Thread: hot rod deluxe too harsh

hot rod deluxe too harsh

i turn the treb and presence down all the way and is still "tinny" any suggestions to tone it down??? its not the guitars--they are not thin sounding through my other amps ----do i need different tubes etc??? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Re: hot rod deluxe too harsh

SO much can be done in regards to tone on the HRDlx...but, what specifically is too harsh? Clean, Drive, More Drive, or all of those?

I have recently done some mods and tube swaps and am getting really good sounds from mine.

I guess all this depends on how much work you want to do to the amp, and whether or not you have an active warranty.

There are threads here regarding tube swaps (I have 12AY7s in V2 and V3 of mine) here: http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26322

Speaker swaps help too.

Like I said, there are lots of things you can do.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I suggest changing tubes and speaker. My recommendations, I use JJ Electronics exclusively. You can get them at www.eurotubes.com. As for the speaker, it depends what you want. Changing the tubes will take the harshness, muddiness and piercing highs away. The speaker change will take flabbiness out when the amp is at high volume.
    Another mans passion is another mans poison

I searched and gathered info here and went with the Weber Blue Dog ceramic speaker. I tried a number of tube combos and I have (sorta) settled on a NOS Tungsram 12ax7 in v1 (not tooo expensive), a GE triple mica 5751 in v2, and a NOS Mullard 12at7 in v3 (relatively cheap for NOS). These things improved the sound enormously. Using a 50w Weber MiniMass has also allowed me to get the volume up more into a sweet spot without it sounding too loud both at home and out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Forum Member

you can try the clean on 4 or more and reduce the guitar pot . this will result in a higher impedance and roll off highs . I personnaly use a power attenuator ( 50W /8 OHMS special Pot that anyone could build ) . I can adjust fatness and highs by adjusting guitar , vol and attenuator Pots

im also considering a speaker and tube swap on my hrdx but i just love that ice pick sound too much ha ha . im going all jj's 12ax7 and leave the stock power tubes for now. just changed tubes in the BJ .fender GT gold series EL84's and russian fender 12ax7's. havent been able to test the sound to much though but so far i can tell the amp is brighter now. i do have big bottom end now . amp on the floor in my 10 x 15' studio. big sound in a small room. i will switch speakers to jensens to match my 65 twin RI & the bassman. some dont like the jensens these days but ive had no trouble with farting out like some folks complain about .