Thread: Ok.. new thread.. Digital and Analog delays...

Ok.. new thread.. Digital and Analog delays...

Here we go.. What do you have and why?
    Also, what DID you have?
    This should be fun...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Re: Ok.. new thread.. Digital and Analog delays...

At various times I've had: reissue Deluxe Memory Man, DD-3, DD-5, multiple DM-2's, a DM-3, a Maxon AD9, and probably something else too that I can't remember right now.

Currently I only have a BYOC kit I built. I'm using the BYOC because it's compact, true bypass, has 600ms max delay, is `analog' voiced for that low-fi delay sound, and the audio circuitry overdrives easily. All of which work OK for what I want to do most with a delay. But the flip side of those `features' is that it can be too murky, too grainy, and have too little input headroom for some things. Works for me today, and I'll probably change my mind tomorrow!

EDIT : oh yeah, I forgot one of the BYOC's biggest flaws: the slapdash Walmart paint job I did on the box! :toobad :spin
    Last edited by BigsbyTracks; 01-26-2006 at 09:14 AM.

My first delay was a Multivox "Big-Jam" Analog Delay. Hissed like a snake.

I replaced it with a pawnshop DD-2. Had it for years, very cold sounding. Eventually sold it to somebody with more money than ears.

Replaced it with an Echo Park. Great sound and utility, but induced digital nasty noise into other pedals. Dumped it.

Now have the reissue Ibanez AD-9. Works fine.

I'd love to have a TTE, but I'm not lugging that and my reverb tank around.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

My old Ibanez AD-9 was my first pedal ever.
    I bought a Boss digital delay pedal to replace it but it sounded horrible!
    Now I also have a BYOC DD-80 digital delay but it has a more percussive, trebly flavor. It's not subtle. Good for rockabilly.
    Sometimes I put the AD-9s dry out into the DD-80 just for kicks.

If I ever come into some money I'll get a Fulltone tape echo.

I'm leaning towards a BYOC box, but really, I just trying to get the best value in a reasonably low cost.
    Photoweborama

I am an unabashed digital delay junkie.

I've had Boss' DSD-2, DD-2, several DD-3s, DD-5, DD-6 and DD-20.
    I've had Digitech's PDS-1002, PDS-8000 and a couple of their old 'Time Machine' rack delays. I've also had a few ART delays and the Line 6 DL-4.

Of these all, the best ones were a particularly warm sounding DD-3 (which I still have) and the DD-20. The PDS-8000 was a monster for its era, too. The DL-4 is a good pedal but, IMO, has been eclipsed by the DD-20.

Analog still kicks booty for things like slapback but digital is the only way to go when I want to stack 3 16 second loops or use a reverse gate patch or change tempo on the fly, etc.

YMMV.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker
    Of these all, the best ones were a particularly warm sounding DD-3 (which I still have).
    Another vote for the DD3. It's easy to use, sounds good and is built like a tank (it's a Boss!)
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

TFF Stage Crew

I am currently using a DD-5 on my board. After using a POD for some time, I'd gotten used to the tap feature & so when I sought out a pedal for my chain it had to have that option.
    If anybody knows of a better delay w/tap tempo I'd like to hear about it. The Boss is a little sterile sounding. I only use a little effect blended in w/the original signal so it's not real obvious, but analog warmth is what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    I'm leaning towards a BYOC box, but really, I just trying to get the best value in a reasonably low cost.
    I love my BYOC DD-80 delay, but it does not have the warmth of an old Ibanez analog delay regardles of what the website says! It is lo-fi though compared to some other digital delays.
    When Keith (?) was contemplating adding a delay to his line he asked for opinions and I pushed for an analog delay.

I actually like it because it's so entirely different than my AD-9.
    Last edited by Don; 01-26-2006 at 01:04 PM.

I've got a 1980s Digitek rds 1900 that sounds great. Has modulation effects, 4 ranges of delay up to 1900 milliseconds, dry out, footswitchable, mix out. Mix control, level control, sample hold repeat, etc.
    1 rack space. I use it in line with a guitar or for PA applications. Looped into a channel can be EQ'd for warmer tone.

