Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAXIMIZING your TONE - Top 10

Forum Member

MAXIMIZING your TONE - Top 10

I recently read an article which I thought was pretty educational and wondered if anyone here had any input or additional thoughts.....

for full version visit: http://www.epinions.com/content_2584649860

Cliff notes version:

1. Change Strings Often.
    2. Use HEAVIER string gauges.
    3. Use better quality pickups.
    4. Add a graphic EQ.
    5. Picks. - Picks do make a difference, heavy vs light, plastic vs nylon, and they come in several different sizes.
    6. Guitar cables. - Good high quality instrument cables will provide better static-free connections and an ultra clean signal. Often the higher the gauge, the better the frequency response and this results in lower triboelectric noise (often referred to as “microphonics” or “handling noise”). So, high quality guitar cables prevent the deterioration of the signal, however minute it might be, resulting in much less interference and static noise than what you would get with cheap guitar cables.
    7. About distortion boxes...One or None! One distortion peddle may be required to add a little color to your amp, but eliminate all unnecessary and/or unused pedals from your signal chain! Too many peddles will weaken your signal and downgrade your tone. And you want to MAXIMIZE your tone, not minimize it.
    8. Light-handed playing style = WEAK tone!
    9. Many studies are still being done in regards to “psycho-acoustics”, but what has already been determined is that 85dB is the optimum SPL level for reference mixing and sound design. Raise the volume until you get an 85dB reading on the SPL meter.

10. For single channel tube amps - Crank up your tube amp and control it from your guitar.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: MAXIMIZING your TONE - Top 10

Some good basic points, although not everything mentioned will work for everyone in every setting (i.e. live vs. studio, etc.).

I disagree with #4 and #8 completely. #9 is too high tech for this dumbass.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

I'll get to the full article later. But to respond to your Cliff notes:

1. Agreed
    2. Depends on the sound you're after and what feel you like out of the strings. SRV got a great sound out of heavy strings. EVH got a great sound out of super light strings.
    3. Sure. Better gear is... uh... better. I'd say a better amp before upgraded pickups.
    4. Yup yup yup. Just added an EQ to my effect chain and am very impressed. Lots of new possibilities. Cheap, too.
    5. Agreed. How you hold it makes a big difference too. I started playing with the flatter end of the pick about a year ago and like the results quite a bit.
    6. I'm sure this makes some difference but I'd guess that this is an area where you could spend a ton of money for minute returns. Just use good cables. No need to spend $10/foot on them.
    7. Again, this is probably true to some extent but not necessarily to a great degree. That crazy dude in Phish used a zillion effect boxes and nobody's saying his tone sucks.
    8. Bullshit. Light-handed playing = less hand fatigue and greater speed and dexterity. Playing efficiently is what yields a good, fat tone. You don't need to pound on the instrument like an animal. That's for show.
    9. Our ears react different at different levels. This might be true, I dunno. Never studied it that closely. I play at a level that won't upset the wife.
    10. Agreed.
    s'all goof.

I mostly agree with Curtis, especially on #8, which is a direct falsehood.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

Like most opinions, it's BS. Everything on that list can be contradicted by anecdotal evidence, and that "psychoacoustic" thing is hilarious (the fact that humans perceive more low end as gain increases isn't a mystery awaiting psychoacoustic research, and nobody can name a number of "dB's" as optimum listening).

So is "maximize your tone." And so is "...a stronger signal, thus delivering a more rich smooth tone." (What is this, a coffee commercial?)

But not as hilarious as "Some guitar players require distortion boxes because they are "light-handed" guitar players." And funnier still: "Often the higher the gauge, the better the frequency response and this results in lower triboelectric noise." (Taken right off the Planet Waves website, I'll wager.)

This guy doesn't know how many beans make five. Although I noticed that the last two didn't come from his list... what's the source?

Forum Member

From another article he wrote..

Gravity Jim

Well, I'm sure that one is just as illuminating.

My method:

1. Play the guitar.
    2. Play it more.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Forum Member

I totally agree with the eq. Especially if you don't have a top quality amp. My Hot Rod Deluxe cleans up fairly well with the eq. It's pretty muddy without it.

Assault those strings and exert enough strength in your playing style to strangle the neck on your guitar and to squeeze every bit of tone out of it.

Yeah, right. And then when your hands are totally ruined with tendonitis, you'll wonder why you can barely play a barre chord anymore.

I sure hope this bozo isn't teaching lessons somewhere. How many guitarists are going to be ruined by this horrible "advice"?
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Really?

Gravity Jim

Yep, really. Nothing will improve your tone more than practice. Because a huge percentage of how the note sounds is truly, actually "in the hands:" it's a result of learning to fret and pick the note consistently and well.

