Thread: 4 Hour Drive = 9 hours

4 Hour Drive = 9 hours

[/Rant on]
    Had a couple gigs in Reno this weekend and took of from SF at 2PM to allow for weather. The drive under normal road conditions takes 4 hours so we figured leaving at 2PM would leave plenty of time.

:toobad WRONG. The drive took 9 grueling hours and we were 1.5 hours late for out show.

First delay was normal heavy Friday traffic. 3 hours to Sacramento. Shortly after SAC there was freeway metering that funneled traffic from 3 lanes down to 1 lane. That only took an additional 3 hours!

Stopped off for gas before going up te Sierras and the Freeway entrance was manned and chains were being required. The 3 of us in the van were all self acknowledged dumb asses and never put chains on. This tuned into a half-hour fracas and getting us all pissed off wet and dirty from crawliong around on the ground.

We acknowledged defeat and pulled into a GAS station to see if anyone could assist us. They told us the road crew had just moved 10 miles up the freeway!

So back on the road again we drove until we found the chain installers along side the freeway. From there on its a 30mph speed limit. On the other side of the mountains there were no crews to remove chains so we got another lesson on how to remove these. :dead

So we finally roll into the club at 11:30PM late, pissed off, hungry and beat.

Rock N' Roll

Re: 4 Hour Drive = 9 hours

Man, I feel your pain. I once was stuck in a blizzard while trying to get from Berwick, Maine to North Conway, NH (pre-cell phone days). I finally got there about an hour late, but the place was open and we rawked for the few that ventured out into the storm.
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

Re: 4 Hour Drive = 9 hours

Quote Originally Posted by funkyguitar
    Man, I feel your pain. I once was stuck in a blizzard while trying to get from Berwick, Maine to North Conway, NH (pre-cell phone days). I finally got there about an hour late, but the place was open and we rawked for the few that ventured out into the storm.
    Misery loves company. I was hoping to hear of stories like yours and am sure others here have had their share.

As it turned out we were only 1.5 hours late since there was an opening band but we were pretty frazzled when we got there. We had a few shots to take the edge off and had a decent show after all though we did loose some of the crowd after the last band had quit.