Thread: Fender 24

Fender 24

Hello All;
    Newbie here. Just traded 'up,' from an Ernie Ball Stingray to a Fender 24. I found out a little too late that Fender is far and away the best bass guitar maker, period. I am a drummer for years who recently began playing bass guitar. I would thoroughly appreciate any and all tips and pointers (i.,e., mistakes I could aviod, things I could pratice to improve my playing, instructional videos) about playing bass guitar. I also ordered several instructional video/dvd's - I am taking lessons from two teachers (one classical and one jazz/rock) but I have yet to find a dvd that is deep and well as paced - what I mean is that it goes very slow and explains detail while giving up close (maybe split screen) views of the finger placements. Thanks to all who respond - glad to be a member of the forum.

Re: Fender 24

Hi Big C!
    I'm also a drummer who has taken up bass. I used to play bass a long, long time ago, but am just now getting back into it.
    Do a google on Fret Board Warrior and check out his product.
    Just this week I downloaded the demo version for bass and was quite happy with it. Yesterday, I ordered the full version. It's quite effective and helping you learn where all the notes are on the fretboard. It's just a little game, but it IS effective.
    (I have no affiliation with this product/website/or anything. I just think it's a good way to get going on bass and wish to share my find with Big C)
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Many Thanks Mikey - that is exactly what I need, something that makes learning the notes simple. Kudos from Alabama my friend and Roll Tide!

No Problemo Big C, however, I'm a Syracuse fan so "GO ORANGE!!!!!"

We'll have to keep tabs on each other as to how the progress is going.

BTW, what's your setup with the drums.
    Here's a couple links to my stuff.....
    http://crossfyre.0catch.com/setups.html

and

http://www.handidrummed.com/drummers/profiles/mike/

I hope you enjoy them.

Now back to bass. I checked out your new "24" I hadn't heard of that model, so I checked it out. Nice piece, I must say!
    I've got an SX Deluxe Jazz 5-string from Rondo Music. I love it so far for what I do. I'm playing it through an old TKO amp that I got used about 10 years ago.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Man, not another drummer. This place is going to the dogs

Just kiddin with ya BigC. I am a guitar player but have recently picked up a bass. I don't have any DVDs but I do have a couple of instructional books from Ed Friedland that I like very much. They are published by Hal Leonard. The fist is the Hal Leonard Bass Method: Complete Edition Vol. 1,2,&3 all bound together in one book with CDs.

Since I like mostly Blues I also picked up Blues Bass: A Guide to Essential Styles and Techniques. I really have been enjoying this one even though it is not as technical as the other (probably because I enjoy the music).

I play a MIM Jazz Bass (Bad Ass II bridge with SD basslines pickups) through a SWR Workingman 10. Good enough for me. Fender does make a great bass (but the Music Man is nice also - another Leo Fender design).

Agreed, we will vent the frustration, I am a quick study but I am not ever staisfied with my own progress - I practice about 1 to 2 hours per day - I am hoping within a year I will be like Jaco........can you hear the gasping! I think even mentioning Jaco in comparative terms is a bass faux paux. Anywho, thanks bzimm for the info. I also have a fender Aerodyne that I play as well - both the 24 and the Aerodyne play sweet as Jessica Simpsons p...oodle, I was going to say poodle! She has a very cute brown and white poodle, I hope. Ok. enough from the Alabama red neck - keep the tips coming thanks.