Thread: Analog compression/tone w/ digital?

Forum Member

Analog compression/tone w/ digital?

I guess you could call me an ameture (im 17 yrs old) recording engineer, meaning that i have recorded my band and two other bands that im friends with using a few condensers and a few dinamic mics into a mixer and then out to a computer. The recording has turned out pretty good but it lacks that certain something that you hear from prefessional recordings. I am trying to figure out what exactly that comething is. I dont know whether its the generally more mellow/warmer tone of them or the compression? For all i know it could be the room were recording in, because i know that has a lot to do with it, but any help, advice etc would be greatly appriciated!

Gravity Jim

Re: Analog compression/tone w/ digital?

Can we hear a sample, nabskater? Hard to recommend without a baseline... and I'm not sure that compression is the answer if you're looking for a "mellower" sound (usually meaning a reduction in the highs) or a "warmer" sound (usually meaning some harmonic distortion).

Forum Member

Yeah sorry. This is an example of my friends band that i recorded. The song is not entirely good, but i think youll be able to hear what im tlaking about.

http://www.sunsetpics.net/mean.mp3

edit: i know the drums kinda sound like butt because we had a lack of mics. But anyway.... rip it shreds :bwa

Do you record this live (all instruments at the same time)? track by track gives you way more flexibility as far as mixing, maybe you knew that though.

Placing the mikes closer to the snare, kick and toms, and then compressing the shit out of them will yield a nicer sound I think.

Also try running the bass guitar directly into the board (from the line out on the bass head, I mean).

Compress the vocals, place the mike on the guitar closer to the speaker...

I don't know if this is still available, or what the consensus on it is, but I remember years ago hearing a buddy of mine side-by-side a recording he had just done with a device called a "BBE"(?) that gave the recording wayyyyy more presence and 'breadth', if you will. Mostly used for broadcasting, I think, but maybe worth a look. Tube preamps don't hurt either.

Lastly, if you want THAT sound, buy a high quality reel to reel machine and record on that!! :yay

Correction: To clarify, by 'live' I mean all instruments at the same time, on the same track, old school style.

Forum Member

Well what ive been doing is having 8 micsgoing into the mixer from the drums and guitar, and the bass running direct like you said, but then the out to the computer. Since my mixer isnt a USB/Firewire mixer therein lies the dilema. Its basically recording it all at once. I have tried the individual tracking a few times with great results but its really hard witha full band that 1)is not used to playing a whole part all the way thru by themselves 2)more "energy" with the live way ive found. Should i try to convince them to do the multi track way?

One thing you could try is to record them all together once, save that to a track. Then have them each play individually against the track as if they were playing along with the band. Save each person's individual take to a seperate track. Rinse and repeat for each of the remaining players. When you're done, mute the original compilation track and mix the individual tracks together. That'll give you greater flexibility over the entire process, and perhaps a smoother final mix.
    POO DAT!!!

Good call, Mesotech. Otherwise known as 'scratch' tracks, I believe.

On old reel to reel machines like I was talking about, I'm pretty sure there was a way to record everything at the same time, but send individual mixer channels to seperate tracks on the machine. Is there not a way to do this with computer programs?!

There is, but you'd need a special (not stock) sound card to accept multiple inputs at the same time. I've seen them at MF, but they're quite pricey. For this band, I really think they'd benefit more from playing individually against the scratch track than trying to get everyone to play together perfectly at the same time. Plus it would help with the sparse mic issue. There doesn't seem to be enough of them to do the job justice right now, and I'm thinking more in terms of budget than convience.

I'm also thinking that a click track to begin with, piped into headphones for the drummer during the initial scratch track would help with minor timing issues later on. Since everyone will key off of the drummer during the live take, if he kept steady time it'd make the individual sessions go faster.
    POO DAT!!!

I'd just move the mike to within an inch or two ot the guitar amp and mix the the bass in more. Sounds to "ambient" to me. Our last CD is a live one off the board and it sounds OK. Don't worry about being too technical. Just good mike placement and mixing will yield the biggest gains in the short run.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Thanks guys! These suggestions are invaluable. I really like the scratch track idea. That may just be what i need. Do you tihnk moving the mics would eliminate all the air-yness to the drums?

Yes. :yay

Forum Member

Thanks guys i will definitley try and perfect my craft haha. The Gobos sound like a good idea. That wouldnt vause any kind of sound bounce back would it? And how far away should i put them? Also anybody got any quick advice on how to not get the cymbals to sound so airy? I think the overhead i used for the cymbals is picking up the other drums too and adding to the overall problem.