Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22nd Fret

Re: 22nd Fret

Quote Originally Posted by 69strat
    Livin' After Midnight(Priest)
    Rock You Like a Hurricaine (Scorpions)
    Any Way You Want it (Journey you can pick almost ANY Journey tune, Neal lives up there)
    Still Got the Blues (Gary Moore-awesome!)
    Enter Sandman (Metallica)
    Master of Puppets (Metallica)
    Summer Song (Satriani)

Thanks for making my point.

Also note that the Scorpions stuff often used an octave effect to get the high notes ( like I said, rack gear ) and last time I saw a picture of Blackie it had 21 frets.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Formerly joe mama

Your "point" asked for five, I named a few more than five. Don't keep score well huh? Those are all basic rock cover tunes with maybe the exception of Satriani as it's a little less known.

Ummm, I'm talking about Clapton's sig guitar. He and Beck chose to have 22 frets. Last I checked, he's been using his sigs for a LONG time.

And Scorps didn't use an octave effect on that! LOL. Why would they bother? Go watch them play. They have 22 frets. And the Fender Matthias Jabs model had 22 I do believe.

Octave effect? that's too funny. Matthias hits those notes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I like the middle pickup on a Strat!
    Ditto. If you play the in between quack tones, then you need the middle, plus its got a nice lead tone as well. Your missin` out if you don`t use it.

CT.

Forum Member

I have 22 frets and i am satisfied with my gibson lp custom nm 1976 but still i have to learn more and i want to buy an old stratocaster sometime...
    Finlander

69Strat, I guess my point is that for anybody who makes money slinging a guitar, the high-endy stuff is pretty well dead. It was fun while it lasted, but changes in audience tastes and gear have made it obsolete for a working player - look at your own list - everything there is 20 to 30 years old. Not the kind of material that I hear covered, and I've certainly never been asked to play a single one of those songs.

Since I know you ran out and bought our last CD, you know we cover anything from rockabilly to country, surf, and even ACDC. Heck, we even had a yahoo yell "Freebird" at the last job - so we did it for him. Point is, I just don't see how, using today's equipment, noodling up there has any benefit.

Without the hair and the Spandex it just seems so out of place! And, I still have my hair, but my Spandex days are WAY behind me. I guess YMMV and everyone is entitled to thier own opinion and should be allowed to find their own sense of joy and accomplishment from playing guitar. If you enjoy playing that music, by all means carry on.

But, if you've been around and "played your dues" as we say, you'll know that not to many paying gigs for grown-ups require a 22nd fret.

But whatever, feel secure in the fact that you have my support to follow your guitar bliss.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Formerly joe mama

I've named classic rock, shreddy stuff, blues stuff as well as a Bach tune and a very popular Xmas song. Also named in this thread were a few other tunes, among them, low and behold some surf music! All styles of music.

I remember a conversation with a friend of mine who's in a modern country band and he told me how more of the guys are using Les pauls these days and he said he's needed an extra fret from time to time.

Don't worry if you had a 22 fret guitar, I'm pretty sure you could still play Freebird! Just because your narrow focus of music doesn't call for it, understand that many other genres of music have and do use it. Open your mind a little.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    Ditto. If you play the in between quack tones, then you need the middle, plus its got a nice lead tone as well. Your missin` out if you don`t use it.

CT.
    No I'm not. Got no use for the middle pickup on a Strat by itself, and the quack tones I have very limited use for. Neither did this guy:

OK, that's it. Meet me by the flagpole at recess.

fezz parka

OK, I'll bring my Tele.

TFF Stage Crew

The WWJD thread continues along civilly, but the 22nd Fret thread denegrates into a playground brawl.

You'd think I'd have a sarcastic tag to follow that statement, but oddly, I don't. :)

fezz parka

I'm also bringing my dog Scruffy:

:rofl

TFF Stage Crew

Offshore Angler and 69Strat under the flagpole at 3 p.m. Be there or be square!

I'm going to find two empty coke bottles and put one on my thumb and the other on my forefinger, then clink them together over and over and laugh like a hyena.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    I'm going to find two empty coke bottles and put one on my thumb and the other on my forefinger, then clink them together over and over and laugh like a hyena.
    "Warriors, come out to play!"

