Thread: When is Pantera classic rock?

Forum Member

When is Pantera classic rock?

I saw a poster at the music store for a band thatw as forming. It said classic rock. i am thinking Cream, Led Zep, the Who, etc. I called the phone number and it was some young kid I asked how old he was and he said 17. I am 31 and he said they wanted to play Pantera, Slayer, Venom, and Metallica. I told him thats not classic rock . This young fellow said yes it was. I was not going to get into an argument. i politely said I was not interested in the band and hung up.

Re: When is Pantera classic rock?

Face it man, you're old.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

i am thinking Cream, Led Zep, the Who, etc.
    Based on what the "classic rock" radio stations play today, you'd be correct...however, as Bradly has pointed out (thanks) we may be headed into "oldies" territory. Sad but True (to quote the "classic rock" group, Metallica.)
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

I wonder what classic rock will be called in 2070?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

I'll be 30 later this year and most of the "current" bands that I enjoyed in high school and to some degree, college, now show up on VH1 Classic (mainly "The Alternative").

It's a bitter pill, but I've accepted it. The bands that were mine and yours when we were in our teens then are sort of in the same stage of their careers that bands like AC/DC, Led Zep, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath and others were in when during that same time frame of our youth. A decade or so past their prime, split up, missing original members (sometimes, as in the case of Pantera, in a very permanent fashion) or churning out lame rehashings of their past glory (have you seen the new Peppers video? Cool song, but what the hell were they thinking?).

If you were to spend a few hours with some high school freshmen, it wouldn't be long before they were asking the "old man" what it was like to see Nirvana live, or go to the real Lollapallooza.
    "Go Team Venture!"

I've never ever heard anyone, young or old, describe Pantera as classic rock. That guy's obviously mixed up to some degree. I doubt he'll get too many phone calls for people interested in playing Pantera, Slayer, Venom, or Metallica. Well, at least not from anyone expecting to play that stuff.

I hear that....maybe he's thinking that the bands are more than (insert time here, maybe 10 years) old, they're classic...
    especially considering the lifespan of most music these days, come and gone in 6 months, that's practically forever...
    that said, the classic Rock station around here (beatles, stones, who, zep, etc) has been playing Guns N Roses Sweet Child o mine for the past month or so...I was wondering, then realized that Appetite for Destruction is 20 years old...ugh...I am getting old...

Quote Originally Posted by The Nazz Are Blue
    I've never ever heard anyone, young or old, describe Pantera as classic rock.
    Oh, sure they are... just like Jethro Tull winning the Grammy for best Heavy Metal!!!!
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

In our radio stations here in NC, it's defined as "any rock band that has a hit more than 15 years ago" then we choose from there. Most of us think of bands that aren't putting out music any more. For Pantera, both are true.
    But it's not rock, heavy metal... but so was Sabbath. All depends on your ears, I guess.
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

I wonder what classic rock will be called in 2070?
    Rock and roll is dead. Right?

In 2070 rock and roll will only exist in the small groups of people who are persecuted for their musical taste that gather at secret locations (or TFF) to worship their guitar gods. The underground movement will keep it just barely alive until it is rediscovered in a thousand years or so.

Hmmm....

The Beatles broke in the US in 1964, or fourty two years ago.

I'm sure some of you folks remember Ed Sullivan. I don't. I wan't born yet. :lol

When you were watching that, music that was 42 years old was the latest hits from commerical radio, which was just introduced. Some of them included

April Showers - Al Jolson
    Three O'Clock In The Morning - Paul Whiteman
    Way Down In New Orleans - Peerless Quartet
    Stumbling - Paul Whiteman
    Hot Lips - Paul Whiteman
    My Man - Fanny Brice
    My Buddy - Henry Burr
    Angel Child - Al Jolson
    On The Alamo - Isham Jones
    There'll Be Some Changes Made - Ethel Waters
    Do It Again - Paul Whiteman
    Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Shean - Gallagher & Shean
    Sheik of Araby - Ray Miller

The only tune on that list I've even heard of is Sheik of Araby. :ahem Unless Steely Dan covered that Paul Whiteman tune.

Back in the 70's, they called 50's music "Oldies." :lol

I guess it's all in your perspective.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

When I was a kid, my dad listened to a station that played "the Music of Your Life."
    Every generation or demographic has a "Your Life."
    The sad thing is, people seem to buy into the idea that "Your Life" ends some time around their mid-twenties and they settle into griping about "music these days."
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    When I was a kid, my dad listened to a station that played "the Music of Your Life."
    We had that in upstate NY. WWOM - The Wonderful World of Music. :lol

My childhood dentist played that in his waiting room.

