Thread: who here uses in ear monitors live?

Forum Member

who here uses in ear monitors live?

i bought a nady system and shure E2 ear-phones. anyone else (that sings i guess) use in ear monitors? i have yet to actually try them out in a live setting.

:blbros

Re: who here uses in ear monitors live?

Our church praise band uses 5 in-ears (2 guitars, piano, organ and lead vocalist). We have a couple of floor monitors for the rest of the singers and the drummer and bass player (but it was just too much stage volume when we tried to to please everybody with more wedges). The in-ears take some getting used to. Your's may have come with a few different size ear plugs - take the time to find the best fit! One of our guys ended up buying the Sennheiser ear plugs to plug into his Shure belt pack since he liked the feel of those better over long periods of time in his ear. The other thing you have to watch is that certain channels tend to pick up more static (even moving a few feet can make a big difference) so take the time to experiment with all the settings so as to find the best one for you (I've seen several people who didn't do this end up tossing the in-ears).
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

I use them in my acoustic duo and with a band that I sit in with from time to time. With the duo it is easy to setup the mix and with the band they have a very flexible monitor mixer and a great soundman. I love using them especially with the acoustic duo. It allows me to use a lighter touch w/ the acoustic and get a better tone. And with a touch of reverb in the mix, singing is an absolute joy with them. BTW, I use Shure (I forget the model) in-ear phones.
    I don't use them in my primary band because we don't carry a soundman and I have to keep an ear on the mix in the fronts.

TFF Stage Crew

We use them in both of my main bands--Shure PSM something or another.

I like them, but the singer(s) love them. I usually use one in the ear closest to the drummer and leave the other one out so I can get some "feel" from my amp.

When I have both in I hear everything perfectly and my ears never ring after the gig, which is obviously excellent. However, having both in makes me feel removed from the energy a little bit.