Did you read the other articles from this doofus? I loved the one where he lays out the the kinds of players (Guitar Owners, Guitar Players and Real Guitarists), and sets requirements for each level (turns out a Guitar Player only changes his strings every couple of months and might even play through a POD, but a Real Guitarist changes his strings EVERY DAY and won't play through a modeler... ha!).

This is precisely why The Interweb sux.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    My method:

1. Play the guitar.
    2. Play it more.
    Amen.

:ahem
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

No I didnt see that article..... That is pretty funny.

I did like a few of his suggestions, specifically..........

1. Change Strings Often.
    10. For single channel tube amps - Crank up your tube amp and control it from your guitar.

So rather than tear that guy apart, which I think has been done. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Per Telecast...

1. Play the guitar.
    2. Play it more.
    There's your suggestions.

Forum Member

I get so F'ing tired of these type responses.......

I'm sorry, You have a valid question. There are lots of techniques that change your tone. My only point is that the tone is subjective.

Some people like to change strings 'every day' and some prefer the sound of them after they have been broken in a bit.

Some people like to dime a champ amp and control it with the volume pot on the guitar, however, some people don't.

Everything on the original list is something you can experiment with. You have to be the one who decides if it works with the music you play and the way that you play it.

sorry if my rudeness offended.

Gravity Jim

Why? Do you think this response is flip and insincere because you're waiting for someone to give you The Real Answer? There isn't one except to practice. That's all there is. Everything else is hooey. That's the answer. By playing, you'll find your voice, your amp settings, your picking techniques... there isn't any set of perfect ones that work for everybody for "maximum" tone! That goal is pointless because the goal doesn't exist.

Sure wish I could tell you what knob to turn or gizmo to buy, but THERE IS NO SUCH ANSWER.

The Interweb is full to bursting with self-important yahoos who will happily BS you blind all day about body woods and pickups and nitro and how they interact with certain amps, and what guitar you "need" for which gigging situation and how to find "maximum tone." The ones who used to hang around TFF have moved on. The response you're getting from these players is not something to "get tired of," dude. It's the only actual answer.

As for the original post... "change strings often" isn't a revelation or even a suggestion, it's just a fact every player knows. It should read "Change strings when they go dead."

Hank Hill: "It's like at the campfire, Peggy, when you told everybody that, IN YOUR OPINON, kindling is the best wood to start a fire."
    Peggy Hill: "Well, isn't it?"
    Hank: "Well, of course it is, but that's not "your opinion," it's common knowledge!"

Seriously, though, nobody is telling you that, if you got something out of this article you're wrong. We're saying that while something you read in this article might spur your think, nothing in it is The Right Answer. "Distortion boxes, one or none!" No.... the real answer is... try everything at your disposal.

I play light strings (10s) with a very light touch so I can run crazy low action on my Strat, and I play it through a modeler, and you can ask anybody... I'm a real live guitar player. :) Maybe YOU want to play real heavy strings cranked up high and bang on them real hard through a succession of tube amps. WE'RE BOTH RIGHT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    Why? Do you think this response is flip and insincere because you're waiting for someone to give you The Real Answer? There isn't one except to practice. That's all there is. Everything else is hooey. That's the answer. By playing, you'll find your voice, your amp settings, your picking techniques... there isn't any set of perfect ones that work for everybody for "maximum" tone! That goal is pointless because the goal doesn't exist.

Sure wish I could tell you what knob to turn or gizmo to buy, but THERE IS NO SUCH ANSWER.

The Interweb is full to bursting with self-important yahoos who will happily BS you blind all day about body woods and pickups and nitro and how they interact with certain amps, and what guitar you "need" for which gigging situation and how to find "maximum tone." The ones who used to hang around TFF have moved on. The response you're getting from these players is not something to "get tired of," dude. It's the only actual answer.

As for the original post... "change strings often" isn't a revelation or even a suggestion, it's just a fact every player knows. It should read "Change strings when they go dead."

Hank Hill: "It's like at the campfire, Peggy, when you told everybody that, IN YOUR OPINON, kindling is the best wood to start a fire."
    Hank: "Well, of course it is, but that's not "your opinion," it's common knowledge!"

Seriously, though, nobody is telling you that, if you got something out of this article you're wrong. We're saying that while something you read in this article might spur your think, nothing in it is The Right Answer. "Distortion boxes, one or none!" No.... the real answer is... try everything at your disposal.

I play light strings (10s) with a very light touch so I can run crazy low action on my Strat, and I play it through a modeler, and you can ask anybody... I'm a real live guitar player. :) Maybe YOU want to play real heavy strings cranked up high and bang on them real hard through a succession of tube amps. WE'RE BOTH RIGHT.
    :yay That about nails it.

- who is the hottest woman on the planet?