You know everyone could have it alot worse. Look at me I'm a donkey...no opposible thumb...stuck playing slide with my hoofs for the rest of my natural life.... :wah

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    "Warriors, come out to play!"
    There is nothing you can't find a picture of. :lol

Forum Member

So....I guess my 1990 Ibanez RG770 with sharktooth inlay, double locking trem and (((((24 frets!))))) is just plain overkill these days? BooHoo...

He, he, I freekin' love you you guys! Really.

Hey, I'm thinking, there's no reason I couldn't put a fretboard extension on my Esquire and add on to like, 40 frets! That would be a neat looking axe, eh?

See Fezz, whenever I have to mess with a Tele neck pup I get grumpy for days!
    :)

OK, I'll bring my Tele.
    NO WAY I'm messin' with El Kabong.:rl

Formerly joe mama

Offshore Angler and 69Strat under the flagpole at 3 p.m. Be there or be square!

Yes I'll be there with me nocaster. Can we get a 21 gun salute at the flag? or should it be a 22 gun salute

Flagpole thing brings to mind Christmas Story! What an awesome movie.

see avatar <-----
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Formerly joe mama

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    see avatar <-----

you rock!

TFF Stage Crew

I watched it at least three times on Christmas day.

Formerly joe mama

Awesome. To me it's like Spinal Tap I kept seeing little parts I missed every time I watch it. My brother went to school with some of those kids back in the 80's.

i love that movie, definitely a fave. "frajeelee"
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

HA! 21 gun salute!!!!LOL! Remember Trower? He played box shapes and never went high. Everyone thought he was next to god because he sounded kinda like Hendrix, and some still feel that way about him. Without the flanger and wah he would sound like a average guitar player.lol

No I'm not. Got no use for the middle pickup on a Strat by itself, and the quack tones I have very limited use for. Neither did this guy:

Are you kidding? We all know that that's really not a Strat. Robbie switched to double cutaway fender just about the time he became utterly insufferable. The humble Tele must not have been Hollywood enough. :toobad

But damn, the lighting sure is great in that photo. :)

Such an emotional, high-strung (no pun intended) thread for such a friendly and cool place.

One question to OA, or anyone really... How many frets should a guitar have? Isn't music about expression of ones self? If someone wants 20, (yes some guitars have 20 frets) 22, 33 or 44 frets, isn't that the number of frets they should be allowed have and use? How about the number of strings, or using open tunings? My guitars all have 22 frets, six strings and are tuned to conventional E, A, D, G, B, E tunings based on 440Hz A. So I am a conformist... People say they like my playing, I have fun performing for people, jamming with others and playing along with records or CD's.

BTW, A Christmas Story Rocks... Way better than It's A Wonderful Life... :)

Doobie, I never said it was wrong to play way up on the neck. All I'm saying is that it doesn't play well with today's equipment. If you want to
    A) Lug a full stack to each job or
    B) Never play to a live audience,
    C) Use full stadium sound
    D) record in a stidio

go ahead. But for us old-timers who have eschewd the Spandex and hair for realistic volumes and repeat gigs, we just can't push those high notes with a small combo. If nobody more than 10 feet out front can hear them, why play them? Plus, musically, audience tastes have moved away from that style of music anyway.

I am a complete whore when I play. I do it strictly for the money. I don't give a shit what I play as long as I get paid at the end of the night. My job is to show up on-time with good equipment and play the material asked to the best of my ability, and to work the crowd. That's the job of a working guy. Playing the guitar is a suck job with suck hours and shit pay. If you have the attitude of "we're rock stars" you'll last about a year, maybe two in the biz. If you approach it as a job you might last a few if you have he chops. If you play what you want to play you'll last a short time. If you play what people want to hear, your band will do well.

Formerly joe mama

Man dude. That's so wrong. I tried to bite my lip on this one but... "Playing on high frets does not play well with today's equipment" That's just ridiculous bro'.

