Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bass for a guitar player?

Re: A bass for a guitar player?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim
    "Soylent Green is NAUGA!!!!!"
    Yep. Betcha didn't know that the Nauga is only found in one lone river valley. Yet it's not endangered.

Just in case you were wondering what kind of food they serve at the Beacon Falls jams. :lol

If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Kap'n, I never connected the dots there.
    Makes perfect sense.

Luckily, they aren't as universally useful as, say, hemp, or soybeans, or dare I say it(?)... switchgrass,...

or I might have to whip up some "Save the Nauga" ribbon magnets.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

No Phil I got it at Daddy's Junky Music not the Hog
    Ray

I bought my bass after trying a few. I tried a USA Highway 1 that I thought was a total dog and a lot more money and a couple MIMs. Also tried the '62 RI USA and it was nice, but I just can't spend that kind of money on a bass. I chose a new MIM Fender Precision in dark maroon metallic with white pickguard. I wish I could've bought the Ampeg combo I was trying it out through. It had this cool 5 way selector for different sounds in addition to the usual tone controls.

Anyway, I know you can damage a guitar amp with a bass if you're up too high. Do you think I could use the bass at very low volume and in the low input with any of these amps?:

Rivera K-55 with Soldano 2x12
    '65 Fender Bandmaster with Soldano 2x12
    Early '60s Ampeg M-15 (it's a guitar amp, but it does have a 15" speaker)

Nice Purchase. Feel no regret, don't look back.....
    There is a reason that many people have them! They're just damn good basses.

The rig can always come later.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Thanks, Frank. I'm sure there are better MIMs, but I took the one that felt best of the few I played. Like with Strats, I found the USA '62 RI to be superior to the Mexican version, but that's to be expected. I loved the color too, and I can't lie that I'm often affected by aesthetics. Feels weird to have played guitar voraciously every day for 14 years and am just now getting a bass.

Congratulations, Phil! I know there are a lot of low price basses out there, but I shore am glad you got a Fender. I am glad you took people's advice and bought the one that felt good to play.I think that's the most importand part.
    Of course it doesn't hurt if she's a beaut.
    Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.

Hey Dewferd
    'sup?
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie
    Hey Dewferd
    'sup?
    Just hangin out watchin the grandbaby. Billy Montana and Matt Foy are painting the dining room. In their spare time, of course. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    Anyway, I know you can damage a guitar amp with a bass if you're up too high. Do you think I could use the bass at very low volume and in the low input with any of these amps?:

Rivera K-55 with Soldano 2x12
    '65 Fender Bandmaster with Soldano 2x12
    Early '60s Ampeg M-15 (it's a guitar amp, but it does have a 15" speaker)
    Any of those amps will be fine as long as you keep it to bedroom levels. It'll be a speaker you blow out at high volume anyway, not the amp itself.

A nice bass really does need a nice bass amp tho. Humour me, and check out a Roland Cube-30 if you get a chance. It's got classic amp/cab emulations from Bassman to Trace Eliot. A real array of surprisingly great bass sounds, imho. Just a cool little box of great fun!

Looks like a solid choice of bass, BTW. Who can argue with the choice of a MIM Precision?

-Mark

The old Ampeg sounds really cool. Old school and almost a little overdriven. I dig that one. It starts fartin' as you turn up, but that amp has been in need of TLC for awhile now.

My fingers hurt. A lot.

My fingers hurt. A lot.
    !!!??? Which hand? The left hand finger shouldn't be hurting much (if at all) if the bass is reasonably set-up and you've got normal guitarist finger strength in the left hand.

If your right hand fingers hurt from playing slap or other finger based technique, go carefully... you can really end up damaging the thumb knuckle, for example, if you keep hammering away on it. If the fingers on your right hand hurt from playing a finger style, you might want to try turning up the volume, and playing with a lighter touch. Requires more control, but that's where you want to be in the end, anyway.

And mix it up playing with a pick. It's all good! :)

-Mark

Good right hand technique can save your fingers, nad give you a wider range of tones.

Try to play from the side of your picking fingers to tug the string and let it go. (borrowed from upright technique).

Left hand will hurt because, even with a good setup, the strings are bigger and effect the "meat" of your fingers more. It gets easy after a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko
    Left hand will hurt because, even with a good setup, the strings are bigger and effect the "meat" of your fingers more. It gets easy after a couple of weeks.
    I've never found this. My left hand fingers have never hurt after playing a decently set-up bass... I can play for hours and not get tired. And I don't play bass all the time, or even that often. One of those YMMV things I guess...

-Mark

yep. You are a lucky one.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    !!!??? Which hand? The left hand finger shouldn't be hurting much (if at all) if the bass is reasonably set-up and you've got normal guitarist finger strength in the left hand.

If your right hand fingers hurt from playing slap or other finger based technique, go carefully... you can really end up damaging the thumb knuckle, for example, if you keep hammering away on it. If the fingers on your right hand hurt from playing a finger style, you might want to try turning up the volume, and playing with a lighter touch. Requires more control, but that's where you want to be in the end, anyway.

And mix it up playing with a pick. It's all good! :)

-Mark
    I've played guitar every day for 15 years, so I'm sure I have normal guitarist finger strength. Perhaps it is the set up. Honestly, I also think I was pressing too hard at first to wrench additional sound out of the bass. Turning up the volume in relation to the track, in addition to practicing has already helped tremendously. I can only play with a pick right now, but I've already got some cool driving lines for our songs, which was the real reason for getting the bass in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko

Yup, this is what it was. A couple of my left hand fingers were killing me from fretting, but this is already beginning to improve.