- what is the best tasting food?

- what is the best kind of music?

- what is the best automobile ever made?

kind of like trying to find a one-fix answer for tone isn't it? the more you play and tinker the more you will find "your" tone. My tone sucks to some people, some people dig it, but bottom line is it gets me where I want to go. I don't need some self-righteous tone "guru" spouting to me what I should and shouldn't do. I play heavy strings, with a high action because I want my strings to fight me back. It gets me where I want to go. When I began and was in a different place musically, I played slinky 9's, sometimes 8's. I broke a lot of strings, but it fit at the time. I used to use tons of effects pedals, now I plug in a tubescreamer and a wah pedal into my tube amp. I control my volume from my guitar. I play heavy handed, AND light handed, depends on what is flowing through me.

don't let anyone tell you what sounds good. that is all up to you
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Forum Member

1st: Your tone did not offend pun intended......
    2nd: this is a discussion forum to toss around ideas.....
    3rd: I love Hank Hill
    4th: I just like to learn little tricks that other people may know. Randy Rhodes used to take a lesson in every city where he toured. I may not be able to play as well as Randy but guess what I guarantee I know something that he does not know, or I may know a lick or phrase that he did not think to try. Of course I know he is dead so lets not respond with more obvious posts.
    5th: who is the hottest woman on the planet? Elle McPherson
    6th: I know my tone is my tone..... but we all act high and mighty about finding our own tone then we go out and buy a DRRI and a strat and a TS808. 90% of us in this forum play on the same gear that someone else designed and put together. unless you DESIGN & build your own gear you are really taking pieces of other peoples tone and manipulating it which is all I want to know...... How are you doing it.... what trick did you ever learn that made you go "oh wow that was cool"?

I am not looking to alter my sound per say just try different things.

Forum Member

oh and..........

7th: I know 99% of it is in the soul/fingers

And all this time, I thought it was tinder.

Six months of scouting down the tubes.....
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Ah, the thing is that even with a DRRI, strat and TS808, two different players can get totally different sounds.

I think it's sorta ridiculous to talk about a player's "tone". I mean, I listen to a lot of different players and not a one of them have just one particular "tone". They'd be boring if they did.

I think it's more the phrasing and other expressive devices that we lazily lump together as "tone". No piece of gear is going to improve that. Only practice, listening, hard work.
    s'all goof.

I just listened to different people that I liked, read interviews with them where they talked about their tone, then started twisting knobs. I used a Boss Superoverdrive for nearly 10 years through a solid state Peavey, then I tried a tube amp and I bought my little Blues Junior, then I got my TS-9 RI and found myself closer to the tone I wanted. The big change came when I broke free from the bridge pickup as the only one I ever used. I probably didn't move my pickup selector switch for 7 years, then one day.......voila.

Also, I now have been tinkering around with a DigiTech Digital Delay, but I miss my old DD-5 Boss delay, that was the best, I could do things that brought the hairs on the back of my neck up.

To me, it is just all trial and error. I have gotten some things way wrong. I thought Texas Specials were the answer to my own personal tone search, but Fat 50's take me closer to where I want to be.

I used to reverb the hell out of my amps, now I just use very very very little. Sometimes, my signal is completely dry, and at times I like that.

Turn knobs, tinker, and when you find something that makes you say "that was cool" post it on here so we can try it :)

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Forum Member

I am not looking for gear to improve my playing.

I guess my post is too broad of a topic...... :toobad

Sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    Ah, the thing is that even with a DRRI, strat and TS808, two different players can get totally different sounds.

I think it's sorta ridiculous to talk about a player's "tone". I mean, I listen to a lot of different players and not a one of them have just one particular "tone". They'd be boring if they did.

I think it's more the phrasing and other expressive devices that we lazily lump together as "tone". No piece of gear is going to improve that. Only practice, listening, hard work.
    I agree........but at the same time, when I grab my Les Paul I play completely differently then I do when I have on my Strat, or when I am on my new archtop (ahhhhh, she's a beaut...pics to come)

A lot of people confuse playing with "tone", but I do agree that certain players have a tonality that is nearly instantly recognizable. When I hear a fuzzed out Strat the first person I think of is Jimi Hendrix. When I hear velvety smooth blues licks, I think of B.B.. A lot of that is through the style at which they attack the strings, but certain players "tone" cuts through like a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by guitars247

Tie: Anna Kournikova and Jennifer Love Hewitt; Mexican; Alt.country; and '57 Chevy Bel Air

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Part of the dispute/misunderstandings is probably in one's definition of "good tone." I happen to agree with most of the list, but ONLY because my idea of "good tone" is likely similar to the author's. That is, to me B.B. King has great tone and he's hitting the strings hard and true with a ton of attack, probably w/o tricking up with pedals, etc. OTOH, I can't argue with Larry Carlton's compressed pedal tone either and I'm sure it requires a whole different (much lighter) attack and approach. The beauty is in the ear of the beholder...