I have played out a ton of times every year since high school. I make my whole living playing the guitar, and don't earn one penny any other way. My last cover band drew a pretty good crowd and we got paid well, we milked it and it was very successful. Most all my friends play out every week and they are getting top dollar in this area for their music. My best friend who I grew up with, plays big clubs and places that pack in the crowds. He just played the House of Blues last month. He will not own a guitar with 21 frets. He says he needs it all the time. He uses all kinds of "todays equipment" mostly a POD XT. His wife sings and they play stuff from Joplin to Journey to most current stuff.

And one more thing........ Happy friggin' New Year!
    Last edited by 69strat; 12-30-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Formerly joe mama

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    i love that movie, definitely a fave. "frajeelee"
    Chuckie, have you seen this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Christmas-Stor...QQcmdZViewItem

There is nothing you can't find a picture of. :lol
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

Ohhh Bwoonhilda, you are so wuvwey... :lol

Hey OSA. Watch Robbie Robinson play "Further On Up The Road" (where he blows Clapton off the stage, incidently.) Watch where he plays on the fretboard. Watch and learn.

-Mark

WOULD YOU GUYS ACTUALLY READ MY FRIGGEN POSTS?

I said, I have not the required rig or paying gigs that require said noodling!

I never said it was wrong. I have repeatedly said that it's fun. I just don't see it as a "must have" for a working dude.

Plugger, I don't play blues anymore so I'm don't really care. If I never play Further On Up The Road ever again my life won't feel hollow. That's exactly the kind of playing that I DON"T LIKE. Pentwanking above the 12th. Besides, there just ain't any good paying blues gigs left here in the States. The Blues fad (thankfully) is pretty well dead. There are a few biker shitholes that buy it, but that's about it. Good freakin' riddance AFAIK, and most of the players I know. Even the Dinosaur BBQ is cancelling acts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    If I never play Further On Up The Road ever again my life won't feel hollow. That's exactly the kind of playing that I DON"T LIKE. Pentwanking above the 12th.
    Clapton is guilty of this, but Robby Robertson and The Band ain't no pentiwankers. I can relate, OSA. But you may be a tad too categorical on who likes what and why. ;)

And Plugger, you're mark on. RR comes in like a runaway locomotive with springs and bolts shooting out its side and rolls EC clean over. What a great movie. And Ronnie Hawkins GOT IT. Shew!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    Hey OSA. Watch Robbie Robinson play "Further On Up The Road" (where he blows Clapton off the stage, incidently.) Watch where he plays on the fretboard. Watch and learn.
    I watched and learned nothing, I guess. Robertson doesn't play very high on the fretboard because I don't think he can, and doesn't appear to have any finger vibrato either;) He's even more overrated than Mike Bloomfield and that's saying a lot! As for blowing Clapton off the stage you must be listening to something else and/or smoking something really bad!
    It's amazing how an innocent question about the importance, or not, of the 22nd fret has deteriorated into bad-mouthing those of us who've learned to play our instruments and have the ability to use the entire fretboard :)Oh well, it's only a thread

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Overdriver
    ... He's even more overrated than Mike Bloomfield and that's saying a lot! As for blowing Clapton off the stage you must be listening to something else and/or smoking something really bad!
    It's amazing how an innocent question about the importance, or not, of the 22nd fret has deteriorated into bad-mouthing those of us who've learned to play our instruments and have the ability to use the entire fretboard :)Oh well, it's only a thread

Or deteriorated by you bad-mouthing guitarists some of us love by imposing your opinion they are over-rated as if it was a fact.

Way to pretend you were taking the higher ground though. That was very kind and sold me completely. :lol

Forum Member

pc.
    Just having some fun on New Year's Eve:)
    The fact, of course, is that there are as many opinions about who is good and who isn't as there are frets on all the guitars in all the bars in all the world! That was my point. Which brings me to the point of this thread. Most of the great music done on Strats had been done with 'only' 21 frets. I have lots of guitars with 22 frets (including a Strat) and only one with 21(a '57 reissue Strat.) The one I enjoy playing most? The 7.5 radius high action 21 fretter. It has that indefinable thing....mojo:) But for most purposes I use my other Strat or my Les Paul for that extra fret. Happy New Year everyone ;)

I'm thinking of having frets removed from my guitars.

I could remove half of the frets, and be able to do complete pentatonic wankery without any bad notes.

It'd also be a great excuse to actually own eleven guitars.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I think I'll pick up the dulcimer...