When I was in high school, Dr. Gilbert came back from a conference, where he learned that music through headphones could aid in pain reduction.

So he dragged out a pair of those "educational quality" 70's headphones, and pumped WWOM through them!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I was 9 when we saw the Beatles on Sullivan. You could barely hear them over the screaming. I still think the kid was way off. Just because a band isn't around anymore doesn't make them classic rock. Sometimes the band wasn't really that great to begin with. All the classic rock stations in our area (Phila) play the Stones, Zep. the Who etc. Never really listened to Pantera. At 17 I guess he always uses the phrase "Back in the day," man I hate that.

I Am Geezer Man

There is one "classic rock" station in our area that has "Must have metallica" at night. 2 songs I think, back to back. Don't get me wrong, I love Metallica, but how is that classic rock? Then I thought, well..... I guess it is... I'm just getting older. Other than the fact that they still make albums, it makes sense. It's just newer.

Bottom line... CLASSIC ROCK is a industry term... thought up to put older ROCK into a format to make money off of it. If they think people will listen and advertiser will spend money, they'll add it to rotation. Hell, every classic rock station I've ever heard has tons of music from the 80s... I must hear Panama atleast 5 times a week.
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

Forum Member

when I was a kid my father would play guitar with my uncle and his son,I was just 4 or 5 years old then in 70 and 71.
    They played alot of CCR and country stuff like ghost riders,and wild wood flower,My father and uncle had old tube amps,a beat up looking champ and a old vox that looked like it had been thrown off a truck,my cousin had to plugg into my dad's stereo,it was solid state.
    It sounded horrible,LOL!!!
    a few years later I begin to learn how to play from him around 78.
    when kiss was big and aerosmith,Ted,Boston,Cheap trick,ZZtop.
    Now they are classic's,say's the media.Maybe he should have worded his add classic metal...

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Maybe he should have worded his add classic metal...
    Bingo.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Oh, you mean like Deep Purple?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Gravity Jim

Those of you who said it before are right: "classic rock" as we think of it is the name of a radio format. It means guitar heavy music that appeals to the current crop of geezers in training (i.e., us guys 40+). I guess that would include Pantera, depending on just how hard your classic rock station truly rocks ("X 102.7... the REAL Rocker!")

I like Kap'n's post on the subject, though... when the Beatles broke, the Fanny Brice 78 of "My Man" was 42 years old. So The Beatles are just as old now as Al Jolson records were then? Whoah.

That's what I like best about working in commercial music... I don't get to have a comfort zone. If a client wants hip-hop or Euro-dance or Young Country, I have to listen to it and learn something about it. So I don't have a favorite genre anymore. I just like music played with skill and conviction. And my kids keeping dragging these weird records in here and demanding that I listen... since my kids are smart people with good taste, I'm compelled to find something in it, even if I find it repellent at first blush.

But from a 17 year old kid's perspective, Metallica is definitely "classic," and it totally rocks.

The problem I have with your thesis GJ is that you seem to be implicity equating "old music" with "classic music". But as I'm sure we would agree, this really has no more validity than the analogous (but equally erroneous) idea that "old guitar" = "vintage guitar".

If a '70s Fender Scatocaster was a tone turd then, 30 years doesn't add anything substantial to its intrinsic qualities.

Same for Metallica. Age really has nothing to do with it. Every era of popular music (yes, even the fabled 60s!) produced its fair share of crap music, as we all know.

So whether you're 17 or 70, Metallica never "totally rocks." Unless of course we're talking musical IQ...

And no matter how many millions are served, a Big Mac will never be Cordon Bleu. A Big Mac is predictable (and popular) because it is derived from a formula. There is no creativity or surprise in a Big Mac meal. Even one that is supersized. Paradoxically perhaps, what makes a Big Mac so utterly boring is also what guarantees its success. Just like Metallica.

All IMHO, of course.

-Mark

So whether you're 17 or 70, Metallica never "totally rocks." Unless of course we're talking musical IQ...
    Master of Puppets
    Ride the Lightning
    Kill 'em All

I vote for 'totally rocks'. But thats just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc
    Master of Puppets
    Ride the Lightning
    Kill 'em All
    Would you like fries with that order, sir? Or perhaps you'd like to supersize it to include "St. Anger" for just $1 more...

I vote for 'totally rocks'. But thats just my 2 cents.
    2 cents? But you haven't told us what you think of 70's electric guitars and Big Macs!

I think for a full 2 cents worth we would also need to get your views on 70s "vintage" guitars and Big Mac cuisine...

