Thread: what do you think of this live PA package?

Forum Member

what do you think of this live PA package?

i mainly bought this for practicing with the band as well as using the board for recording (it has 99 effects built in). for live shows i figure the house PA would be used and this system could be used to power/tweak the stage monitors. thoughts on the quality/value? i am new to PA stuff (aside from renting in the past).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ems?sku=631255

:blbros

Forum Member

Re: what do you think of this live PA package?

I haven't heard a real lot of good about Behringer. It seems that they steal others designs and then make cheap copies that sell cheap. (I'm just passing this along) I hear their products do the job but have reliability issues.

About the things I do know, many manufacturers through numbers around to make things sound better than they are. Most 1-15" and horn speakers are rated at 8ohms. Most bands use this type of speaker. The amp is rated at 2 X 400 watts at 4ohm. With an 8ohm load you are actually cutting the wattage in half. So you are really getting about 200 watts per channel and NOT 400 watts.

Amps are also rated with watts at a certain THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) The manufacturers can put up BIGGER numbers in watts with a higher THD number which could translate to a lower wattage number in reality. (example: 400 watts @ 4ohm at .3% THD or 325 watts @ 4ohm at .01% THD ) I don't see a THD rating for this board and have no idea how well it will perform live. This power seems to be about what many bands use around here and it is adequate for the most part. But I emphasize "adequate". I would like to see better PA's with most bands I see.

99 effects for a board??? You'll probably find a good delay with a little reverb that will be let alone. (( is just a number to get you all excited. (seems like it worked) If there is a house system chances are it will have monitors too and they will not want you to mix your stuff with the house stuff. Most places I play or go to don't have a house system. I

The microphones are $19 mics. I can't imagine much of a mic for that price.

The speakers seem to be a match powerwise to the amp.

All in all probably a decent PA for practice. I would not expect much at a live performance. You pretty much get what you pay for.

I think if you stay at this you will find that you need to upgrad. This might have been a better place to start.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ems?sku=630119