Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the average age and level of musical experience of a TFF contributor?

Re: What's the average age of a TFF and level of musical experience contributor?

I'm 16. Been playing for.... I dunno.... 4-5 years?? Something like that. Played a nylon string spanish guitar for a year before I got my first 'lectric. And now... well... I'm a TFF member.

Re: What's the average age of a TFF and level of musical experience contributor?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nazz Are Blue
    I'm 16. Been playing for.... I dunno.... 4-5 years?? Something like that. Played a nylon string spanish guitar for a year before I got my first 'lectric. And now... well... I'm a TFF member.

Wow, I thought I was the youngest!

...I feel 16 when I'm playing my guitar--does that count? Man, it's so cool to hear from these young cats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    BTW: Anxiety and depression here. I'll bet there are a lot more of us too.
    Count me in...25 year career as a firefighter. I still see people that I don't know...but they looked at me on the worst day...sometimes on thier last day of thier lives. I only see them when my eyes are closed.

You are partially right Moonpie, but for some people, thier house is the most dangerous place on Earth. I used to respond to family incidents to patch up wives and kids...I'd get incredibly angry...violently angry, and it would last for days. Alcohol would cool the jets...you know the rest of the story.

The hard part was not being able to admit that I was emotional. Prozac worked wonders, but my wife saved my life. (Saved me from myself).

Been out for five years now...still take the Prozac, still see the faces.

When I was 16 I had already been in The Tactics for two years...and we had already cut a (really sort of lame) record...but perhaps the first INDIE Production...it went no-place fast. Our engineer was the same guy who worked on several Gene Pitney hits...but...hell, I forget his name now.
    Before you know it Nazz, you'll be a 56 year old geezer like me. Time is precious. Keep playing and by all means, enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBoy
    When I was 16 I had already been in The Tactics for two years...and we had already cut a (really sort of lame) record...but perhaps the first INDIE Production...it went no-place fast. Our engineer was the same guy who worked on several Gene Pitney hits...but...hell, I forget his name now.
    Before you know it Nazz, you'll be a 56 year old geezer like me. Time is precious. Keep playing and by all means, enjoy yourself.
    Well I'm nowhere near where you were at 16! Thanks for the avice, though, and if I ever stop enjoying myself when I play da music, it will mean there's either something wrong with me, or with da music.

There's another cat my age around here; I go to school with him. Maybe he'll show up.

... man, did I say "cat"?? Maybe I'm a geezer after all and no one told me. :bwa

Just kidding ;)

... man, did I say "cat"?? Maybe I'm a geezer after all and no one told me. :bwa

Just kidding ;)
    Keep the sense of humor. It's wonderful and you'll need it.
    Peace.

There's another cat my age around here; I go to school with him. Maybe he'll show up.
    I guess that's me. I'm 16 and I've been playing for almost 3 years now.
    "The finger pointing at the moon is not the moon."

Quote Originally Posted by Southbound
    I guess that's me. I'm 16 and I've been playing for almost 3 years now.
    What are you doing writing here when you can be playing?
    Will you guys PLEASE go to your rooms and start wrangling your respective axes...and don't forget...amps on 12!

Sheesh. Kids today.....

Just kidding ;)

If you're 16, now(2006AD), and referring to a cohort as a cat, you got it bad, dude.
    I didn't do that 'til I was about 22.
    I just worked cohort in last year.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    Anxiety and depression here. I'll bet there are a lot more of us too.
    You can count me on that list, but I don't like to talk about it.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'm 33, playing off an on for plenty of years, only "on" for the last 5 or so. I'm a great player by a handful, a good player by some, an average player by many, and should just give it up as far as a few people I've met at jams are concerned (you know the type). Play for fun, fun fore play.

Early mid life crisis here.

I'm 36 years old, and two months ago (at the suggestion of my boys) I picked up the guitar (my '76 Fender Mustang) for the first time in 20 years.

I am a partner in a successful business with over a hundred employees. I am happily married to a retired ( ;) stay at home) lawyer and we have 3 young children (6, 4 and <1.).

I decided a few years ago to go back and pick up the hobbies I dropped earlier in life. I've even added some things I really wanted to do as a kid, but didn't. In the last 4 years I've started surfing, biking, karate, rebuilding (or rather refurbishing) my old convertible, and now the guitar.

I took piano and guitar lessons growing up, so I have the basics. That being said, I'm really not that good at either, but I'm pretty focused so I'm picking it up back up pretty quickly. Plus, I seem to have a better ability to see the big picture now and that helps in putting the pieces together, if that makes sense. I've relearned everything I knew as a teen and then some. I'm teaching myself right now, but plan to start interviewing instructors soon.

