Thread: Home Recording Newby

Forum Member

Home Recording Newby

Hello,

I am a newby to home recording and what I would like to know is this: What is the easiest, most user friendly way to record and edit your stuff.

What I'm looking to do is record mostly intrumental guitar based music but with interesting sound bytes, effects and spoken words all cobbled together into my compositions.

I just don't know enough about this.

Recording software or something like the digital recorders Boss offers?

Could someone help?

Thanks,
    -David

Re: Home Recording Newby

Guitar Tracks Pro....Well, for me....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Re: Home Recording Newby

If you have a computer with sound card, you have a recorder.

You'll need a mechanism to get the guitar sound from the instrument into the computer. There are far too many options here to list, but you asked for easiest, most user friendly. Therefore, look into a product such as a Line6 POD, or Guitarport. You do not have to use Line6 products, Digitech, Boss, Tascam, and several others offer similar devices, all priced in the same price range. The advantage of these devices over some other lesser priced options is that these add not only the connection capability, but also the amp and cabnet modeling. This is a plus in some respects because you can model many different amps and not have to actually own any of them, bot the main advantage is that input levels are standard 1V line input levels so you won't blow a sound card.

Next in the process is recording software. Most of the products above come with some form of software included. Depending on your flavor of computer, Mac or PC, you may or may not be able to use the bundled software and have to purchase something else. Don't worry yet though, because there are several shareware and demo packages available to download and try out before you buy.

That's pretty much the mechanics involved. It's not at all difficult. There are lots of options to pick from, and don't be suprized if you find yourself going down one path, and then later changing your mind and taking a different path (such as mic'ing real amps and running through a mixer to input into the computer).
    ________
    Iolite Vaporizer Review
    Last edited by Mesotech; 03-24-2011 at 03:04 PM.