Gravity Jim

Somhow, this post got AHEAD of the one I was answering... so down below is the actual post....

Like most opinions, it's BS. Everything on that list can be contradicted by anecdotal evidence, and that "psychoacoustic" thing is hilarious (the fact that humans perceive more low end as gain increases isn't a mystery awaiting psychoacoustic research, and nobody can name a number of "dB's" as optimum listening).

Interesting. So you are claiming that the work that Fletcher and Munson published at Bell Labs in 1933 is "BS"? That ATH and equal loudness curves are hogwash? I always thought Fletcher-Munson curves where part of Acoustics 101. And hence, the "loudness" button on a stereo amplifier is a marketing gimmick?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

OK, that would make perfect sense. Hence the use of question marks and not exclamatin points in my post. :)

Hey fezz, your reply to me was up above my post. Weird.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim

1. A friend of mine, you probably don't know her
    2. Salmon and red tuna sushi w/ pickled ginger and wasabi
    3. The kind played by good musicians
    4. 1965 Aston Martin DB-5

ANd here's the repost of the one that got out of order somehow...

OSA, I was only saying that the by now obviously well-known Fletcher Munson curves are not the mysterious phenom the article writer seemed to be making them out to be.

As far as I know, the ATH contours do not indicate any "optimal listening" loudness. You should keep listening levels in your studio consistent to avoid being fooled, but I don't think there is indication in the curves that "85 dB" is the perfect human listening level.

I guess I should have said, "... a mystery awaiting FURTHER psychoacoustic research." Sorry if I implied something else.

Man, we must've all been typing at the same time. Yep Jim, re-reading your post you make perfect sense. Sorry for my confusion.

man, this is confusing enough, but the time warping makes it really fun.

Gravity Jim

See! It really DID HAPPEN! I wasn't losing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    The beauty is in the ear of the beholder...
    Or in the eye of the beer holder.

"Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinkin' "

I JUST DON'T KNOW!! :wah :wah
    I've had the flu for like a week so nothing's looked, tasted or sounded very good, and I haven't really moved.
    Weeze, hack...

The only thing that was ever essential for me was being able to hear. Hear the whol band, the singer, yourself. That way you don't have to find some other way to over compensate. Tone is nice, but the main thing is to be able to play the right stuff at the right time. Along with the hands and fingers, and gear, it's the ears.
    Can't wait 'til mine start working right again.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Offshore Angler in post #34, "Hey fezz, your reply to me was up above my post. Weird."

If you think that's weird...last Saturday or Sunday, (I fergit which one it was,) I posted something here at TFF and then, when I clicked on the Forum Jump box, I got the Les Paul Forum menu. I reclicked the box a few more times trying to jump here, but the LPF menu continued to appear. Weird , huh?

As for maximizing tone:

1. I change strings when they're dead or won't tune up.

2. I go back and forth between .009s and .010s, nickel wrap or pure nickel,
    depending on my mood at the time. Although these days I find the .009s a little easier on my stiffening fingers.

3. The pups on my guitars are stock and I'm not unhappy with them. They make the guitars sound like they're supposed to sound.

4. I've never tried an EQ, but I might sometime. I hear that it might be more effective than a booster. But I usually try to use the guitar volume for that.

5. Picks. Here's where that guy's onto something that will change your tone faster than turning a knob.

6. I think the plugs are the thing. Good American plugs on a decent cord. I have an $80 cord that sounds pretty much the same as a $25 cord...and it's microphonic too!

7. I have one distortion box that I hardly ever use. I'm still looking for the perfect distortion box just in case I ever get a chance to use the Twin Reverb again.

8. I don't agree at all about light handed = weak. Alot of playing demands a light touch, and my attack changes depending on what I'm playing. I do tend to be a little heavy handed when I'm blazing away in a rock solo.

9. I don't know anything about psycho-acoustics except that if I have to turn up to get a solo or a fill or something over the band, and then they turn up because they think that I'm too loud...I will turn up again. (One time I was playing through my Silvertone Twin-Twelve and was way overpowered by the rest of the band, so I stuck my vocal mic. in front of the amp. After the song, the singer told me to "not ever do that again!" But I did; I had to. They wouldn't turn down. That's about as psycho as I get.)

10. Depends on the room and the amp. I like to turn up the amp to the point where the pickups will push it when they're almost dimed. If it's a real small room I dime the pups and turn the amp up as loud as will be allowed.

I hope this helps, and that there aren't to many typos in here because I wrote it in the Quick Reply box.
    Keep your feet warm, your strings clean, and your powder dry.