I've enjoyed reading the posts here. This place is a great resource.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by usc96
    I'm 36 years old,.... In the last 4 years I've started surfing, biking, karate, rebuilding (or rather refurbishing) my old convertible, and now the guitar.
    Good for you man! Excellent!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I took piano and guitar lessons growing up, so I have the basics. That being said, I'm really not that good at either, but I'm pretty focused so I'm picking it up back up pretty quickly. Plus, I seem to have a better ability to see the big picture now and that helps in putting the pieces together, if that makes sense. I've relearned everything I knew as a teen and then some. I'm teaching myself right now, but plan to start interviewing instructors soon.
    who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks ;)

kidding, i'm not much younger then you

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Good for you man! Excellent!
    Thanks. My dad was a workaholic, and when he retired, he had lots of $$$, but no hobbies. Even today I can't for the life of me figure out what he does with his free time, other than bail my deadbeat sister out of trouble and invest in real estate.

One day (maybe because of that) it dawned on me that I didn't want to define myself by my work (job) solely, so I started doing other things. It was one of the best decisions of my life. Hopefully I'm setting a good example for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo Moon
    You got my full respect, bro. You are doing the right thing.

peace
    BM
    ditto.......
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

One day (maybe because of that) it dawned on me that I didn't want to define myself by my work (job) solely, so I started doing other things. It was one of the best decisions of my life. Hopefully I'm setting a good example for my kids.
    thats a great attitude to take.. good on you

Quote Originally Posted by refin
    ditto.......
    Thanks refin, your compliment means a great deal to me.

What age and level?

The age is high, the ability level low.

Experience : Playing on and off since I was 18. Still not very good with scales though
    Nothing's forgotten...nothing is ever forgotten

B
    oss GT-100 COSM Amp Effects Processor & FS6 Dual Footswitch

Im 46 so thats 31 years Ive been playing guitar. You would think I could play the damn thing by now!
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
    C. S. Lewis

www.myspace.com/ronnieleslie
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...36&ref=profile
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6070659...7626159170245/

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

I'm 39, although I have been reliably informed that this is temporary and will change at some point this year. Picked up my first guitar when I was 7, then put it down again 'cos it was very heavy. Got a half sized acoustic and settled down to learn the craft with Ulf Goran on the telly (anyone remember him?)

After 6 months, I could play such classics as the "Ten little trolls" song and thus my musical journey was complete. I put down my guitar and moved on to other things.

When I was 13, a drummer friend invited me over to a practice, and I saw that there were possibilities beyond the "Ten little trolls" song. I got a cheap strat copy, and so it began.

Was in a few bands while at college, wrote some songs, stopped playing for 5 years to concentrate on nappy changing, started again when my son saw a guitar under my bed and, when I said it was mine, said "but you can't play guitar daddy". I thought right punk, watch this, took the gear out from the mothballs, set it up, and showed him a thing or two.

What I mainly showed him was that he was right, and I couldn't play. Bugger.

Have spent the last few years getting back into it, having fun all the time. :blbros

Good Reading, Folks.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

I'm not a guitar player but I play one on tv ;)
    Then Play On

33. I started playing at a very young age (musical family). Mostly played "latin" stringed instruments until I turned electric at about age 11. I consider myself about average: play by ear, but not much reading or theory ability.

I feel ass-backward into good bands. Played pretty much half time (half my income came from gigging) for a good 8 years. Still record and go over tracks for a few buddies that are still in the game.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

Like Moonpie says, good reading y'all. It's cool to know my TFF friends at a more personal level.:)

I'm Charlie, 39 years old. Wasn't born in this country but moved to East L.A (Beverly & Atlantic area) when my Dad brought me and my Mom here. After that, we moved to the North Hollywood area. My friends turned me on to KISS in 6th grade. In Junior High my new friends got me hip to Led Zeppelin and it was over. Started taking lessons at a Mom & Pops store near Vineland & Magnolia (American Music, Freedom Music...something like that) around 1979. My Mom used to pay $6.00 for a half hour lesson and bought me a Hondo 2 acoustic for $75.00. She made payments of something like $10.00 everyweek on it. I still have the guitar.:) I bought a cheap electric and cheap amp about a year later from some friends.