Biggest bonus is that with all those features, IT HAS KNOBS! You turn them and parameters change in real time! NO MENUS, no digital numbers.

TFF Stage Crew

I'm using a Maxon AD-9 currently for a short analog delay. I was using a Deluxe Memory Man which sounded great but just takes up too much real estate on the board. I also have an Echoplex EP3 that I use just for recording.

I'm in the market for a nice sounding digital delay with stereo ins and outs. Tap tempo would be an added bonus.

Well I really do thrive on a warm sound. I've dumped pedals because of that before.

So it sounds like in the low end stuff the DD-3 is warm? will do the basic job?
    I'm looking at production stuff I can credit card from MF, or some other places.. Or should I say "Finance".

The DD-80 kit might be ok?

The current Ibanez AD-9 is fair?

What about the Guyatone MD-3?
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    So it sounds like in the low end stuff the DD-3 is warm? will do the basic job?
    I suppose it depends on when it was made.

The very early ones were supposed to be identical to the DD-2 I had. Supposedly collectable, blah blah. VERY cold sounding, IMHO.

Newer ones may be different.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

When I finally wised up with my rig and started using higher-end "boo teak" pedals, I switched away from the digital delays I'd been using (Line6 DL-4, then Boss DD-5) to a Maxon AD-9.

I really loved the warm sound, and the bypass was really clear. After awhile though I got tired of the fact that there was an overall darkening of my tone during leads, which sort of flew in the face of the idea of higher-end pedals clearing up the tone as much as possible.

So, I added a DD-3 to my board to use for longer delay effects, and kept the Maxon for slapback. Then one day I tried the DD-3 for slapback and liked the overall clarity so much I bought a second DD-3 and took the Maxon off the board totally. I've had it that way for going on two years now I think.

TFF Stage Crew

How was the Line6 DL-4 compared to the others you mentioned?

TFF Stage Crew

It was actually nice and I had none of the problems I've read about others encountering. My problem was a fairly noticeable drop in volume when I kicked it in. It must have something to do with how the delayed tone was mixed in with the original signal. But no matter how I tried, when I stepped on it during a lead, even if also stepping on a boost box, the volume drop was apparent.

I did the same thing 71818 mentioned, since I'd grown to love tap-tempo, I got the DD-5 first so I could have that option. In the end though, I realized that for my tastes, I only ever use fast (slap) delay, or longer echoing delays.

This sounds good... DD3... I don't intend to do long delays either.
    Photoweborama

Digidelay!

I really like it.

Another vote for the DD3 here.

I'm thinking I may have to buy both of them at GC, take them both home, play them side by side on my setup and keep the one I like..
    Photoweborama

TFF Stage Crew

Anybody played the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay for any length of time?

Yep, had mine for over 2 years now. It's a pretty warm sounding digital delay. Certainly not analog warm but more so than the DD-5 or DD-6, IMO.

The current digital delay (pedal) benchmark, IMO. 23 seconds of mayhem, if you're so inclined.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

I've got a Aria DD-X10 Digital delay. (I know nobody ever heard or it)
    It has a cool latch feature and does all the tricks a good Digital delay should do.EXCEPT :toobad Slapback & Verb. Which is really all I need a delay to do. I just ordered a danelectro BLT for $22. Hopefully that will fit the bill? I will report back.
    BTW. If it's a keeper? I'm losing the plastic case and hard wiring it into a Metal project box. ;)

I've wondered about that myself. I've liked the mini pedals, but I pickup radio stations on them here... The sound quality of the effects on the mini pedals is quite good.
    Photoweborama

i'm rather fond of the SIB Mr. Echo. It has an analog feel.
    "Hot DOG! When it comes to cookin', I'm the cat's meow!"
    - Larry Fine (Malice in the Palace, 1949)

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

I use the delay on my Berhinger multi effects pedal. If it's any good I don't know. It works for me, but then again i don't know good delay from bad unless it is very obvious to me. (You be the judge if you want check out my most recent jamzone post and fast forward 4 minutes)

I would like a Dano BLT or DanEcho, So a report on the BLT would be much appreciated.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

I bought a BLT for around $20 to use with a little Les Paul Jr. amp. I wanted it for a reverb-like effect and, for the most part, it does just that. While the slap back seems convincing, I have never owned a proper delay device to compare it to (and I've been playing for 13 years). For me, the extreme settings are — well, extreme. I found the BLT is best at mix, 12; repeat, 2. It's subtle. For what I wanted, it beat spending $100 on a reverb pedal.

