Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: favorite amp from fender?

Forum Member
    The little tone monster, Champ! At least in the house anyway.

Forum Member
    My '65 R.I. Twin is my favorite (especially when I need the horsepower).

My dingy-lookin' SF Champ is a tone-monster, though. Absolutely terrific tone from a LP into a FD2 and a Fat-Boost and a Fender Reverb unit, then into the Champ. Huge tone.

Forum Member
    Hard to pick just one, there's several excellent ones. I have 6 old Fenders.

Hard to beat a 60 tweed Bassman (with P10Q speakers). Tweed Pros (narrow panel) sound great as well. But then so does the BF Vibroverb. And the BFSR.

I guess it depends on the application.

Forum Member
    While I like all old Fenders, I've gotta say that right now my fav is a 10 watt Champ 12. Nice clean tone but a killer overdrive channel. I also like a Pro Jr.
    shakin' the bush, boss

'63 pre-CBS Bassman!

O.K., I'll admit it damnit! I love the clean channel on my Hot Rod Deville (DUCK!). :lol2

My ;54 Tweed Deluxe with a Weber California 12 is a real smoker, and now I'm diggin my new (!) Brown Princeton with a 12" Tone Tubby in it...! (Thanks, Alley Cat...!)
    Regards, Dave Orban

Forum Member
    My 65 super reverb RI.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Ed Rafalko
    Aw, man! Fender makes AMPS too?! Since WHEN?!
    Ok Ed, it's time to come out from behind the couch....I know yer back there eatin' a peanut butter and jelly...come on, come on outa there boy....:lolspin :edscouch
    1968 SFDR.....
    Play it Loud,
    GFM

I use my tweed (5E3) Deluxe more than anything, primarily for volume reasons, but I love that tube-rectified tone.

On paper (and because it's what Alex Chilton supposedly used on Radio City ) I like the '59 Bassman and the BF Super Reverb, but I've never had a chance to play through either one.
    5E3 Deluxe, '74 hardtail, Strat XII, many copies.

Forum Member
    Hey Burst, good to see you; Scott P. just sent me the link to this forum last night.

Favorite Fender amp(s)? Of the ones I've had I'd have to say tube rectified Pro Reverb. Of the ones I haven't had it would be a '59 Bassman (specifiaclly Scott Pearson's).

I'm ashamed to admit that I own no Fender amps at the present

1962 Princeton!!! I gigged with it last night in a small room and it kills. Also have a 68 Princeton Reverb and a 65 VChamp. I love old fender amps!

Forum Member
    I'm really digging my Blues DeVille. Not as upscale as a Super Reverb but more earthy and ballsy. It's not as lush as my Bassbreaker but it get's close and also has reverb. It's louder too.

Forum Member
    "O.K., I'll admit it damnit! I love the clean channel on my Hot Rod Deville (DUCK!)."

I have one also and love the clean channel. Don't care for the dirt channel thou.

Michael

Forum Member
    63 reissue vibroverb

the brown Pro. I have one- it's my favorite amp. I like the old brown Fenders best.

Forum Member
    any fender amp that will stay nice and shimmery clean with decent volume,,then, slowly gets smooth and compressed thick distortion with out blowing you out of the room and is still loud enough to cut through.......that is what i want in a fender(i own brownfacers and real early tweeds).......jcs

Forum Member
    Deluxe Reverb.

Blackface Deluxe Reverb is my #1 all round choice, but I used to have a '58 tweed Deluxe and a Tele or a LP Junior into that amp turned up to about 9...have mercy, it was a beautiful thing indeed.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I'm a Bassman fan. Great amps, very articulate, big balls, they've got it all! :bigal
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member

DeLuxe

I love my '72 DeLuxe Reverb but would probably love about any older Fender amp. Just can't afford but so much equipment.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Pickdropper
    I have a BF Super Reverb and a BF Vibrolux Reverb. I'd have to say that the Super is my fav.

Me, too. My Super is a '66, factory loaded with JBLs. I haven't dated the Vibrolux, but I put two MojoTOnes in it and it sounds great. Obviously a lot different sound and feel than the Super.

If I had to choose, one, I'd pick the Vibrolux. It's so versatile, within reason of course.