After taking lessons for about 3 years I broke my wrist. Rock music was changing (Van Halen was even using keyboards) and early Hip Hop music was coming out (Curtis Blow, Treachorous 3, Funky 4 Plus 1 More, etc). I started spending more time in Brooklyn NY (Williamsburg) with my cousin and got submerged into Hip Hop. This is when New York still had peep shows at the duece, graffiti on trains and White Castle was a quarter. Since I had broke my wrist, I had stopped playing guitar and was mainly only listening to Red Alert or Chuck Chillout.

In the early 90's, a band called Nirvana came out. Then a few more bands like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots and The Screaming Trees (;). I started listening to rock again. I hated all the hair bands back then (although now there are a good handful of songs that I dig) but this new sound is was brought me back to rock. In 2000, I bought a Squier guitar and amp to have some fun. Since then, I have played with lots of my old friends who never stopped playing (man, I love you guys!). I have way to much crap now and still can't play for shit, but I manage to get together with some friends once a week to play covers, drink beer and shoot the shit. It's good therapy and so is the TFF.

:)

Nice thread....

Phew... I'm 47 and first picked up the guitar in 1971. I was living in Sydney, Australia at the time (my dad's job had us moving every 3-4 years until I was 17) and some friends and I got together and shared a guitar and a weekly lesson for a few months, trying to learn to play Eleanor Rigby...

My parents noted the interest and brought home a cheap 12-string with really high action one day. More strings, it's got to be better, right? Somehow I survived that, and kept trying to play. By the time I turned 15 we had moved to the Atlanta suburbs, right next door to a kid my age who had an Epi Casino, a Twin Reverb, and a basement. When my birthday rolled around that year I got a Japanese Epi solidbody (an ET-275) and a 25w Univox, and the band "Spectrum" was born. The drummer was rock solid and could sing, the other guitarist was a much better lead player than me, so I was the rhythm guy who shared singing. We were (and I still am) Stones freaks. "Get Yer Ya Yas Out" was our altar (with a lot of now classic Southern Rock, The Who, Bad Co., and Aerosmith thrown in), and we were pretty tight for a bunch of kids. Even had two paying gigs: a Junior High graduation dance and a Sunday morning slot to an empty house in a downtown USO. My brother graduated from soundguy, to conga/timbale guy, to bass player.

We moved to the Chicago suburbs right before my senior year in High School, and I let it slip away. Sold my electric (and a 100w Marshall head) when I went to college out in Denver to study Art Education with an Ibanez dreadnaught. I love art, and creative activities of all kinds -- but refused to specialize. I love it mostly as process and outlet rather than as platform for some grand voice or vision. I have no burning need to say or paint or write something that my ego demands you appreciate, or that it thinks will alter your point of view on anything. Kind of a problem in many of the artistic pursuits.... except, in some ways, music performance.

Tragedy struck: I broke my left arm really badly at the end of college (compound fracture, radius and ulna... like I had an extra elbow on the way to my wrist) and thought I'd never be able to play again. (Weird that there are so many wrist injuries reported above). Didn't really try again for nearly twenty years, but started noodling on the acoustic eventually and fighting my way back. I'd spent two decades absorbing (or trying to) the history of the blues -- back into the things Keef pointed to -- and I wanted to see what I could still do. I'd lost some wrist rotation that, to this day, requires me to tuck my left elbow in a lot more than I'd like, and makes hours of barre chords really painful.

By then I was married, and had a little money, and decided to buy myself my first good instrument in a now-or-never, use-it-or-lose-it sort of mid-life moment. A Gibson J-100 Extra. I loved the boom of that beast, and it jump-started my playing. But its a big thing for the couch, so I added a small-bodied Taylor (812-CE). I now have two kids under age six and life has a way of getting very complex. But... I still missed the noise of electric playing.

Professionaly, I landed in book publishing (recently ended after 17 years) and I was the guy in charge of publishing J.R.R. Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings in the U.S. when the films came along. What a wild ride that was, managing what became a $55 million a year book franchise with tentacles everywhere in the 'culture', trying to preserve the long-term integrity of the 50 year-old work in the face of a pop-cultural onslaught rather than just squeezing bucks out of it. Fun stuff, the envy of 16 year-olds (and more) everywhere. I'm even on the first DVD release (not the extended one) in the Extras.
    http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/...ips/Clip_5.mpg

I've never worked so hard in my life. Or gotten such big bonus checks. So... to celebrate surviving the Fires of Mount Doom, I gave myself a little present:
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c4.../CS30505-1.jpg

