Thread: Broncos and short scale basses for guitarists

Broncos and short scale basses for guitarists

Does anyone play a Bronco Squier or an old Mustang short scale bass for recording? Do you like it? Comments?

I play guitar; Fenders, PRS and Martins. I write and record at home. I have a Squier P Bass with DiMarzio Hot Bass pickup and a TKL case. I have a hard time with the full scale bass; it seems gigantic in my left hand after playing a Tele.

I started looking at the silly Badtz Maru Bronco thinking that the scale would be great for a guitar player and the bass could be collectable. I paid $350 for a limited edition "Felix" Martin LXM travel acoustic 18 months ago and they are selling for $600.00 + on ebay used now.

My son is 9. The Badtz bass may inspire him to play; he has a baritone uke that he handles very well.

Standard Squire Broncos are $159 new, the Badtz is $199.

Any thoughts on the short scale basses???

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0335106506

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0310902558
    Carry On!

John

Re: Broncos and short scale basses for guitarists

i had a squier bronco and gave it to photoweborama cause i never got around to using it. it was a good bass from what i remember playing it. i just already had a bunch of other basses too. so that one went.

i still have a 78 musicmaster that i bought several years ago, which i a great little bass too. i did however put a lawrence rail pup in it, and it also has 50-105 flats on it. they don't fit "correctly", but they play and sound great.

i am of the persuasion that they are cool for noodling around on at the house, but if you're going to use them out live, don't expect them to have the impact a P or J is going to have. i like both, but you just have to expect the short scale to not sound as deep, or "real" bass like if you're used to hearing a long scale.

i must say also that i used to play the musicmaster in the college jazz band i played it to great effect. but like i said, i think a rail type pup is a great idea for those type of basses.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I still have my Bronco and RC picks it up occasionally if we don't have a bassist show up for practice. Its well loved.
    They're REAL anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by studio1087
    Does anyone play a Bronco Squier or an old Mustang short scale bass for recording? Do you like it? Comments?

I play guitar; Fenders, PRS and Martins. I write and record at home. I have a Squier P Bass with DiMarzio Hot Bass pickup and a TKL case. I have a hard time with the full scale bass; it seems gigantic in my left hand after playing a Tele.

I started looking at the silly Badtz Maru Bronco thinking that the scale would be great for a guitar player and the bass could be collectable. I paid $350 for a limited edition "Felix" Martin LXM travel acoustic 18 months ago and they are selling for $600.00 + on ebay used now.

My son is 9. The Badtz bass may inspire him to play; he has a baritone uke that he handles very well.

Standard Squire Broncos are $159 new, the Badtz is $199.

Any thoughts on the short scale basses???

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0335106506

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0310902558
    I, too, was a guitar player who wanted a bass, but I found P-Bass necks and the neck of our bass player's Spector to be too big as well.

So...I got a Fender Jazz (a MIM Taco-Jazz, actually), and it was much easier to play. I put in the 60's reissue pickups, and it sounds fine.

I've played it for years in bands and on home recordings, but then I got a hankerin' for a P-Bass. I bought one last year, and I guess all the years of playing the Jazz Bass got my hands and fingers used to playing on a larger neck of sorts, and actually the P-Bass neck doesn't seem to bad any more.

I do kinda want one of those Bronco basses or an old Musicmaster bass...just to have, you know?
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

I got a P-Bass Jr. I haven't put it through the trial by fire yet though. It plays fine, had it at practice and it is fine.

The strings weren't real lively but then again, htey are original and it was used when I got it.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I bought the Badtz Maru Bronco. $200. I could have gotten a new Standard Bronco for $150 or a used Bronco on ebay for as little as $110.

I couldn't resist the silly Bat bass. My 9 year old son thinks it's the coolest thing in the world.

My nephew is a great guitar player. He came to the store with me and mainly picked on me and the bat bass until he actually played the thing. He said " Man this is easy to play; it feels like a guitar". The sound is really punchy.

It's going to be a treat to record with the Bat Bronco.
    Carry On!

John

:yay
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"