Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 blues guitarists that are still alive?

Re: Top 3 blues guitarists that are still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by The Volitan
    Ok best blues guys...

Clapton. But Clapton doesn't really count cause he hasn't laid down REALLY good blues in a while.
    Well I dont know about that. Riding with the king and Me & Mr. Johnson were two very stellar albums.
    Haven't heard his newest one yet
    "The finger pointing at the moon is not the moon."

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    moonie- You'll always be #2 in my book.

Thanks Neo. It's good to know some folks don't kick a fellow aside just to follow the crowd to the new flavor of the week
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    Like I said earlier, I been listening to JV since he was 17. I still like him. I don't care if you don't. Or BB King or anybody else as far as that goes. You don't live at my house.
    Lemme' guess, you weren't on the debate team, were ya? :lol

Ok, I did some listening last night. I listened to some stuff on the 'net and a couple of tunes I had hidden around the house. Not that anyone cares, but here's my opinion based on what I heard.

71818's suggestion to listen to Tilt-A-Whirl was dead on. Nice stuff. I also found some cool things on Do You Get The Blues, a friend emailed them to me.

Jimmi is a decent player, that's all. He's not great, and I suspect there are a ton of players on this forum that could go head to head without breaking a sweat.

I enjoyed a lot of his riffs and he has a good feel, but he is extremely repetitious, and he seems to pick the worst sounding, most mundane licks to repeat. His 'tone' on a lot of the stuff (not all) I heard is thin and whiney. He had a far better overall sound with the T-birds.

While there are a few things I like, I'm not going to run out and buy anything. If there were something new about what he does, I would. His work just sounds average, with what amounts to poor presentation in a lot of cases.

Sorry, not for me. I maintain my original statement. Were it not for his brother, he would've become a has-been after the T-Birds. He is far better as a band member than a name. There is nothing special to set him apart from the other thousands of blues guys no one's ever heard of.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Gravity Jim

I think you're all right on this Jimmie Vaughn thing.

1. He's a hell of a nice guy, and a real student and historian of the blues, a curator and defender of some less flashy, rocky or possibly more "authentic" styles. In interviews, he promotes simplicity and purity of purpose, values that many players would do well to embrace.

2. He's also not a great technician or an innovator. Most of us could stand with him at a blues jam and keep up nicely - in fact, a couple of players on this forum could likely blow him off the stage - and so is probably not what you might consider one of the Three Greatest Living Blues Players (whatever that might mean, but hey, that's the purpose of this thread).

The thing that sticks in my craw is that all this attention to Jimmie Vaughn has choked the thread so that nobody has gotten around to mentioning ME yet. I mean, okay, maybe I'm not Top Three, but right up there... gotta be like a 5 or an 8 or something.

I mean, every day I got the blues. Seriously. Wanna know what else? Woke up this morning. With a bottle in my hand. Lord, lord, yes, I did. Meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly me.

Telecast, No innuendo. No ambiguity. Do you like JV or not? :ahem
    Then Play On

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

I know this guy isn't known for blues, and he isn't part of the first wave but...

in the tune Watt Ever, Phil Keaggy shows his blues side. It would make many guitarists think of changing instruments.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Jim- You're a fine picker, but I think you're just too damn commercial to be a real bluesman. :ahem
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

:bwa Can a moderator give Jim the "Post of the Day" thing?
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

Would that I could give GJ that award.

I lov ethe Meedly Meedly part. .. Dude, you tore it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    The thing that sticks in my craw is that all this attention to Jimmie Vaughn has choked the thread so that nobody has gotten around to mentioning ME yet. I mean, okay, maybe I'm not Top Three, but right up there... gotta be like a 5 or an 8 or something.

I mean, every day I got the blues. Seriously. Wanna know what else? Woke up this morning. With a bottle in my hand. Lord, lord, yes, I did. Meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly me.
    classic, utterly classic

I am using that meedly line in my next blues song

oh yeah, try and stop me

:rofl :bwa
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Gravity Jim

Credit where credit is due: I learned the awesome "meedly meedly" lick from one of the greatest rock guitar players of our time, Strong Bad. He can do it all!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail36.html

'Meedly meedly meedly meedly meedly me.'