I sometimes I set on top of a 1X12 extension with an 8 Ohm 200W Mesa Black Shadow, so 2 10s and 1 12", that rig sounds BIG.

Ken

Forum Member

DYLUMPH

64 bf pro with 15" jenson. The best guitar amp I ever heard at low (studio) volume.

Forum Member
    A Super Reverb with JBLs!!!! OUCH my achin' back. How much does that thing weigh? You have a roadie? My Twin with JBLs is bad enough. Holy smokes!!!

My all time favorite is my '66 Super Reverb. Can't get enough of it!!! :smokin

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Tremo
    A Super Reverb with JBLs!!!! OUCH my achin' back. How much does that thing weigh? You have a roadie? My Twin with JBLs is bad enough. Holy smokes!!!
    I bought it used from Guitar Center. The guy who had it traded it in for exactly that reason. He traded it for a RI deluxe and some cash too, hopefully. It has to be about 100 lbs., but I couldn't pass it up.

It doesn't get out of the house much, but damn does it record clean tones well.

Speaking of which, that's all it records well. Those JBLs just do not like distortion, whether it comes from the amp or a pedal or a combination of the two.

How does your twin do with OD tones?

Ken

Forum Member
    Blondes, Followed by Brown Tolex.

Forum Member
    Stratton, I had some old JBL 130s from a old twin laying around so I put them in an old 2x12 cabinet and tried them with a Hot Rod Deluxe. They sound great clean but the overdrive is touchy. Just a little drive makes them break-up kind of bluesy with good sustain. Any more and the thing sounds like a fuzz box. They damn sure haven't got any lighter sitting around for thirty years!

Forum Member
    So far I haven't found any kind of OD that works with the JBLs, but there seems to be a point, with the amp turned up to about 5-6, that a nice compression occurs. Seems that at just that point, where other speakers might break up a little bit, the JBLs keep their composure, stay clean, and allow the amp to compress. Sounds very cool.

I almost want to have two 4X10 cabs for the amp, one with Jensens in it too, for the OD/breakup sound Supers do so well at 6-7, and higher.

Ken

Forum Member
    my 2 faves are my Blackface Showman
    and the Blackfaced Twin Reverb

Forum Member
    For gigging it is a tie between my 72 vibrolux and my 71 deluxe reverb ( with a weber C12N and 6l6's!). I took the resistors off of the #2 imputs on my vibrolux so i can use them as an out to the deluxe. Good projection if you put the deluxe on top of the vibrolux.

fender twin hands down my favorite

Forum Member
    Yo Stratton,

The Twin with JBLs is a CLEAN machine. LOUD and CLEAN. There is some compression from the JBLs since they are alnico and the thing is good for 80+ Watts. The power supply is overfiltered so there is very little sag in the amp. It's kind of stiff and touchy when it comes to overdrive, plus it has those Philips 7581A output tubes. It's for outdoor use only, I wanted an amp that was as loud as possible. For indoor gigs, I use a smaller amp with tube rectifier and Webers.

I never use pedals, I don't like 'em.

Mine's actually a Victoria, but the Tweed Bandmaster. The blues tone on those beauties is pure heaven.

Last edited by mountain blues; 08-05-2002 at 07:06 PM.
    'My art and profession is to live.' Michel de Montaigne

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Tremo
    Yo Stratton,

The Twin with JBLs is a CLEAN machine. LOUD and CLEAN. There is some compression from the JBLs since they are alnico and the thing is good for 80+ Watts. The power supply is overfiltered so there is very little sag in the amp. It's kind of stiff and touchy when it comes to overdrive, plus it has those Philips 7581A output tubes. It's for outdoor use only, I wanted an amp that was as loud as possible. For indoor gigs, I use a smaller amp with tube rectifier and Webers.

I never use pedals, I don't like 'em.
    Hey Tremo, what kind of music do you use the Twin for?

I LOVE my new CyberTwin.

Forum Member
    My favorite is an old Silverface Deluxe Reverb. I don't play out often, and when I do it's in small venues. The DR is just about perfect for what I need.
    Just scratchin' some blues on this ol' guitar.