Thread: What does it mean when I get ...

What does it mean when I get ...

blown away with a guitarist's playing and after hearing the songs a few times then looping sections to play along I can nail them easily?

But I couldn't think up the licks or his approach to the song for myself in a million years?

I'm not boasting at all but it's just odd. Sort of an "if I can do it, why can't I do it?" situation.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: What does it mean when I get ...

Eventually you build enough of a vocabulary by nailing others' licks that your brain will make that next leap to dissecting them and reassembling them while you solo. It's all part of the process. There are actually very few musical guitarists out there whose licks you can't play once you listen and work them out--even the greats.

They aren't doing anything really "new" either, just absorbing and reassembling what they've learned over the years in their own way. You can't play like Hendrix by learning every Hendrix lick. You have to absorb the music and musicians he absorbed and put it together the same way. (Impossible, so don't try).

However, by absorbing Hendrix and all the other musicians you love, you'll eventually put out a combination of all of that in your own way.

I didn't really answer your question, but that's only because you didn't really ask one.

Respect my authori-tay!

Good idea Fezz and good insight pc. It's definetly a deep bag of licks or a broad vocabulary I'm finding is the key. It's just not the same ol standard blues patterns over the 12 bar I-IV-V but lots of soulful licks with what are to me, very vocal qualities. Hard to explain. Fezz knows the guitarist I'm talking about, Dave Melton. Not your average bear.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Put up a rhythm track. Sing along with it, humming or whatever. Play what you sang. In other words, make up a melody, them embellish it with some of your favorite licks.:yay
    You're talking about "composing" away from the guitar?

I've read where Richard Thompson, for one, does (did) this.

I'm trying this with the batch of songs I'm working on. It's really challenging. The song (the playing, in TT's case) exists, THEN you have to learn how to play it.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Melody 'swhere its at. Licks are just... licks.

'Cept for rhythm, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by TT100
    after hearing the songs a few times then looping sections to play along I can nail them easily? But I couldn't think up the licks or his approach to the song for myself in a million years?
    It means you're a parrot. A complete moron without a single artistic bone in your body.

Your style and licks are based on everyone else's, and you couldn't come up with anything new to save your sorry ass.

Seriously, take the advice given above. I also find that noodling around is a great way to find 'new' things, but you have to be concious of the fact that you're LOOKING for something new while noodling. Record your noodling and play it back, listen for a phrase or riff that stands out. It'll usually catch you off-guard, you'll think: "Whoa, was that ME?" Then you're on to something.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    It means you're a parrot. A complete moron without a single artistic bone in your body.

Your style and licks are based on everyone else's, and you couldn't come up with anything new to save your sorry ass.

Seriously, take the advice given above. I also find that noodling around is a great way to find 'new' things, but you have to be concious of the fact that you're LOOKING for something new while noodling. Record your noodling and play it back, listen for a phrase or riff that stands out. It'll usually catch you off-guard, you'll think: "Whoa, was that ME?" Then you're on to something.
    Gee. I was hoping it meant I had some aptitude for keenly parsing the nuances of a great player. ;)

I do record myself occasionally and especially if I run to the guitar to play out a mental phrase. Problem is, when I pull it out of the grey matter and apply it to the fretboard, it really wasn't anything new.

I'd be very happy if my style and chops were similar to someone I admire!

All in good fun. I'm having a ball.

On SmartPhones:

Quote Originally Posted by TT100
    Problem is, when I pull it out of the grey matter and apply it to the fretboard, it really wasn't anything new.
    Go back and re-read pc's post:

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    They aren't doing anything really "new" either, just absorbing and reassembling what they've learned over the years in their own way.
    There really isn't anything new. There are 12 notes, that's it. The newness has to some from style, feel, phrasing, emphasis, and application. That's where the artistry comes in. I suck at it, yet somehow over a period of years I've developed a style, some licks that I tend to gravitate to and modify, and a sound. I mean, if I heard myself on a recording, I'd know it was me. It's certainly not one of the great guitar tones of all time, but it's me and it's all I got!
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

This'll sound a little trite (especially after my flip response above). But fooling around in the JamZone here and across the hall has been just a tremendous experience for me, and has made more difference in my guitar playing ability and my ears than anything I've done in 25 years.

Its instant exposure to a whole lot of styles that I don't normally listen to (or at least play along to when I'm jamming alone), and there's continuous positive feedback whether you suck or not. Which is highly motivating

Approaching each track you want to tackle blind (i.e. without listening to the other fellas first) gives you a chance to work through things like finding a melody, and the elements of a style that's true to the track. It's a challenge, with built-in rewards. But its also a wonderful learning experience to hear how others "solve" the "problem" presented by the track: What is this? What might sound good? Where's the groove? Can I hear one? Can I play it? Can I record something and tweak it so it works? The beautiful thing is that there are as many answers as there are players, even when you think the solution is obvious or feel like yours is filled with cliches.

Before diving into the 'Zones, I had never really recorded anything (other than parking a cassette deck on a coffee table) and my "skill" level in that regard has grown by leaps and bounds (as has my admiration for the pros and the amateurs who do it really well) but... the best part is how it has changed my ears. It's built a focused attention to the details of a sonic landscape in me. See, I can't really create much of one myself so I'm really just talking about heightened curiosity and serious listening. But now I'm hearing the elements, the phrasing everywhere instead of just randomly spotting a key or a scale or a lick. And that's a tremendous gift that will pay a lifelong dividend. I'm also, most of the time, playing with cleaner tone than I ever have in my life. And that's good too.

The "no copyrighted songs" rule is great, since everything is a fresh tabula rasa and there are no "wrong answers". Who needs to hear 25 guys play Little Wing anyway?

(oops... bad example...)

Anyway... it's been a while since that "I'm almost ready" thread. C'mon in!

Quote Originally Posted by clayville
    This'll sound a little trite (especially after my flip response above). But fooling around in the JamZone here and across the hall has been just a tremendous experience for me, and has made more difference in my guitar playing ability and my ears than anything I've done in 25 years.

Its instant exposure to a whole lot of styles that I don't normally listen to (or at least play along to when I'm jamming alone), and there's continuous positive feedback whether you suck or not. Which is highly motivating

Anyway... it's been a while since that "I'm almost ready" thread. C'mon in!
    I hear you. No excuses but I'll get there asap. Getting a house ready to sell, looking for another, visiting churches and different schools for our kids after the move are taking precedence.

Don't wait on me, I'll catch up.

TT
    On SmartPhones: