Thread: so what's everyone up to? (rig?)

so what's everyone up to? (rig?)

just thought i'd throw it out there and see what everyone is working on/tweaking.

right now for me:

my original tele bass type warmoth custom
    the "pawn shop prized" ibanez

all into a board that houses a true bypass pedal (for the tuner), my modded dynacomp (have to get the keeley comp back from my guitar player...), and the keeley modded rat. this is all going into the ampeg v4b feeding the ampeg svt classic 4X10.

i still haven't got around to contacting my amp tech to replace the power switch in the nomad. i'm also still working on the sg bass. and in addition to everything else i'm working on, i'm trying to design a semi-hollow fretless bass. it will house the les paul recording bass pup i have laying around.

of course there is still the new tele bass i'm building. i just have to find a week where i can go down south and paint it.

so what is everyone else up to?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: so what's everyone up to? (rig?)

I have to admit that I haven't touched my J-bass since before Christmas other than to wipe her down and put her in the case. I've been so sick that I put the cover on the Mesa Boogie and occasionally look in the Mancave while RC's practicing but that's about it.

Bronchitis, this blasted pre-ulcer, migraines, and everything else that's going to hell has about side-lined me so far.
    Last edited by shoebox22; 03-23-2006 at 01:40 PM.
    They're REAL anyway.....

I have an ash J bass (copy) that is going to be getting a couple of things.....one is a Belnder Pot (Thanks Chuck-O)....

I may have an onboard preamp and micro switch going in.......I am thinking about using the switch to go between a .1 mf cap and another undetermined value to affect the bright/dark sound of the bass.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I'd love to say I'm working on tweaking a rig... I guess I sort of am...

My future brother in law bought an amplifier repair place a few years ago, when he bought it, he got all the stuff the previous owner had- a lot of non-working stuff. One of the non-working amps was a Fender 300 PS. It looks like it could be a whole lot of badass amp in one place, but it needs work- we'll be working on it as we get time...

This is not our amp...

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I just bought an Avatar 2x12 with the Eminence (NOT neo) speakers, and it has exceeded my expectations. It handles tons of power and volume (I have a 1000 watt Carvin Red Line head), and reproduces my B string very well. When I stack it up on top of my 1x18, I can rattle the neighbors windows!

I took it to a rehearsal last week, and immediately got compliments on the sound. The adjustable Foster tweeter and heavy duty crossover are excellent. Can't beat the price either! I learned about Avatar here on the forum, and if you don't know about them you should check out their web site............

Quote Originally Posted by davey
    My future brother in law bought an amplifier repair place a few years ago, when he bought it, he got all the stuff the previous owner had- a lot of non-working stuff. One of the non-working amps was a Fender 300 PS.
    Rich Koerner at Time Electronics is a big PS fan. He might be able to help you.

Realize that there's SERIOUS power in a PS amp. Hell, it uses a 6V6 as a driver tube! Not something to mess with if you don't know what you're doing.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

As far as bass goes, my main is a '92 Gibson Les Paul Bass - not sure the exact model, but it's basically the same as an LP Special, slab body, 2 HBs, v/v/t pots.
    One of these days when I get some money set aside, I want to get a Fender bass, Jazz body with Precision neck. See plenty of the other way around, but the closest I've seen to what I want is the Frank Belllo signature. I don't really want someone else's name on my instrument (except for Les Paul, ut that's a different case) Plus, I don't really ant a P-bass pickup in there, and I do want tone control.
    I guess I'll end up either mix and match,m and sell what's left, go Warmouth, or build my own (I'll be taking a class this fall in building a guitar, and should be able to translate that to bass, if I decide to go that route.)
    I currently run through Ampeg BA112...good enough for home and jamming. If I was playing out, either Ampeg B2R/410 cab or SWR Black Beauty(with 1x15 internal) with external 410 would be the rig...

shoot man, just buy a decent j bass and slap a warmoth j neck on it. that's the beauty of fender basses (the p and j) you can swap the necks out on them really easily. they have the same heel profile.

post some pics when you get that thing done! have fun with your class.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Chuck: That's one of the options I'm thinking about...another is to just go complete Warmoth. I can get exactly what I would like, like rear-mount countrols, as well as be able to pick and choose hrdware and electrics, like put a peizo in there as well.
    I've priced it out, and going Warmoth would be less than mix & matching.
    I'll definitly be posting pics of the class and the bass when /if I get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Rich Koerner at Time Electronics is a big PS fan. He might be able to help you.

Realize that there's SERIOUS power in a PS amp. Hell, it uses a 6V6 as a driver tube! Not something to mess with if you don't know what you're doing.
    The transformers were shot...

Quote Originally Posted by davey
    The transformers were shot...

Anybody making repros these days?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Exactly.

For the price of the transformers it wasn't worth the repair. The amp is gone.