Thread: HRD FX loop advice

Forum Member

HRD FX loop advice

Hi all,

I was wondering if there were any suggestions for the order of effects in the loop, and/or if any effects should go between the guitar and the input instead of the loop? I'm using a Digitech Hot Rod Distortion, Crybaby 95Q Wah, Daneletro trem, and a Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus. I like a nice, pronounced wah, so I'm thinking it should go last in the chain. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Phil

TFF Stage Crew
    pbs,

The general rule is volume- and tone-oriented effects in front of the amp (overdrive, distortion, compressor, wah, and even phase shifter).

If you have a true-bypass wah, put it wherever you like it, but if not, it should be first, 'cause you'll find it really picks up the noise from before itself otherwise.

You can put your pitch and time effects (chorus, flange, delay, reverb) in the loop if you want, usually in the order I listed them.

If you like to drive the preamp tubes hard in your HRD, and ESPECIALLY if you use the drive & more-drive channels in the HRD, the effects loop is a must to keep those pitch & time effects from sounding horrible.

Do note, though, that HRDs have a solid state effects loop (not tube-driven, same with the on-board reverb), so if you like a pure tube path, the effects loop will mess with that.

I don't use the other channels on my Blues Deluxe, so I put everything in front of my amp with no ill results, so basically, it's an option, not a necessity.
    Last edited by Jack w/his radar; 01-26-2003 at 03:33 PM.

A short thread from Cafe Wah.

http://www.cafewah.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=1161

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    Thanks for the help guys! I took your advice and tried a few different setups once I got my cables and everything, and you were right. Distortion before wah actually was NOT the sound I was looking for. Thanks again!