Damned soulless wankers. :rl
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    Credit where credit is due: I learned the awesome "meedly meedly" lick from one of the greatest rock guitar players of our time, Strong Bad. He can do it all!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail36.html

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Holy Cow.... I laughed so hard I farted! That kinda hurt....
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

GRAVITY JIM - POST OF THE DAY! Give it to him!

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247
    I am using that meedly line in my next blues song

Don't try and get Vaughn, he won't be able to cover it....

Elvis Costello

"Top 3 blues guitarists that are still alive?"

I get the feeling that a few more will be "not alive" by the time this thread dies.....
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin
    "Top 3 blues guitarists that are still alive?"

I get the feeling that a few more will be "not alive" by the time this thread dies.....
    :lol BB's probably spinning on his chair over his exclusion.
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    classy

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    Jim- You're a fine picker, but I think you're just too damn commercial to be a real bluesman. :ahem
    I know you're right, Neo... how many real bluesman would sing, "Oh, I'm so lowdown, 'cause the client made me change this song for the fourth time...?

classy
    Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast

I thought that moment was over...

Guess not. Or is this something between you and guitars247?

Thanks for proving my point. You JV guys are so over the top you can't even take a poke.

QUICK! WE MUST DEFEND THE MASTER!

No... my point is "why must you bring up something that was over... and caused so many of us to get heated. I agreed to disagree and move on. You helped me on other threads and I thank you.. but why stir up something up that was such a touchy subject... or was that the point to start it again? I'm done with. I like JV, you don't as much... so be it. But that just seemed fishy to me...

I thought the issue was settled.

I thought Telecast's comment was pretty obviously...

Just a joke!

I read it as tongue-in-cheek as well.

sacred cows, man. sacred cows.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

If you think that I can no longer poke fun at a specific subject because you've deemed it over, you're wrong.

The fact of the matter is that you guys are primed and cocked. You're looking for something you think is 'fishy' to pounce on.

for the record I dont own a single JV album, and most of the stuff that people have been talking about as far as work he has done is beyond my recognition. the scope of what I know of Jimmie is purely from the performances I witnessed in person in 2001 in Chattanooga, and also the DVD's mentioned by others here, the Crossroads DVD and the Tribute to Stevie. So NO, I don't worship JLV by any stretch of the imagination. I just think it is utter crap for anyone to call him a hack. I defend John Mayer with the same ferocity, I will defend any guitar player who busts his ass to play the music he loves. I think it is a cheap shot to criticize a guitarist for playing fewer notes, or repeat riffs.........I dont care who it is. JLV is more in line with my personal musical tastes, yes, but that isn't why I am defending him. I think guitarists that are shredders and run blistering scales are amazing guitarists, not my cup of tea, but amazing guitarists. But who the hell am I to criticize them for their playing style, when I am just sitting there in the home studio plucking away at my strat and dreaming of being on stage.

So no Telecast, I am not trying to "defend the master" I just think it is a low blow what some people have said about both B.B. King and JLV on this thread. Just because you and those who think like you don't like his music or playing style doesnt give you the right to call him a hack.

He loves that guitar as much as you love yours. So give the guy a break.

I would even defend YOU if someone was calling you a hack or criticizing your playing style....because you have the same passion that all of us share.

We are all pickers Telecast......and I just think we should respect what we each can bring to the table, no more no less.

I just think it is a low blow what some people have said about both B.B. King and JLV on this thread. Just because you and those who think like you don't like his music or playing style doesnt give you the right to call him a hack.

Not trying to take you to task personally but consider what it's like here for those of us who actually listen to some shred every now and then...

The blues ninjas undeniably rule the roost here and despite the fact that I'm not really a blues guy (though I do have a lot of blues albums, CDs, blah blah) I'm still here and I try not to take the numerous disparaging comments about a style of music I like personally. Most of the time, anyway.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Yet another way to look at it is whether you would feel good saying the same things about somebody to their face as what you've floated out there on the Net, more or less anonymously (at least as far as the subject is concerned). FWIW, I was taught never to criticize people behind their back or in public, only one on one in private. But then again I was raised way out in the sticks where we have very different ways of doing things...

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker
    Not trying to take you to task personally but consider what it's like here for those of us who actually listen to some shred every now and then...