I started blasting my eardrums through headphones late at night when the first little one began sleeping longer hours instead of sensibly catching up on my sleep, learning to play lead, honing my chops, dancing around like a kid in love. Then I found the JamZones here and across the hall and started playing along and trying to figure out how to record before I made contact with anybody. The Zones have changed my life in so many good ways. I remember I sent sent Moonpie an e-mail on the side with my first modern-era recording before I ever even posted anything. He didn't know me from Adam, but "Dive in, the water's fine. It's all good", he said, and since then I've taken a whack at more than a hundred of these fabulous jams. Bigsby Tracks, refin, Max Headroom, phtot, tallcoolone... friggin everybody who has dropped into those communities since I've been there have all been so wonderfully supportive, so helpful, so knowledgeable and so talented that the Zones have become a great addiction for which I'm very grateful. Thanks to these guys, my playing has improved exponentially and I have not just the creative outlet that I crave, but the community and comraderie lacking in many other aspects of my life. Thanks bros!

I may actually leave the house with a guitar again one of these days, too.

Well I'm coming to this thread a little late, but here I go...

I'm 45 years old, started piano lessons at age 8, learned Euphonium in grammer school, took up trombone in middle school because I wanted to play in the jazz ensemble. Went in the Navy at 17 and bought my first guitar because pianos weren't readily available. Played in a couple of drum and bugle corps during high school, which was where I met my wife of 26 years. She was in the flag line and looked great in short shorts.

I've been a volunteer church musician since I was 10 and played an opening hymn each week to start our sunday school program. Then moved on to playing organ for the Church services on a sub basis.

Besides playing in church, after doing 6 years in the Navy I did 14 years in an Army reserve band here in Rochester, Playing Euphonium for Marching, Trombone, Rhythm guitar, or Piano for the Stage band and Jazz ensembles depending on what was needed the most.

Keyboards are my strongest instrument, followed by trombone, my guitar playing is mainly a tool to accompany my singing nothing two special, mostly rhythm. Now that I'm retired from the Army I find myself playing more and more in church, not only my own, but subbing in a couple of others as well. I'm actually playing quite a bit of the time in church on guitar now, and only subbing occasionally on organ, and piano.

Well enough about me, now that I've bored you with my life's story, but you asked for it!!
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    ok, TIME TO FESS-UP....

I'm a HOT 18y.o. blonde w/ tits till tuesday, and the most perfect body you could ever possibly imagine. I can't play guitar worth a lick, but it doesn't mattter b/c i will never have to do a damn thing in my entire life cause i'm sooooooo friggin beautiful.

Now you know.
    Same here, xept I'm 21.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

Nice thread...cool to know people's background.

I'm 32 and picked up the guitar at 17 after my high school rock "band" found a better keyboard player and made me a rhythm guitarist. We only played out twice in three years and wrote our own stuff. We sucked.

I took lessons from a session player for about 3 years and that got me going in the right direction (I miss Andy...best guitar teacher in the world).

Started playing in church during college and have pretty much stuck with that. I have no problem with playing out, but I just don't have the time. I’ve been marred for 2 ˝ years. I'm an average player (especially lead wise). Was heavily influenced by third generation blues players such as Clapton, SRV, and Robben Ford.

I just purchased my third electric guitar (MIJ Tele) and have been playing more since joining the forum. I also have a Taylor to fit my acoustic playing needs.
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBoy
    What are you doing writing here when you can be playing?
    Will you guys PLEASE go to your rooms and start wrangling your respective axes...and don't forget...amps on 12!

Sheesh. Kids today.....
    :lol You do know it's possible to wrangle an axe and read stuff on TFF at the same time, right??

Anyways, if I played guitar every waking moment, I'd never get any time to just listen.
    Last edited by The Nazz Are Blue; 01-13-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: gosh darn stupid typo...

Suppose no-one is going to belive the above...

Ah well...

40 in a couple of month, made redundant at the end of August last year after 16 years at the same company. Now concentrating on Macintosh Consulting which I had been doing on the side since 1993 but let the business die off a little due to long working hours.

Been playing (trying to anyway) since I was 10. Had a 8 year break (really don't know why) started to pick the guitar up again a couple of years ago and went on a buying spree...

Never played professionally, it's just a hobby...

Starting to write songs again, might have a go a publishing them...

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

OK what the heck.

I'm 46 and started taking guitar lessons at the age of 6. I recall lessons cost $2 for a half-hour. Continued lessons through the age of 13 but it was just basic sheet music out of Easy Method books volume 1 through however high they went. Finally in middle school I met other musicians to jam with and learned bar chords and how to improvise.

By my early high school years I was in bands playing parties and high school dances. The following years were interesting and band personnel kept revolving always for the better and getting more professional at each step.

