Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i like to play.... blues

Re: i like to play.... blues

This is all well and good guys, but the original post asked how to expand out of the pentatonics. An esoteric discussion off all things blue is good from time to time, but what we have here is simple mechanics.

Everyone in this thread is right to some degree. It's all about heart, emotion, letting out your feelings. But simply put, you can't do that without a knoweldge of the mechanics. Ok, you can, but you're going to sit in front of the stereo trying to cop certain sounds while being very frustrated for a long while.

Imagine if you will a person who cannot speak due to a lack of knowledge. The only thing they can do is show emotion. They can laugh, cry, scream, sob, sigh, etc., but that's it. How can that person say what they want to say? How can they convey their thoughts and feelings? They must learn the language. Once they've learned the language, they can more efficiently communicate. But, just because they HAVE learned to speak doesn't mean they stop using emotion as well. They still laugh, and cry, and everything else. But they can now couple those emotions with the apropriate words to convey the exact feeling. Of the two examples, the former is very limited in their ability to convey thought, while the latter has the necessary tools to convey thought and emotion at the same time.

This, I believe, is the thought OSA is expressing. It's also the part that the guys who say "blues is all about feeling" miss consistently. If you 'play the blues', and say it's 'all about feeling', and don't strive to expand your knowledge, you're letting yourself down, taking the easy way out, and are a prime example of why naysayers maintain "Blues is easy". They're right, of course. That part of blues is easy.
    Last edited by telecast; 03-11-2006 at 07:26 AM.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Wow telecast! You so elequently expressed exactly what I have not been able to say. Thank You!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    This is all well and good guys, but the original post asked how to expand out of the pentatonics.
    and that was answered early on......now we's just talkin'.
    It's all good.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Wow telecast! You so elequently expressed exactly what I have not been able to say. Thank You!
    second that.
    "Everybody's going to remember your songs, it's just that nobody's gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan (in reference to Edge's delay-ridden riffs)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne
    second that.
    I'll third that. That was good!

Vast musical vocabularies are good I believe.

So, to answer the original post, first, learn the diminished scale and then apply it on the IV chord. You'll like it. Diminished fingerings are simple repeating patterns and can be found everywhere on the net. I think you'll get the most bang for your buck from that. Should take you an hour to master at most.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Hey guys, I've been away since posting. OA, Telecast, Sliding Tom, MP, everyone is bringing something good to this thread. OA, I agree completely about backing the vocalist.

As a pure amatuer at this stuff I'm really taken by the musicians who work within the framework and intent of a song and pull different approaches out to suit. It's the language thing Telecast brought up.

I'd rather listen to an imaginative guitarist playing cool rhythm progressions and occasional leads behind a vocalist anytime, regardless of music genre. A bit off topic but that's why I admire James Honeyman-Scott and Johnny Marr's work. (The Pretenders and The Smiths for anyone not familiar)

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

TT, my fav is Mike Campbell for TP and the Heartbreakers. The guy doesn't take up a lot of space, but adds outstanding guitar hooks that support the vocals. The songs are not focused on his playing, but woudn't work without it. That's cool.

4th that!!! and:

learn the diminished scale and then apply it on the IV chord

Geeze, Chuck,

It's good to see you shining your light and sharing in your treasure trove of knowledge.

*smooch*

Makes Perfect Sense, 2 Mi
    Shine your light.

Forum Member

What Annie said, about sharing...'cause I need all the help I can get. And sometimes I just don't feel like spinning a platter 25 times until I can figure it out.
    Keep your feet warm, your strings clean, and your powder dry.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeD.
    What Annie said, about sharing...'cause I need all the help I can get. And sometimes I just don't feel like spinning a platter 25 times until I can figure it out.
    That's why, with music on CD anyway, I slow them down with the Tascam CD GT1 and loop the parts I'm interested in. I still don't know what they're doing in terms of theory but I learn that what I'm hearing and think is soo cool is quite literally, right under my fingertips. It gives me great pleasure to pull of some of the stuff I like but a week later I don't remember it, or more accurately, know when to use it. So it slips away.

At this point I'm just playing for my own enjoyment and enjoy the small victories.

OA, what you said about Mike Campbell sums it all up for me. "Not taking up much space" indeed.

Gotta go caulk a bathtub.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Mike Camble:yay :yay :yay :yay :yay :yay x1000
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.