Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Live Album And Why

Re: Favorite Live Album And Why

Greenday "American Idiot"

For the first time in 30 years, a band put out a cohernent album that flows, makes you think, has a plethora of great tunes, and just plain rocks.

They have restored my faith in the music industry's ability to actually deliver music as art to the masses. And it's full of killer drums, bass, and guitar.

OSA
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhandjohn
    I like: ... Gary Moore: Best of the Blues Disc 2
    What a great album. Gary playing with Albert King, Albert Collins and BB King (love the interplay between Gary and BB on The Thrill Is Gone... so tasty!!!)
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Greenday "American Idiot"
    Is there a live "American Idiot" album?

-Mark

A lot of people have listed stuff that I love. Since I haven't bought any albums/CDs in many a year, I'm relying on my old collection of vinyl and CDs:

The Who: Live at Leeds ~ PT and JE are truly stunning, and you've got to admire PT getting some gorgeous/monstrous tones out of his SG.

Thin Lizzy: Live and Dangerous ~ some beautifully melodic stuff, some raucously heavy stuff, and some foot-tappingly good beer drinking stuff. Love that album and the way a 2 guitar attack could work together so well.

BB King ~ Live at the Regal ~ in a word: classic.

King Crimson: USA ~ I've always loved KC and this is the only live (legitimate) album I've heard. Of course, it's all good but the version of 21st Century Schizoid Man is terrifyingly cool...very heavy. I'm a huge fan of Robert Fripp and his playing on this is awesome....huge sound. Shows what happens when you put a LP Custom through a Hi-Watt and give it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Anything by Frank Zappa.

Zappa's bands were legendary, great players everywhere you listened. The Roxy album is brilliant, as is Broadway the Hard Way...two entirely different live experiences but each equally rewarding. I haven't heard The Best Band You Never Heard... (I'll try and find it), so I'll give my vote to this:

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 2: The Helsinki Concert. Recorded in September, 1974, you'll find a great line-up: George Duke, Ruth Underwood, Chester Thompson, Tom Fowler, and Napoleon Murphy Brock. The concert is very tight, the tempo hammers along, FZ's sound is massive and you know you're hearing sheer musical capability when you hear it. Awesome.

I have bought a few music DVDs in the last month. My pick is Gary Moore Live at Montreux 1990. Very cool.

Tenebrae

Yous have forgot Maiden's 'Live After Death'.. A monster band at the top of their game, and not afraid to put on a show...

Well, old-timers liek me an fezz laugh when we see "live album". No such thing in the last 25 years. Maybe clips from 7 shows Pro-Tools'ed and post processed. But live? OK sure.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

well....from the era and "the" live band I usually stop on "Live Dead"... nice to see ya Sabby

but saying that it is hard to deny "Live at Leeds" The Who and "Fillmore East" by the ABB

and the reason is simple genuine from the bottom to the top live music that has a direct influence on one's being....whoa deep... but really that's it.

Forum Member

Great picks here. But I'm still thinking we're all missing something and we're gonna slap our foreheads when we think of it.

In the realm of the not-too-famous but still heartily-recommendable is the Sam Cooke Live in Harlem, in which he left his smooth stuff behind and got DOWN.

And Vibro, that's interesting about your being there the night of the Last Waltz performance. I had Thanksgiving with my folks instead.
    Everyone knows it was a heavily doctored tape, but I hadn't heard any firsthand reports of just how lousy their playing was that night.

The DVD of SRV at the Mocambo has to rank among the sweatiest performances I've ever seen.

U.F.O 's double live album "Strangers In The Night" (recorded in Chicago) from 1979.

Electrifying then, & now - it not only showcases what an outstanding group they were live, it also highlights Michael Schenker at the height of his powers & made him a household name this side of the 'pond'.

Done Gibson proud, becoming THE prime modern exponent of their famous 'Flying Vee' (known as his trademark), & increasing sales (& awareness) of their iconic design into the bargain.

The album cuts the rug, even today.

