Thread: Resistance to Instructional DVD/Video

Resistance to Instructional DVD/Video

whats is WRONG with me,
    Anyone else have this stubborness?

Its not some Macho old-timer thing, I just always found ways to figure stuff out and loosely emulate things I want to learn from other players..
    But yesterday I pulled up old the Eric Johnson Austin CityLimits "Dover" clip, seen it a million times, and now for some reason am driving myself insane - - just want to get a little bit of some of these amazing runs under my fingers for practice....

I know he has an instructional video. I'll just get THIS ONE.
    Anyone have this fight like me?
    Someone analyze me please

Re: Resistance to Instructional DVD/Video

I've seen a few educational videos, but none of them had guitar players. Mainly pizza guys, and aerobics instructors.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    I've seen a few educational videos, but none of them had guitar players. Mainly pizza guys, and aerobics instructors.
    oh yeah you mean this one....

http://www.pizzeriapros.com/
    :rofl

Eric Johnson DVD mini-review:

Well I'm returning to the Floating Hand, and Welcome Back Mr. PINKIE (yowch). ODD,,, I quit using my pinkie for SPEED after seeing Mr. Johnson himself in some performance a ways back. But for me to get stuff under my fingers I need that pinky. It felt so natural to bring it back. Now working on making it work on the high frets (which I've avoided for 24 years) and building it's callous back. I only orphaned for use in scales/improv a couple months ago anyway.

I've learned more from hearing/seeing what he does when he's explaining stuff, than from the exercises themselves.
    ALOT of adjacent string picking on the same fret!! Big weakness for me. I'm hearing/seeing this cool stuff that has always escaped me but everybody else can do but me.

Fascinating the way he goes about things and how he arpeggiates (?) everything in small and large pieces. Like second nature.

Honestly, I originally wanted the DVD for note-by-note copping of his runs but I don't care about that now. When he talks about 'runs' he pretty much just says its "trial and error" .... EXCELLENT. Thats my kinda thing.
    I'm pumped.

Thanks for the review Alan. The most recent guitar DVD I watched was Keith Wyatt's "Blues Guitar Rhythm Chops"; probably quite a bit less advanced than your Eric Johnson lesson! Although the beginning of that video was very simple stuff, by the end, there is some really useful stuff. I think Keith Wyatt is a good teacher, too.

Between that and the "Beatles To-a-Tee" DVDs I got for Christmas, I've come to realize instructional DVDs are very useful to me. I think it helps watching someone play something how it's supposed to be played, instead of just trying to figure it out from tab, or from a book and CD (although these have been great, too).
    "Don't bring me down, grrooosss!" - ELO

I've gotten quite a bit out of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline Video, covers a lot of useful techniques, not so much a chop cop video, more exercises to get some really wild stuff under your fingers.
    That's a Robin move...Batman never woulda done that...