Thread: ADVICE WANTED/EL CHEAP RECORDING DEVICES FOR PRACTICE...

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

ADVICE WANTED/EL CHEAP RECORDING DEVICES FOR PRACTICE...

Just started back a few months ago. Things are moving fast, gigs coming up this spring/summer. I wanna practice more on my own and work out parts - lead & rythmn between band practices. Thinking I want to just record the basic progressions myself (practice in itself) then work out leads and other fills whilst listening to the recording. My question is, being a total techno retard, what's the best way/device to do it? Buy something with software to use with the computer? Or, are there way cheap mini-multitrack recorders available? I was thinking I would just go straight into my tiny MP3 player (it has a line out), then play it back through the stereo. What options are out there? (without spending too much) As always , THANKS!

Re: ADVICE WANTED/EL CHEAP RECORDING DEVICES FOR PRACTICE...

If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Hey MP, what are the pros/cons of the guitar port and Pod? I'm spending a lot of time fussing with the POD trying to get something that comes close to my great amp in the living room sound.

I'm getting a little put off with the POD and am taking home an SM58 and mixer to feed my PC.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

The guitar port with riff tracker software is incredibly easy to use. My bride bought it for me for Christmas. It is so self-explanitory, that it doesn't even come with a manual. With it, you also get the guitar port and the option for full line 6 website access including tabs and lessons for an additional $7 a month. The guitar port/rifftracker combo runs around $189 I think at most places. I dig mine. However, a better option is to go garage sale shopping and look for a 4 track reel to reel recorder. I got my Teak for $5. I love making noise on that thing although the set up is quite a bit more involved...phantom powered condenser mics, mixers, etc.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Then only thing I didn't like about the Guitar Port was having to use my mouse to adjust levels instead of having real knobs to turn.

The POD is more versatile since you can use it with an amp and not just the computer. The Port is USB powered. I think they both do an excellent job.

At my level of lack of expertise, there isn't much difference between the PODs, Ports, and J-Station.

I haven't learned to do any deep level editing.
    I'm not one to chase the holy grail of tone. I twiddle knobs till it don't suck, hopefully, and run with that.

Probably not much help, but nice talkin' atcha
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

I have one of the original 8-track Korg digital recorders (D8) and now see them on eBay pretty cheap. With most of these (Korg, Fostex, Roland, etc.) you can record up to 2 inputs at once and then do multiple overdubs and such. Plenty of power for laying down some jam tracks (jamming to CD, etc.) and it leaves your PC free for other things.
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain