Thread: Recomend a volume pedal

Forum Member

Recomend a volume pedal

Howdy, Can anyone recomend a decent volume pedal? Thanks!

Re: Recomend a volume pedal

Ernie Ball...built like a tank. Easy maintenance.

Several different models available-about $25 and up on ebay.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Ditto on the Ernie Ball. Superb construction. Adjustable taper. Tuner out.
    s'all goof.

TFF Stage Crew

I'd add to check out the newer version of the Ernie Ball that is smaller in size--fits on a pedalboard much easier. (VP Junior). Same quality as the big one, just a smaller "footprint."

Ernie Balls are great but if you're like me with big feet then you may want something with a larger footprint... I use an old DeArmond 1600 series volume pedal that I picked up cheap off of eBay. Since it's passive there's really nothing to it except the Pot and the case (which is wide and long and built like a tank). Just a thought in case the smaller pedals aren't to your liking.
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys!

i just upgraded my morley pro-series volume pedal--which was absolutly superb! to the Steve Vai "little alligator" volume by morley - it can be used inline between the guitar and the amp or in the effects loop -which is where i use it - no pots to wear out--all electronic and smooooth! i would suggest a look-see before a final decision--seriously

Forum Member

Thanks for the tip on the Lil' aligator. I still am searching. Def' going to hit the guitar stores after x-mass "mania" ends.

Forum Member

D.P. :blbros
    Last edited by RedRain; 12-22-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Forum Member

I have an old Sho-Bud that works real well.

I've got an EB and a couple of Boss FV100s. I can say that the EBs have been my favorites and I've used them since the 70s. The Boss pedals are nice because you can preset a minimum volume with a knob they have in case you don't want the pedal to go all the way off. I use these to control the volume of delays in my set up. I also have a DeArmond Pedal that uses a photo resistor circuit. It's pretty nice too and very clean but it doesn't have the same throw as the EB or the Boss. It comes up rather quickly but that may work better for some things. The other thing is that the Dearmond requires 120vac.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

I used to use the Morley Pro Series and liked it. The minimum control is nice. Sometimes I miss it.

Forum Member

The minimum vol seems like a nice option to have. My research has indicated that some volume pedals work better in an Fx loop than others. Do you guys use yours in front of the amp or FX loop? On that sounds good with both would be best (of course) but if I had to choose I would go with non-fx loop as I have been gravitating to my 60's reverberocket more and more. Thanks for the info so far guys!

I used the Morley in front of Fender amps and in the loop of a Mesa Blue Angel. It worked well both places, but better through the loop. Through the loop, it behaved like a master volume control and had less effect on the tonal characteristics. Into the front end of the amp, everything got a little bit weak sounding unless the pedal was all the way up.

Forum Member

I'll recommend one you DON'T get - a Bespeco volume pedal. I've got one and it's a piece of Schlitz. I replaced the pot in it last summer with a Radio Shack special. Improved it a bit but it's still just barely functional. GASsing for an Ernie Ball volume pedal now.

I prefer the little round knob on the guitar. Much more effective. Plus, it has the added benefit of changing the pup's response. Try it, you'll like it.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DoobieK
    I used the Morley in front of Fender amps and in the loop of a Mesa Blue Angel. It worked well both places, but better through the loop. Through the loop, it behaved like a master volume control and had less effect on the tonal characteristics. Into the front end of the amp, everything got a little bit weak sounding unless the pedal was all the way up.
    Ummm, not sure what you mean. I run multiple loops in front of the amp. Are you refering to a single effects loop in the amp's preamp section?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I believe the Blue Angel has the effects loop between the pre and power amp. If my memory is correct, the loop is after the reverb circuit in the amp.

Forum Member

Offshore, Ya I have the Pinky on the volume knob tech' down. Just doesnt work as well with my SG.

RedRain, I've played with a few guys with SG's that had a master volume installed with reach just for that reason. You may want to look into that. Easy, cheap mod that makes an SG a much more giggable instrument.