Thread: New & Old Amps

Forum Member

New & Old Amps

It seems to me that most think that the older the better on Fender and Marshall amps. I know about the build quality issue.
    I have a new Custom Vibolux that sounds great to me, (and a few others around here). I also have the dreaded DSL 100 which also suits my needs very well.
    In the late 70's/ early 80's you coundn't give hardly give away a Marshall without a master volume. Is it because they are old now?
    I have less knowledge about the Fenders but think they have always sound good.
    I don't like all of the new Marshalls. Could it be partly the old ones are completly broken in?
    Last edited by jba900; 07-26-2002 at 11:50 PM.

Forum Member
    I use and love my BFDR reissue, I had to do some changes to really make it sing, but now it`s great!
    You basically need to buy some better tubes for it, and I also had to change some power resistors internally , but mine is pretty old , so they have probaly done this to it now.

The old ones DO sound better, when in great shape, no argument to that. But it`s a lot more expensive to build an amp like that, I guess the price would have doubled, if they made them the "old" way.

Amund

Forum Member

"Older Is Better" :y

There certainly are some excellent new amps being built out there today but for me, I switched to all vintage 60's amp years back. While I've had BF BMs, PR, Bandmaster; at present it's Vox AC30s and Marshall Plexis.

I do have one new amp called a Plexi 20. It's a handbuilt Marshall 20w Plexi clone w/ larger trannies and an 18w voicing. They're made by Dennis Cornell (UK) and the one I have is one of his prototype. This amp is a little package of versatile tonal dynamite.
    Last edited by nickcha; 07-27-2002 at 11:14 AM.

Forum Member
    I do think the older Marshalls sound a lot better, how much difference with the old Fenders?
    This is my first Fender, but have owned a lot of Marshalls.

Forum Member
    I`m a tube amp player. As far as a reissue vs. original comparison, I think that the reissue amps sound pretty good, but a properly maintained vintage version of the reissues usually sounds better. There`s always exceptions to the rule, but generally I think an original usually sounds sweeter and is not as bright sounding. That being said, there are also many "new" or "boutique" amps being made today that are as good as any made at any time, IMO. I think that the new Custom Shop VibroKing, Dual Professional, Tone Master, and the production line Custom Vibrolux Reverb sound as good as any "old" amp. As I stated in the beginning of my post, I`m talking from a tube amp lover`s point of view.

Forum Member
    Ive been playing my DSL all day and am not thrilled anymore with the sound. Sumpin aint right!
    I always loved my JMP 50's.

Forum Member
    Hey where can I get my hands on that plexi clone...and how much????

Trent

I think pretty much the deal with the older Marshalls sounding better has to do with the design change that took place in '81. I've heard that when Marshall first switched to the JCM series, the only thing they changed were the cosmetics. In other words, they kept the JMP guts and put a JCM chasis and cabinet on the head. I completely disagree, I've had 5 mid-late 70's Marshalls, and they all sounded completely different from ANY JCM series amp. I personally feel there's a little sweeter gain on either the JMP 6550 or EL34 equipped amps than there are on the JCM series amps.

Am I alone on this? Any other opinions?
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Forum Member
    Trents111,

I EM'd you about the Plexi 20.

Thanks,
    Nick

Forum Member
    Hey Nick, welcome to the forum! I was the dude emailing you for vox advice and information awhile back about that ac30 for sale in the UK. Randall Aiken's Invader is also supposed to be great little amp as are the Cornford products. One of my favorite amps is my trusty Marshall Studio 15. The 6V6's sound so "right" in that circuit.

Forum Member
    LHakim -

Hi, what ever happened with that AC30?

Forum Member
    davey, I totally agree, I tried the first JCM 800 and did not like it all next to my JMP.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by nickcha
    LHakim -

Hi, what ever happened with that AC30?
    Nick, I decided to pass on it. The guy who did buy it posted on the plexi palace board. Apparently he really enjoys it although the shipping company managed to crush one of its original Vox Blues.

Right now I'm on the prowl for a *players* condition ac15 or ac10.

BTW, can the channels be jumpered on your Plexi 20 prototype?

Forum Member
    LHakim,

Absolutely, the chs operate just like the original. Although, this thing has so much gain as you dial up (particularly the 2nd ch.

<<the shipping company managed to crush one of its original Vox Blues.>>

Gasp!!! Whew...I'm OK, now....