Thread: Another J-station question

Forum Member

Another J-station question

I know a few of us use the J-station, I'm trying to figure out a better way to get sound from it into the computer. Appologies if this isn't the right area to post.

I think Fezz does it similar to the way I do it, ie...1/8" mic jack, only I don't use a mixer between the J-station and computer. Do any of you other users know about an alternate way to record? I can't seem to get much more than a muddy sound when recording and suspect I'm losing sound quality going to 1/8" input.

The guy at the big name guitar superstore (wink) told me I need a recording/modeling interface....for only $199. Do you guys know anything about the S/PDIF port? I'm sure it's there for a reason, is there a way to use this port for recording?

Re: Another J-station question

S/PDIF is a digital in. However, as Gravity Jim and Fezz metioned in an earlier thread, you're synching your recordings to the inexpensive clock in your J Station, and not your recorder. You're better off going direct.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Sorry, I think that just went over my head. You mean I'm better off going 1/4" out to 1/8" adpter to mic jack?

S/PDIF looks like a regular old RCA/analog stereo input, but it's looking for a digital signal.

Use the line out from the J-Station, and use an inexpensive mixer to set the levels. Fezz or Jim could tell you more.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Thunder,

Fezz explains that configuration in the Podxt thread, post #4 of this section.:yay

Before I used the mixer, I just used a 1/8" jack to RCA cord. Same thing you get with your computer. I then got RCA to 1/4" adapters and stuck them on the ends of the RCA side... In fact I still use that cord to go from my mixer to my Aux in on my laptop...

Like this cable: http://www.sandlpro.com/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=6520
    and these converters
    http://www.sandlpro.com/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=2047

You can get this stuff a Radio Shack.

I might add you have to go in the Aux input, not the Mic input. It will be distorted if you try to put it in the mic input.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Ahhhh... I think see the problem...I don't have an AUX input on my laptop, just mic input. I guess that would explain part of the problem. Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of experimenting with that and making a Stereo L pad to get around that. I have the resistors, all I need are RCA jacks and a little box to put it in.

The Lpad circuit is pretty easy, positive goes through a 10K ohm resistor, and the ground goes straight through with a tap after the resistor on the + side that goes through a 100 ohm resister to the ground.

repeat that twice, and you have it in stereo...
    Photoweborama

Get a stereo 1/8" plug with the 2 RCA jacks on the other end. Then, get 2 short RCA-to-1/4" cables and plug these from the outputs on the j-station to the RCA jacks, then plug the 1/8" plug into the mic jack on your laptop. That should work. Otherwise, for about $50, you could get a small mixer.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Will that work?

The J-Station and other devices put out line level output, but the Mic input is expecting a Mic level input.

Line level is about .2 to .5V and the Mic level is in the Millivolts.

I've been confused on this for some time. I've been trying to get the time make a box and test this out.
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

I'll give the stereo jack idea a try, I wasn't aware that the mic jack is a stereo input.

I'm just an unfrozen caveman guitar player, so I couldn't tell you what line level or mic level inputs are. Heck, I didn't even know there was a difference. But what I do know is I can get sound into the computer through the mic jack, I just turn down the master vol on the j-station using my recording software's VU meter. Which just now brings an idea into my 90 IQ brain.

The recorded sound is muddy, for lack of a better term. No matter how I futz with bass, treble, mid knobs, it sounds like it needs more treble with any amp model I use. Since you don't really have very fine control over the master vol, I usually set the VU to just below the yellow. Maybe the input signal is too low. If that's the case, a small mixer should allow me to fine tune the input level so it's just in the yellow on the VU. Does that make sense, might that get rid of the mud?

Anyway, at the end of the day, I might just break down and buy a USB interface. Seems like that would simplify my setup among other things.

And BTW...what in the heck is the S/PDIF port for? No one I talk to seems to know.

Actually, I don't know, come to think of it, whether the mic input would be stereo. I'm surprised that there isn't a stereo line input on there somewhere. Perhaps you should get one of those firewire mic preamps.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

That's what I was thinking. I think I can get one on Flea Bay for about $50.

I'm going to build a box this weekend to test this. Radio Shack had a closeout on boxes.. .99 each. I bought their whole stock.. well, 4 of them at lest. The RCA panel mount jacks were about 3.00, and the resistors, about a dollar max... so If it works, I'll sell you the box at cost for $5.00 in parts....

I'm 99.9% sure the mic input is Stereo. What brand and model laptop do you have?
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

It's a Compaq Presario 700, kind of old but I only use it for music. Let me know if the box works and if you think it will work on my computer. $5.00 sounds like a good deal to me, email me or let me know here..Thanks