Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: guitar strings

TFF Stage Crew

Re: guitar strings

Les Paul = D'Addario XL 10-46

Teles = Fender Original 150 (pure nickel) 10-46 (But I replace the .10 with an .11)

335 (AS-73) = still working on it. Looking for a set of flats that speaks to me.
    Last edited by pc; 01-04-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Strats DR 10's
    Les pauls DR 9"s
    They seem to last longer than the others for me, and sound a little livlier longer. I've also heard really good things about snake oils, but I've never tried them.
    That's a Robin move...Batman never woulda done that...

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Hey PC, tell me what flats speak to you when you find them. I recently got a used blue burst AS-73 as a birthday gift and was thinking of trying flat wounds on it. Have you tried D'Addario Chromes? I like them on my Kimberly (Tiesco), but is there better out there for 335 type hollow body guitars?

Forum Member

Jonnda,

I've got the Chromes (12-52) on an Ibanez AF105F. They're decent. I've got a set of D'aquisto flats on my L-5. The chromes seem a bit brighter. Havent considered flats on my AS73 though.

I usually only change a string when I break one, but if I break one or two in a week's time I change the whole set.

I do change acoustic strongs more often though because I love the crispness of an acoustic with new strings.

Ernie Ball- Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom- (10-52)
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    335 (AS-73) = still working on it. Looking for a set of flats that speaks to me.

PC, I have never liked the tone of flat wounds, but I did have fairly good luck with GHS Nickel Rockers on my 335. After winding, they are run through a roller that flattens them slightly for less finger noise. If you cant find any flats, you might consider givnig them a try.
    Then Play On

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks MMP. I'll check them out. I like the sound of my pure nickel strings on the AS-73, so that sounds cool. It's just that I do so much Jazz/Fusion on my Teles that I want the 335 to sound closer to a Jazz-Box kind of tone, which is why I'm considering the flats. I used flats on my Epi Joe Pass in the early to mid-90's when I played with a straight-ahead jazz trio every week, and it was a great sound for that genre.

Forum Member

pc,

I'll second MMPs suggestion. Many years ago I used the GHS (11-50) "Gus series" Nickel rockers on my 335 with a Jazz quartet and it sounded great. Sort of in between the sound of a true flatwound and a roundwound. I've used a little heavier gauge of these at times with my L-5 playing with a big band - they cut better and dont get muddy.

Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (.011--.048) on almost everything except for one tele with smaller vintage frets....I use Fender Original 150s on that one for now (.010--.046).
    I may switch over to D'Addario because I've always liked their quality--the Power Slinkies have grace with the tension on the gauge (which I need!).
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

On my Strat i have D'Addario 10-46 Nickel Wounds,
    on my Les Paul I have Pyramid 10-46 Nickel Wounds.
    Keep on rockin'

LostDog

Forum Member

Rotosound 10s on all my electrics...hard to find but they're great. i order them online.

John Pearce for acoustics.