I have space for one more pedal on my board, and am thinking about adding a real delay. The Guyatone looks interesting, just haven't found a local dealer. I'll likely default to the DD-3.
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources — Einstein

RDS 1900 from Digitech GROSSELY UNDERRATED

one of the best Digital Delays ever made imo and I've owned 6 different ones, absolutely crazy machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratoclutter
    RDS 1900 from Digitech GROSSELY UNDERRATED

one of the best Digital Delays ever made imo and I've owned 6 different ones, absolutely crazy machine.
    That's what I said! (well almost). I love my old RDS 1900.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

A vote for the "warmth" of the Maxon/Ibanez AD-9 (over the Boss DD-3 digital). But you can do more with the Boss. I WOULD try them both. I did - and chose the Maxon. You can get it for about $135 spanking new, maybe a little less used. But, I'm no expert and don't do a lot of different things with it so YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnda
    I would like a Dano BLT or DanEcho, So a report on the BLT would be much appreciated.
    My preliminary BLT report on a 1 to 10 scale (10 being Excellent)
    Sound Quality: (9) Outstanding for the price! Very convening Slapback. The reverb is very tasty. Not as 3D and transparent as a $100+ Boutique unit, But it doesn't seem to go to mush under a medium gain amp (i.e.) JCM 800
    Ease to use: (10) As David Spade said in`Tommy Boy' If you can't figure this out... YOUR A MORON AND SHOULD BE BEAT OVER THE HEAD WITH A TACK HAMMER!
    Construction: (2) This thing does NOT qualify to be called a Stomp Box. If your a 200 Lbs+ Guy like me. Every time I step on this I envision a pile of plastic dust being under my foot. I use a FX looper to engage this on my board. I figure it will cost me another $25 to transpose this into a metal case with real pots and switch.
    Overview:Even with the poor construction, It's still a great bang for the buck. It's a 2 trick pony, But those or the only tricks i need it to do. And it does them well.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Analog still kicks booty for things like slapback but digital is the only way to go when I want to stack 3 16 second loops or use a reverse gate patch or change tempo on the fly, etc.
    Yup, seems to be the way it works. That being said, I have an old Washburn analog that I really love.

- In 1979 - Ibanez AD-9
    - Mid 80's - Ibanez Echo Machine (Sound Tank)
    - Today - Boss RV-3 on the Pedal Board
    - Today - Ibanez DE-7 floating around the house for various "non pedal board" applications

I have an Alesis Quadraverb II in my little studio rack.

The Ibanez DE-7's get very little attention and they only fetch $35 on ebay but I really like mine. They have a switch for crispy digital delay tone or warm analog tone and a 4 second delay. It's very multi-funtional and affordable.
    Carry On!

John

Digitech delays are the sland.

But to answer the question - it depends on the music. For country and rock playing live you can't beat the cut of a digital. For studio surf, analog. They are different beasts and each has a place on your board.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My first delay was a Boss DM-3 analog delay that I found in a pawn shop for maybe $50 - $60 back in 1989 or 1990 or so. I still have it.

I also have a Danelectro DanEcho and I just picked up a Danelectro FAB Echo pedal for $15.00 at Guitar Center.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

Check this out. My first delay or as they used to be called an "echo chamber" was a Univox EC-80 Echo. This thing was serioulsy cool at the time. It used a tape cartrige that was kind of like an old 8 track only a lot smaller. It had a lot of hiss but really fat warm sound. When I couldn't get tapes anymore, I got an Ibanez digital delay in the mid 80's. It sounds ok but no where near the Univox.