Thread: True bypass wah

True bypass wah

I am shopping for a wah right now and I was wondering if any of the "major/most popular" wah models are true bypass. I really like the Vox tone but I hear it is quite a tone sucker. How about the CryBaby 535Q, is that thing true-bypass? I tried searching on their website but couldn´t find the information. Thanks for your help.

Re: True bypass wah

The MF page says "hard wired on/off switch" for the 535Q. The harmony-central reviews of the 535Q are inconclusive. Some reviewers claim its true bypass while others lament the lack of true bypass. Typical HC reviews, unfortunately.

The only test you need for a hardware-based bypass is to remove the power source and then see if the pedal passes the signal when off.

Converting a wah to true bypass is a fairly simple operation if you're a bit handy with a soldering iron. The DPDT switch you'll need is only a few bucks and the directions are readily available online. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castl...enfuz/wah.html
    s'all goof.

I was under the impression that the new Vox V847s came with true bypass from the factory, unlike the older models. I could be wrong though. I've got an older V847 with the bypass mod (as well as all the other standard mods.) Sounds nice.

The newer entry level Dunlop wahs sound atrocious out of the box, from my (relatively) recent experience. I don't know how the more expensive Dunlops sound... I didn't really get that far in my evaluation.

-Mark

I believe the new (at least I think they're new) Hiwatt wahs are advertised as true by-pass. Haven't heard what they sound like though.

this one is true bypass.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...cts?sku=151688

or buy a used vox and put in a new switch. probably could be done for about 75 bucks.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    or buy a used vox and put in a new switch. probably could be done for about 75 bucks.
    I _hope_ you mean the 75 bucks includes the cost of the wah, not $75 just to upgrade the switch!?!

-Mark

yeah i did mean the whole kit and kaboodle.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

My vox 848 is true bypass, the 847s are not I believe.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Thanks for the link Curtis, I am not very handy with a soldering iron but it seems really easy to perform this mod. I have never tried the vox 848, how does it sound compare to the 847? Any major differences in tone?

Yes, it is different in tone, it the Cylde McCoy picture wah.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Here's a link with an illustration on how to mod the 847 to true bypass:

http://fulltone.com/v847.html
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    The only test you need for a hardware-based bypass is to remove the power source and then see if the pedal passes the signal when off.
    This is incorrect. Pedals like a GCB-95 CryBaby and YJM308 use SPDT stomp switches that are not true bypass yet will still pass a signal in bypass mode when not powered.

You're absolutely right, Strat Cat. My mistake. I just acquired a Vox 847 (non-TB, by the way) and it does pass a signal with no battery. I was very surprised. This old dumbass learns something new every... uh.... week or so...
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Get yourself a second hand Vox 847 and install a Dpdt switch. You can get one for about $15 including shipping or buy a kit from Pedaldoc which comes with the switch and other components to shape the sound of the 847 to your personal taste.

I bought a true bypass with led kit from them and my 847 sounds really great now.

Supposedly, the construction of the new Dunlop wahs make them harder to mod to true bypass. I think the circuit board is mounted directly to the switch.

The old Voxes and Dunlops are pretty easy to modify. In fact my wah is an amalgam of parts and shell from a Dunlop and Vox or two.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Supposedly, the construction of the new Dunlop wahs make them harder to mod to true bypass. I think the circuit board is mounted directly to the switch.

The old Voxes and Dunlops are pretty easy to modify. In fact my wah is an amalgam of parts and shell from a Dunlop and Vox or two.
    The new ones with Fasel inductors are already true bypass. They also use surface mount components which makes it a lot harder to modify the circuit.