASAT Semihollow. Great stuff.

Forum Member

How atout an ASAT Special Deluxe?

I've shown this a couple of other places, but I have an ASAT Special Deluxe:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...45309232EaFKNu

John C.

John C., that's one cool piece!

I got lucky yesterday and found a mint '98 Legacy Special in honeyburst. Naturally, I had to have it. G & L does a fabulous job. Different, yet similar to the Fenders.
    .......... from the Land of Gibson

Forum Member
    hank,

Thanks. I kind of alternate between the ASAT and a '62RI Strat.

I guess I go with Fender for a vintage style guitar and with G&L for a modern one - I've never gotten on with the American Standard/American Series Fenders. I just like the narrower, deeper neck of the American Vintage Fenders, and G&L does a nice modern version of that.

John C.