-Mark

I think for a full 2 cents worth we would also need to get your views on 70s "vintage" guitars and Big Mac cuisine...
    I think 'vintage' '70s guitars rock! I got into them when my favorite band "The Dirt Farmers" started playing them.

And I'll have to hold off on my Big Mac views until I'm ready to throw 3 cents into the pot.

I think 'vintage' '70s guitars rock! I got into them when my favorite band "The Dirt Farmers" started playing them.
    The Dirt Farmers! Now those guys totally rock!
    And I'll have to hold off on my Big Mac views until I'm ready to throw 3 cents into the pot.
    With a name like "Guitar_Mc" I thought that might be a freebie. Oh well. I guess with oil prices the way they are, creeping inflation is inevitable...

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger

BOOOOOO!!!!!!

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

May I also jump in and defend Metallica...

why is there so much hate for them? Maybe hate is a strong word... dislike?

Yes, I agree that "St. Anger" was horrible.... but come on! You can't tell me that you're heart strings aren't moved by "fade to Black"!

Classic rock is any popular rock song that is from the generation previous to yours.

To me, Whole Lotta' Love is classic rock. To my kids, it's an oldie.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Whatever a person's tastes are, I think the term "classic" is just marketing. It serves to further narrow things down for people who don't want to wait around to make a qualitative decision about the next twenty minutes of music as they happen.
    Most people are just too busy for new experiences.

"I want my nostalgia, and I want it NOW!!!"

If they hear the deep voice proclaiming "50 minutes of Classic Rock... Every Hour!,"
    they can pre-like it and stay tuned.
    Even if programmers sneak three or four minutes of someone else's nostalgia in every hour or so.
    Last edited by NeoFauve; 04-21-2006 at 09:07 AM.
    Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

Well, sure! I wasn't saying that Metallic was "classic" in the "deserving eternal life and the people's ovation forever" kind of thing. I meant "classic" the way everybody means it now... in the marketing sense. Like "Coke Classic." To a 17-year-old, they're "classic."

But as to whether or not they bring the rock, well... I like to quote Lars on this one.

Interviewer: "What do you say to the critics who say you're too ready to sell out?"
    Lars Ulrich: "I say, you're damn right.... we sell out EVERY NIGHT, EVERY PLACE WE PLAY!" :)

That's supposed to be a smiling face, there.

8^D

Man, is that archaic or what?

50 minutes of Archaic Rock... Every Hour!
    That is, until 4:30... supper time.
    Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

Yeah, I like supper at 4:30 so we can still catch the Early Bird at the Ol' Country Porch Cracker Buffet.

I work for that classic rock station tonsofblues is talking about.....it is all a marketing gimic. "Classic rock" is nothing more than a section in a CD store and a format on a radio dial. Labels are meaningless to me

SRV.........do you look for him in the blues section of your CD store, or the rock?

like GJ said, depending on how hard your Classic Rock station rocks pantera might be doable in the format. At my station, we are competing against an oldies station that has a large female audience that we are trying to pull numbers from, so I doubt Pantera would make the cut.

But CCR would, and some more rockin 80's music would.

Why do you hear KWS's "Blue on Black" on a classic rock station? Cause it fits the "sound" of "classic rock"

As for Metallica.........I think they rock pretty damn hard.

The best guitar I have ever played was a 72' chocolate brown Strat with a maple neck and black p/g.

I prefer Wendy's double classic with cheese to a Big Mac.

thank you drive through
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Would you like a drink with that?

So does that make the show we're seeing tonight classic rock, blues, or rock? Maybe it just makes a mess....

I think it is pretty safe to say that pretty much anything that at one time was considered AOR (album oriented rock for you kiddies) is now Classic Rock.......with a few extras thrown in there for good measure (stuff that gets requested alot, like KWS, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, etc...)

the show we are seeing tonight is Super-High Definition Classic Blues Rock

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

To let everyone else in... we're seeing KWS with Double Trouble tonight! Rock on! (Smily with devil horns!)

Yeap... that's a mess. Maybe KWS will do a rap song.. that would throw another monkey wrench into this already large stack of doodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247
    I work for that classic rock station tonsofblues is talking about.....it is all a marketing gimic. "Classic rock" is nothing more than a section in a CD store and a format on a radio dial. Labels are meaningless to me
    All true. But I think the bigger point is that it has been a very successful marketing gimmick. The general public of a given age group now has an idea in their collective heads what 'classic rock' is. So if you're advertising for musicians to fill in a classic rock band, or trying to promote a classic rock working band, the phrase, like it or not, has meaning.

Can I get a classic double with a classic coke? It sure as hell has meaning for me... I'm hungry!

yeah I am thinking some wendy's......I know I was going to go earlier, but it just now stopped monsoon-ing......