The blues ninjas undeniably rule the roost here and despite the fact that I'm not really a blues guy (though I do have a lot of blues albums, CDs, blah blah) I'm still here and I try not to take the numerous disparaging comments about a style of music I like personally. Most of the time, anyway.
    that is my point..........I will listen to some shred, and musically respect what the guitarist is able to do without dismissing it because it isnt in line with my personal tastes. I have heard blues players and others dismiss shredders as "show-offs", "soul-less scale players", etc....and I will defend those shredders as well. Usually, such quick dismissal is out of jealousy. I am simply amazed at what people like Zakk, Yngwie, Steve Vai, et al are able to produce with their guitar. I don't listen to it when I sit down to listen to music 9 times out of 10....but I still respect them as musicians...I can be blown away musically by a shredder to the same extent a blues bender can amaze me. Randy Rhodes to this day continues to blow my mind, everytime I listen to "Diary of a Madman", "Mr. Crowley", etc....Rhodes completely blows me away.

While 9 times out of ten I will turn to the blues these days...I used to try and learn the shred stuff. I learned a lot from those guys. I think it has made me a much better rhythm player than I would have been otherwise. I definitely learned palm-muting much more than I would have otherwise.

Personally, I don't care/mind/whatever if someone likes my style of music... hell, I would have broke up with my girlfriend along time ago if that's true. Sometimes I don't even like it. I enjoy a good debate... for some reason or another, this debate just seems different... I can't put my finger on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonsofBlues
    Personally, I don't care/mind/whatever if someone likes my style of music... hell, I would have broke up with my girlfriend along time ago if that's true. Sometimes I don't even like it. I enjoy a good debate... for some reason or another, this debate just seems different... I can't put my finger on it.
    I don't care either, but just because someone doesnt like a musical style or playing style, doesnt give them the right to call someone a hack or a bad player.

I don't like polka, it is my least favorite music, but I have heard some dudes flat out get down on some accordion.

I think it is a cheap shot to criticize a guitarist for playing fewer notes, or repeat riffs.........I dont care who it is. So no Telecast, I am not trying to "defend the master" I just think it is a low blow what some people have said about both B.B. King and JLV on this thread. Just because you and those who think like you don't like his music or playing style doesnt give you the right to call him a hack.

He loves that guitar as much as you love yours. So give the guy a break.
    Point taken, but I ask you to consider this:

I love BB King. He is my one and only guitar hero, although I have an incredible amount of respect for many. He isn't technically advanced, He doesn't do flashy, he doesn't do speed. Those that have heard me play will tell you I am steeped in old-school blues. I love to rock, I love the newer blues, but if I had to pick one style that I most closely emulate, it'd be the old stuff. I do really good T-Bone Walker, you ought to hear me sometime.

Ok, now then, how is it that:
    Through the BB bashing, I have not said one word in his defense?

And:
    Even though I've been (subtly)accused of not liking JV because he isn't a technical marvel or a speed freak, I can still feel the way I do? I mean, he isn't all that far off from BB in style, is he? He focuses on the old school riffs and blues. Sparse playing, accents. It's there.

Here's the answer: It doesn't matter. It's all opinions. It's fun to debate, if you can do it without hurt feelings. If we all agreed with everything, there'd be no point.

We are all pickers Telecast......and I just think we should respect what we each can bring to the table, no more no less.
    And there's nothing wrong with that, but it certainly does not preclude any of us from our opinions, or likes, or our dislikes.

Actually, my point was that you can't be thin-skinned on an internet forum where you can't accurately ascertain what the actual intent of comment X really was....

You can't judge whether a person is being sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek, curious, moody or serious. All we have are emoticons to convey 'emotional content.' We've all seen arguments that could have been avoided had a poster not forgotten a silly emoticon to denote a lack of seriousness.

I'm all square on this side... I must say... this has been one of the most interesting and indepth threads I've seen in a while.

Guitars247, I saw you said something about Zakk.... BRING IT ON!! Say something, I dare you!

Oh yeah... almost forgot... :smokin

Seriously, though.

Don't limit yourself to three. Go to the websites of Alligator, Fat Possum, and some of the other blues labels and look at their touring schedules. Then just take in as many shows as you can.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Hud: you may not claim Blues Nijahood, but you can sho' nuf play 'em.

Oh... and the answer is

Hubert Sumlin
    Buddy Guy

and, err
    Peter Green

Thanks, clay. I do what I can.