Thread: Jimmie Vaughan

Jimmie Vaughan

Just got my first Jimmie Vaughan Cd on Saturday - Do you get the Blues. Wow, that`s great music.
    `til now I just knew some single songs and at first sight Jimmies music was never as dithyrambic as Stevies music. But - it`s in the details!!!!
    I`ve listened to the CD about 10 times now and the more I hear it, the more I love it. Jimmie is great:wail1

I´ve heard that his best albums are the ones with the Thunderbirds? Any recommendations?
    Achim

Forum Member
    I agree. That Jethro Tull-esque flute is just great!

The first 3 or 4 T-Birds albums are great. Jimmie's playing was sparce and confident (cocky?). Great stuff.

I had the first three on cassette when they first came out and wore them out! I've since bought 2 cds put out by Beat Goes On records that include the first 4 albums. I bring them to work almost every day.

After that the production and songs got a little slicker.
    Although Jimmie's playing was still great, sometimes even better on the newer T-Birds albums, the music just wasn't the same.

His solo albums have been great as well.

I like him better than Stevie, always have, but his style is not for everyone.

I saw that CD but was a bit hesitant to buy it. Is it a slow type blues or more of a Rock/Bluesy thing?

Would you say the music is guitar dominant?

Thanks

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    the best T-BIRD cds are the first one girls go wild and the second one whats the word!! great stuff. check out the intro and lead on full time lover, that some soulful stuff!!
    his new cd was alright but the more i listen to it the better i like it too!
    i like him better than stevie also,i feel he has more soul than stevie!!

chris

Forum Member
    Brian F - If you need to ask those kinds of questions, then you probably won't love Jimmie Vaughan. Recent Jimmie records are like mellow organ-jazz meets R&B and the deepest, deepest blues, with sparse, twangy, soulful guitar snaking its way through the whole thing.

Early Thunderbirds records ("Girls Gone Wild", "What's the Word", etc) have as much harp as guitar featured, but the guitar is slightly more obviously "Stevie's main influence" with its big neck-pickup tone. A little more rock and roll in the Thunderbirds than in Jimmie's solo stuff, but still mostly deep blues and swamp pop.

Jimmie is easily the greatest guitarist of his generation. I can't say enough good things about him.

M
    www.monstermikewelch.com
    Last edited by monstermikewelch; 01-24-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member
    Another one to consider is the The Essential
    Collection CD with 20 cuts. It is a compilation
    from the earlier T- Birds recordings.
    It should be easy to find.
    Jimmie has a real cool sound and style.
    I really like listening to his music.
    Earl

Jimmy Capo's up a lot and uses open tunings along with it ,most of the time he plays. He is such an Awesome player, and has backed and played with so many blues greats,his bands used to open for all the traditional blues players even before the T-Birds. He can play Freddy King stuff like unreal. His playing is so laid back now that you don't even see half the stuff he knows or can play, he plays his own style for the most part these days, but will throw in a tune from the early days every once in a while. Great and a very underrated player.He can play excellent covers of just about any style of blues & rock elements, that is what he used to do in the early days.A true journyman player.

The Essential Collection CD is a great recommendation.