Thread: Help recommend high wattage 12" speaker

Help recommend high wattage 12" speaker

I have a non Fender 1-12 combo amp with 4 6L6 power tubes and 4 12ax7 preamp tubes. It's rated at 100 Watts with a 60 Watt switch (which drives only two of the power tubes instead of all 4). Yes, that's right, it's an old Mesa MKIIc.

Right now the thing has a Pyle Driver 12" in it, and sounds very midrangy compared to my Blues Deluxe. The cleans are nice, but lack the sparkle of the Fender. When cranked, the speaker gets flabby. I've had this amp for years, but am not the original owner, and I know this isn't the stock speaker either (at least I hope it's not).

For low volumes, I've tested some other speakers (didn't want to blow them) and know the problem is definately speaker related. With the Eminence from the Deluxe, the high end sparkle is there, and higher gain/low volume settings are smooth and creamy. Yet if I were to crank this amp with that speaker, it'd most likely turn it to smoke. I've also plugged in a Celestion 30W, which sounded 'different' yet not bad. Again, 100 W into a 30W speaker is definately not something I'd want to try. Finally, I've plugged the amp into a mid 70's Peavy Renown with 2-12's. This configuration can handle the power, but the Peavy Spiders were definately not the right speakers.

So who makes a single 12" speaker that can handle 100 Watts, and still sound "Fendery"?
    ________
    OG KUSH
    Last edited by Mesotech; 03-24-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Re: Help recommend high wattage 12" speaker

EVM 12L

The EVM 12L (rated at 300W) appears to be discontinued, but recommended replacements are the Eminence Delta 12A (400W) and Weber Michigan (60W). From reviews, the Eminence seems more of a direct replacement with very similar sonic characteristics. The Weber sounds warmer (most likely due to the lower wattage causing breakup sooner). Also the Weber is AlNico with a Ceramic boost. How does that factor?

Any preferences or dislikes about either of these?
    POO DAT!!!

Forum Member

EV just announced the EVM 12L at NAMM:

http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrov...25710600798EF4

That's too bad. The EVM was great speaker for heavy duty applications.

The last data I found was a press release from last year's NAMM where they were announcing the 300 watt version of a Zack Wylde signature model.

For replacement in power handling and similar clean sound I'd say to find a JBL.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Eminence makes some nice high power speakers. The V12 is a 120 watt-er. I have the V128, the 80 watt version. But to my ear this speaker is more of a low end master, sort of a smoother V30, not the high end sparklemeister you seem to want. One of their Patriot line like the Red, White & Blues (also 120 watts) might be better for that...

Edit - Weber's Thames (ceramic 80 watt) also a fine choice.

It seems that the original EVM 12L was discontinued, but was replaced by the EVM 12L Black Label (Zakk Wylde) speaker. According to the blurb, there's a few differences, but it's essentially the same speaker. So far the only place I've located that actually says they have any is SamAsh. Based on what I've seen of the old pricing vs. the new price, it's almost doubled. Is that what endorsements do?
    POO DAT!!!

Follow Gris's advice and go with a Red, White, and Blues.

(And then get back to us and let us know if that rating is for real.)*

Forum Member

You can get used EV12Ls all the time on ebay. Try and get the 200 Watt! They are the best speakers for those amps.

Its too bad EV couldn't just reissue the damn thing. It pisses me off that they felt compelled to put that tasteless hacks name on it. Its a freaking guitar speaker! When are these rediculous endorsements gonna stop.

Forum Member

Keep your amp stock and get these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Blac...QQcmdZViewItem

Forum Member

I have the 200watt version EV12L speaker. I find the speaker to work great if you want a tone that is loud and clear with muscle and punch. You get all 4 of those adj in both clean and gain settings. Nice amp BTW! I would love to own an "old" Mesa amp any day of the week. Does your mesa amp have a presence control? The lack of one could be part of the puzzle.