By the time I graduated I was playing in cover bands that had booking agents. The club scene was really thriving at that time and gigs were pentiful paid decent and often played 4 nights a week and travelled within a 200 mile area with our own light and sound man.

Then I had it in my mind California was the place to be if I was really going to make it so I moved to LA from the Mid-West and played in original rock bands in the LA club scene. This was the 80s and the big hair bands were the hot ticket which I wasn't part of. After 10 years of kicking around LA with basically the same band I packed it up and moved to the Bay Area and basically gave it a rest.

A few years later however a friend introduced me to a couple people that were looking for guitarist for an original rock band and I thought why not! Didn't last all that long but got me on a roll again and I joined other projects that I sought out through want ads and such.

So that brings me to my current situation playing in a female fronted hard rock band with dedicated people playing original music with a few covers for 3 set nights. While we all hold on to regular jobs the band travels regularly and we just completed an east coast tour and will be returning to New York this March for a week of shows.

Being in a band playing music is undeniably in my blood and something I enjoy and will continue to do as long as I can.

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Experince:
    Started learning guitar second semester of highschool when i didn't think my cello skills (or lack there of) could help Evanston Township High School's orchestra. And the only way i would get past the audition would involve a recommendation from my old conductor.
    I've played guitar for around 6 years, and i am glad i learned it but i miss my cello. I ok at guitar i guess, there is always some one that is better then me and someone worse but I'm the only me.

I am a music education major at Bluffton in Ohio. By the time i graduate, I'll be pretty good at classical and jazz guitar. I'm mainly a lead guitarist, but with no one to lead. Every band i try to start never takes off. I am single, and have never dated before. This seems to disprove the myth that music will attract the ladies. Whatever, maybe thats why i'm getting good at blues.

I'm in Jazz band in college, play 2nd guitar in my home church, have a spot on MacIdol (look for Jones), I am a Music ed major. And I somehow have more guitars then skill in playing them.

Beat up old baby taylor, my first guitar. It fit in my locker so i could take it to school, but it is too fragile for transport... it is on it's third neck & the top is full of cracks.
    Modified all black squire bullet made of plywood
    1966 red burst hard tail Stella by Harmony (technically my first axe, got it free. Need to learn slide to play it though.)
    1970ish red burst Kimberly
    2004 blue burst ibanez AS73 (a gift to me)
    2003ish martin wide OOO style guitar made by Will Roberts (a gift to me)
    Dorado 12 string, not sure if my dad gave this to me or not.
    Last edited by Jonnda; 01-13-2006 at 11:58 PM.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

25 , started playing in junior high school. Been in a few bands, still play the odd gig. But latley been playing every sunday in church
    Id like to get to be a professional studio player. And be able to play and keep up in any style

45 been playing since 12. Electric for about 10 years.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

I'm 54 with a 36 year old son, a grandson and another on the way.

I got my first acoustic guitar when I was 18 and I've been beating on them ever since. I did the band/bar thing when drunks and smoke didn't bother me but now it does so I'm done with it.

I'm in two bands, one with keyboards and one without and we do non-bar stuff.

I love music and I love people who make music so there it is.........ya'll are loved.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

im 48,started playing at 13,stopped at 20 when i got married and had wife and kids to support and got into it again 10 years ago.the wife and kids think im good enough to play onstage with my favorite local band(i m not worthy,they rock and have been together for years)if i could get onstage with them someday and play a couple songs without screwing up i would die happy...

Just hangin out over at Moonpie's crib and he said I should put my info in here, so here goes:

I'm 52 and luckily still counting.
    Tried to play guitar back in high school, but was never worth a s**t at it so I gave up on it.I love music so I figured that if I couldn't play music, I could still do the technical side of it. Did sound and lights for years and years for local bands, clubs, etc. High points include monitor mix for Iron Butterfly, The Romantics, and Enuffz-Nuff.
    One day about 15 years ago. I was doing sound for a band and asked the bass player if I could play his bass. I was just noodling around but at some point stated to get the hang of it, and he showed me a few tricks to help me out. I kept at it and and now after all these years I finally reached the mediocre level.
    Played in several pretty dang good local bands including a few with my old Bud Moonpie. Our Dads were in the Army together for 20 years,
    But we traveled in different circles until about 10 years ago.
    Highlights of my illustrious music career include opening for Bo Diddly, Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
    Don't get to play much these days because of my high pressure job (Project Manager of a flood prediction project for Romania)at Baron Sevices, but I still get over to Moonpies and jam a little.

It was good to read all of your profiles, and experiences. It is easy to see that the love of music truly is a universal experience. I don't get to post much, so if the phone don't ring, it's me.
    Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.