Thread: Rust on pickup's magnet poles

Rust on pickup's magnet poles

Hi, I have got a set of Kinman's in my Strat. It is starting to appear some rust on them, specially on the bridge pickup. I live by the sea, so I believe that is part of the answer why the poles are rusting. Now, my question is: is there a safe way to remove the rust from the pickup's pole pieces? Thanks for your help!

Forum Member

Re: Rust on pickup's magnet poles

I have this on my stock fender am pups, sorry I cant figure out how to remove it for ya. I think it looks cool, witha vintagy vibe!

Greg

Forum Member

A dab of metal polish on a rag would probabily work.

I dont think you would have any problem removing rust unless you tried using steel wool or sandpaper...

The real problem is that any tiny bit of rust or metal you take off will stick to the polepiece magnetically, and can cause major problems if it somehow finds its way into the windings.

I've heard of this method before, but haven't tried it. Anyone feel free to correct me if this isn't kosher:

Try to polish the polepieces with a Scotchbrite pad...the non metallic kind. Like I mentioned earlier, this may loosen the rust, but won't remove it.

To actually get the rust off, you need something stronger than the magnetic pull of the pickups...so break out the duct tape. Place a small strip over the poles, remove, and hopefully the rust and residue will remain on the glue.

Next, gently clean any gummy residue off of the face of the pickups, then place a drop of clear nail polish on each pole to keep it from rusting over again.

Being very careful and cautious is key to this...you're dealing with delicate pickups that can easily be ruined.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Does using the clear nail polish on each pole affects the sound of the pickups at all?

Does using the clear nail polish on each pole affects the sound of the pickups at all?
    How good are your ears?

But seriously....no. It won't make any real difference.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Quote Originally Posted by agalamba
    Hi, I have got a set of Kinman's in my Strat. It is starting to appear some rust on them, specially on the bridge pickup. I live by the sea, so I believe that is part of the answer why the poles are rusting. Now, my question is: is there a safe way to remove the rust from the pickup's pole pieces? Thanks for your help!
    Why not email Kinman and see what their advice is?

-Mark

I already did that Plugger, still waiting for an answer though...

Forum Member

I play about 4 gigs a week, and I teach guitar as well. Let me tell ya, the pole pieces on all my guitars are pretty damn rusted out. It doesn't hurt anything, it just shows that it has been played. I imagine that the process was proably accerated by the face that you live by the beach. It isn't a real problem, but I hope kinman has a good fix for you since it does bother you.

Well, I just want my things to last. I too play 4 gigs a week, and this is my trusty and only guitar right now, so I really want it to last. The rust kind of bothers me cosmetically, and I wouldn´t want any sound changes to my pickups. But I probably wouldn´t be able to tell the diference any way right...?

There would be no change in sound.
    "Go Team Venture!"