Just a shame (in many ways) that not enough folks are aware of
    them, as they - (thankfully) - weren't commercial enough, unlike some of their contemporaries.

Suprisingly, given their lack of airtime over here (where we're always audibly assaulted with crap & endless crap cover versions) I was very suprised that in a recent poll of music critics, the album was voted second, in a countdown of "Best British Live Albums" as reported via the B.B.C.

In a moment of lucidity I managed to think back to my band in the early 70's and how we were completely overwhelmed by Uriah Heep Live. It was a definitive line up doing some of their best material. Just a look at the set list and you know why it's a classic.

Record One, Side A
    1. Sunrise (3:50)
    2. Sweet Lorraine (4:27)
    3. Traveller In Time (3:20)
    4. Easy Livin' (2:43)
    Record One, Side B
    1. July Morning (11:23)
    2. Tears In My Eyes (4:34)

Record Two, Side A
    1. Gypsy (13:32)
    2. Circle Of Hands (8:47)
    Record Two, Side B
    1. Look At Yourself (5:57)
    2. The Magician's Birthday (1:15)
    3. Love Mchine (3:07)
    4. Rock 'N' Roll Medley (8:17)

I had comletely forgotten this album until just a few minutes ago and now I must go listen to it.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Mick Box - where are you now ???

Umm, he's still with Heep.

Go here
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Believer
    Get Yer Ya Yas Out - Rolling Stones.

It's, to me, just a great live album. Taylor just rips. Midnight Rambler is awsome.
    Great, great record.

To show how the mighty have fallen, merely listen to any of the last several Rollings Stones live albums, and compare it to that classic!

:ahem

Quote Originally Posted by Hornchurch
    U.F.O 's double live album "Strangers In The Night" (recorded in Chicago) from 1979.

Electrifying then, & now - it not only showcases what an outstanding group they were live, it also highlights Michael Schenker at the height of his powers & made him a household name this side of the 'pond'.

Absolutely, It's really too bad Michael has had such a hard time finding his way both personally and professionally. I've always been a big fan, he always played with such taste and style...good call
    That's a Robin move...Batman never woulda done that...

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    One of my favorites: Larry Carlton on "Last Nite". His playing on the tunes 'Last Nite' and 'Emotions Wound us So' is incredible. What a frickin' choice of notes!

One of my favorite all time cuts.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Lots of great Live albums already listed.

I would like to add

Wes Montgomery "Full House"

Why?
    killer playing, A great snapshot of a excellent gig.
    Last edited by Mr Fuzzy; 02-06-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Beatles White...it has kind sof music from country to rock to pop and 40's...awesome!

One of my all time favorite live albums is a sort of guilty pleasure at times. Here's the why... It has some of the most wussy-fied songs ever at the start, but builds in a great pace as the rest of the band is introduced into the mix. A great collection of songs with a full range of emotional energy, and some great jams. Killer tele sounds from an old top-loader in the hands of a great player/producer.

I'm talking about Loggins and Messina On Stage.

It starts with Kenny loggins on acoustic for Danny's Song and House at Pooh Corner, etc. They bring out Jim Messina and do a few countrified numbers, then the full band is there for tunes like Angy Eyes with long jams, etc.

Great recording with tons of atmosphere. Check it out some sunday afternoon. I think you'll enjoy it.

Wilko reminded me of a great band ... and still around POCO
    "POCO Deliverin" a great live albumn (I saw them when they toured that stuff in 1971) Rusty Young and what a band. Tonto De Nadie a great live stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Wilko reminded me of a great band ... and still around POCO
    and HOW did I remind you of Poco?

'cause Jim Messina was in that group.

you got it and that also links to The Eagles in some ways etc...
    and to think that this musical thread started (in some ways) with the Byrds and also Buffalo Springfield.... some great music through all the years

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fuzzy
    Lots of great Live albums already listed.

I would like to add

Wes Montgomery "Full House"

Why?
    killer playing, A great snapshot of a excellent gig.
    Wow, I'd forgotten about that one, somewhere around here I've got the line for S.O.S. Killer tune!