Gravity Jim

To elaborate on Plugger's comments... One thing I found about my own bass playing, as I moved from being a-guitar-player-who-sorta-plays-bass into being more of an actual bass player:

Guitar players tend to play hard and go harder as they increase energy levels. The velocity range in which bass players play (to get a good tone while still leaving room for dynamics) is WAY lower than guitar. You get a really huge, round tone by playing easy and gently, and when you "dig in" you're still not overplaying the instrument at all. The Point Of Diminishing Returns is reached very quickly on a bass guitar... doesn't take long before your increased velocity starts detracting from your tone and your volume.

The trick bass players know is how to increase energy by what they play, not by playing harder.

Guitar players tend to play hard and go harder as they increase energy levels. The velocity range in which bass players play (to get a good tone while still leaving room for dynamics) is WAY lower than guitar. You get a really huge, round tone by playing easy and gently, and when you "dig in" you're still not overplaying the instrument at all. The Point Of Diminishing Returns is reached very quickly on a bass guitar... doesn't take long before your increased velocity starts detracting from your tone and your volume.

The trick bass players know is how to increase energy by what they play, not by playing harder.
    So true, and exactly what I've been learning. For example, now I come up with variations on the same part to increase the "drive" factor. Digging in was not working, but changing from quarter notes to eight notes (for example) does the trick.

I'm scared. I'm starting to like bass.

Gravity Jim

Oh, I'm right with you, Phil. I LOVE playing bass (although I don't have the sa,e kind of facility I may have on guitar or keys) for that very reason. It's also extremely musical, because finding just the right note can transform what the band is doing from "yawn" to "wow!"

In fact, if I were to join a band right now, I'd like to the bass player in a band with a great looking female singer who made flirting me with part of her stage business. :)

I'm asked to fill in for bass players fairly frequently. One current band I'm playing with, I started on bass and when the other guitarist was asked to leave, I moved to guitar.

Playing bass is very different. I like to tell myself that I play like a bass player.

I've been complimented by bass players, who didn't know I was a guitar player mainly.

It can happen. There is no shame in playing bass.

Cool. Don't know if I'll ever be a bassist in a performing band, but it's definitely moving along. I can't wait until Wed. so that I can hear the recorded results.

In fact, if I were to join a band right now, I'd like to the bass player in a band with a great looking female singer who made flirting me with part of her stage business. :)

Not fair, bass players have all the fun...

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

So true, and exactly what I've been learning. For example, now I come up with variations on the same part to increase the "drive" factor. Digging in was not working, but changing from quarter notes to eight notes (for example) does the trick.

You go boy! We might just turn you to the Bass side. "Luke, it's your Density." ;)

Since you are playing with a pick, if you want to do 8ths and 16ths, you should use what they call "the alternate picking method, where you pick the note on every upstroke and every downstroke of your hand. It doubles the beat with half the work.

Also, be sure to groove in the pocket with your drummer. You and him/her need to be like a single functioning unit, the foundation that everybody else builds on top of.

To some degree, it is the bass that really determines the "feel" or "drive" or "groove" of a song. Everybody else can play exactly the same thing, and if you change the style you are playing, it will make the song entirely different.
    Keep up the good work! :ahem

You go boy! We might just turn you to the Bass side. "Luke, it's your density".
    Keep up the good work!

Sorry about the double post. It's like having Deja Vu all over again. :toobad

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender
    You go boy! We might just turn you to the Bass side. "Luke, it's your density".
    Keep up the good work!
    Maybe someday. As long as I was playing guitar in one band, I think it would be fun to play bass in a different one. Or Maybe switch on and off?

I saw a picture last week week of Berry Oakley. Does he use a pick?

Great info here! I bought an Epi Les Paul bass to record with my M-Box. The bass parts are where I get to have fun during recording sessions! I have a blast with them. Might I suggest the Sansamp Bass DI pedal to record direct? A wide range of great sounds!

Hey Edward! I have not been around the LP Forum much and recently was wondering what ever happened to you. Good to see you still around, and it looks like you're even in the same band.

I have a lot of fun playing my P-bass for recording but I think I would need to really tighten up my technique to play it in a band.

Hey Edward! I have not been around the LP Forum much and recently was wondering what ever happened to you. Good to see you still around, and it looks like you're even in the same band.

I have a lot of fun playing my P-bass for recording but I think I would need to really tighten up my technique to play it in a band.
    Hey Phil! They blocked MySpace at work, so I can't hit on 18 year-old girls online anymore! :rl Looks like I'm back to talking about guitars instead of working again! ;) I actually have a different project now. Lure broke up, so I'm working with a singer who can actually sing in From a Great Height.

I've been drooling over P-Basses in the Fender catalog, but...

myspace gives me the creeps, man ...

With the, basses I feel you can go MIM. I tried the American '62 RI, and that was a little nicer, but it was $1100. I liked the MIM better than any of the US made Highway 1s that I tried though. $350, not bad...

I'm really trying not to justify it... you're not helping! :lol

Well, you're a guitarist who's dabbling with bass for recording, maybe jamming--like me. You already have the Gibson bass, so what do you need two for?

There, I helped you the other way. ;) Glad you're back and I'll see you around the forums. I might be going to LA this summer to visit my brother who lives on Sepulveda and is finishing up UCLA law school. If you're playing that week, I'll check it out.

I'll let you know!
    Thanks bruddah!