Thread: What were the standard colors on the 65 Mustang?

What were the standard colors on the 65 Mustang?

I think they were the Olympic White, a red and a blue color.
    Does anyone know the specific colors? Sonic Blue, Dapne Blue, Dakota red etc...

I'm looking at getting a 65. I've got a 74 that I really enjoy and these are still a good value for a vintage guitar!

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by David St. Hubbins; 12-19-2002 at 09:01 AM.

TFF Stage Crew
    Daphne blue & Dakota red, I believe.

Here's a picture of the guitar I decided to get.. Its a Sonic Blue.
    I also think they were actually produced in a Daphne Blue after a little research.
    Any opinions on what the color is? Whats the difference between Sonic and Daphne Blue anyway? Would there be any type of color code on the guitar?

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...21b30df0f08415

Thanks
    Last edited by David St. Hubbins; 12-19-2002 at 04:41 PM.

Forum Member
    Sorry, I listed them for a stratocaster......
    Last edited by Joe; 07-05-2003 at 12:38 PM.

The catalogs listed them as Red, White or Blue. The white was very white (I owned one), like a Snow white, the red looked much like Fiesta red, the blue was about halfway between Daphne & Sonic, but all seemed different than Strat/Tele/Jag/Jazzmaster custom colors.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Mine was Dakota Red. It seems like the most popular color for that year.

The Fender Mustang was introduced in August 1964. This guitar was essentially a Duo-Sonic with the Dynamic Fender Vibrato. It was available in three colors: Red, Blue, and White. Although similar to Fender's custom colors of the time: Dakota Red, Daphne Blue, and Olympic White, these namings were apparently never used on the Mustang. They were just plain Red, Blue, and White. The Red and Blue ones came with white pearl pickguards (white pearl-black-white), black pickup covers with no pole piece holes, and black slider switches. The White ones came with red tortoise-pearl pickguards (red pearl-black-white) and white (creamish) pickup covers and white slider switches. The white slider switches were made of different material than the pickup covers and tended to stay whiter and not age to a greenish gray color like the pickup covers.

http://home.catv.ne.jp/kk/mrmaxima/

Nice website.

I paid $175 for my Mustang about 15 years ago and sold it a few months later for $225. I remember thinking that I made out real good.

I just couldn't get the tone that I wanted out of it.

I remember that the pickguard had shrunken slightly, the metalic color in the Fender logo has tarnished green and partially worn off and the sharkskin case had slight water damage. It was in great shape otherwise.

It was a very cool guitar- great for slide.

I miss it for all the wrong reasons.

Forum Member
    Fender called them "Red, White, and Blue" because they were Custom Colors that cost 5% MORE on other models.
    How could a STUDENT model have something STANDARD that cost MORE on a more expensive model.
    THEN....they go and paint pegheads and racing stripes in 1969....and add a color that they had NEVER had before...Competition Orange with TWO shades of Orange!!

http://www.smallclone.com/mustang/vi...mages/TR04.jpg

above is a link to my 2 Comp Oranges.
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!