Thread: What do you see ?

Forum Member

What do you see ?

What do you see when you are jamming and looking at the neck ?

Root notes ? Fret numbers ? Patterns ? Licks ?

I used to play bass. When I played, I really didn't think. I just grabbed a handfull of notes and went to town. This was pretty much tied to root notes since I was on bass.

Now that I've gotten into playing guitar, I'm afraid that I'm concentrating too much on the note names and where things start. I haven't reached the point of letting go and just jamming yet.

I know all the notes on the fretboard. I know the modes pretty well. I find I'm relying pretty heavy on the 5 pentatonic positions.

So, what do you see and what should I be looking for ?

Thanks,
    A

Re: What do you see ?

I don't really look down at my fretboard much once I get in the key of where I want to be....from there I pretty much can feel out where I need to be. I try not to think about note selection, I just go with what feels right. sometimes it works, sometimes it don't, but more often then not it amounts to some fine pentatonic wanking :)
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Good question,

You may not look at the fretboard, but do you visualize patterns when you play?

Alexf,

When I am improvising, (I think) I visualize patterns in reference to the notes I just played. I don't think too much about the root of a scale or cord.

When I learn new songs, I mostly visualize patterns rather than memorize the order of notes.

if I do any visualizing it is either:

- what I must look like while I play
    - something to do with the blonde on the front row that keeps smiling at me :) (well back when I was gigging)

other than that I don't see much, I only hear things......

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Patterns and shapes.

I know where the notes on the guitar are but I'm not quick thinking enough to know what note I'm playing on the fly. I'm a very visual person.

This is my Achilles' Heel although I have recently been able to get beyond it and just play.

I see a neck.

If I get lost, I see a pattern.

If I'm really lost, I see a pattern with an arrow pointing me in the right direction.

If I'm hopelessly lost and can't dig out, I see my mom's face saying: "I wanted him to be a doctor...."
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Patterns...

for the longest I saw scales... and I'm just now getting out of that. I try to just let my heart go where it wants... but sometimes my hand doesn't listen.
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

I hear what I should play next in my head, then I see where my fingers should go to play those notes. I don't think about what the patterns are (unless I want to repeat something over and over, which can be cool) or what the notes are exactly. I just play what my fingers "think" is the closest approximation of the sound I get in my head. It doesn't always happen exactly how I want it all the time, but that's when lots of the random cool stuff happens. If i get lost or mess up, I go back to the comfortable licks/patterns/chords/riffs until I find myself again.
    So there you have it.

i see the key, but not really the note names. sure i know them, but when i play i try to zone that out and just look at where the whole and half steps are. then i pretty much zone out on that too. i've learned to not think so much when i play. that has to be one of the best things i learned, and it came from playing in the college jazz band.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I don't look, I listen and play the interval I want to hear.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I only see the floor.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

I think in patterns, usually, although sometimes I, like OSA, just hear the intervals and go for it...usually, I'm too busy thinking "Oh shoot, what's the next vocal line?!"

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I see telecast's mom.
    s'all goof.

I picture Jamie Van.

When you are in the middle of a giant Triangle solo...

Do you see the entire scale of one note?
    Or, do you just listen and think about what interval your next note will be in relation to your last note?

Jamie says he thinks about attack mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc
    When you are in the middle of a giant Triangle solo...

Do you see the entire scale of one note?
    Or, do you just listen and think about what interval your next note will be in relation to your last note?
    I think I finally understand the meaning of the expression "the eternal triangle".

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    I see telecast's mom.
    I'll tell her to stop.

Sorry.

Note: My statement about Jamie Van thinking mostly about attack was eroneous. I weant back and re-read the interview. What he actually said was:

"I think mostly about a tack."

I guess triangle players have to stand up and sit down quite a bit, and the other guys in the percussion section like to play tricks....

it's those damn woodblock players

they hide the tacks on the bottom side of the wood block......sneaky bastards

When I started playing guitar I didn't know anything about scales only chords. I used the pentatonic scale because I knew that pattern would not give you a sour note. When I was young I could bend up may 5 semitones on some the high notes. I remember I jamed once with Taj Mahal. He would play something and then I would. I got my self into a corner and hit the sourest series of notes. I was red faced.
    Then I started learning the scales and modes. Chiefly I memorize the tones. Then I play riffs and rework them. I do this everyday. My mother is sick so I really stopped practicing. One should do scales and modes at least 1-3 hours to where no thought is involved. Then practice some old songs and then work on some new stuff. It comes out to be a 5-8 hour workout although not 5-8 straight. That way you don't have to look at the fretboard.

This is just my humble opinion. I love music deeply. I don't consider myself good nor do I feel compelled to entertain people or seek recognition. I play for the music for the sake of the music.

Best Regards

BluesRiffer

Best

WTF? I must be holding my guitar differently to you guys -- I can't see the fretboard at all when I'm playing standing. Fret marker dots on the binding are about the extent of it.

Can you guys really see the fretboard when you're playing, or are we being metaphorical here, and this is all going on in the "mind's eye"?

-Mark
    Last edited by Plugger; 06-04-2006 at 05:02 AM.

I have to bend over to see it. All I can see just by looking down is the side.

Great. Now all I can see is Telecast telling his mom to shut up.
    s'all goof.