Thread: jerry donahue wiring

Forum Member

jerry donahue wiring

Does anyone have a schematic for this? I guess the 4'th position on the 5-way is the unique one. Also does anyone know the location of the neck pup, I understand it is mounted a little closer to the bridge than standard.

Re: jerry donahue wiring

I found this info on the Fender site. They do not list a wiring diagram for a Jerry Donahue Strat.

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/

Note: Most of our older guitar Parts Lists, Wiring diagrams and Switching Control Function Diagrams predate formatting which would allow us to make them available as PDF™ files on this site. If you do not find the list or diagram for your specific instrument on this page, we may still have an option for you to acquire a hardcopy from our archive. You may check availability for older material by calling Fender's Consumer Relations Department at: 480 596 7195, or by e-mail at: consumerrelations@fender.com. If we do have a copy of the document you desire, we would be happy to send it to you. All hardcopy Parts Lists, Wiring Diagrams and Switching Control Function Diagrams are $5.00 each. (Includes shipping and handling charges.) Please send a check or money order in U.S. funds for $5.00 for each separate list or diagram you require, along with a letter detailing your request and the specific documentation you need, to the following address.

ATTN: CUSTOMER SERVICE
    FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
    8860 E. Chaparral Road, Suite 100
    SCOTTSDALE AZ 85250
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

AFAIK, Fender never issued a schematic for the Donahue tele, and actively discouraged folks from putting one on the web.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

You can get a schematic of the circuit here which, as far as I can tell, is the JD tele circuit.
    It's relatively easy to follow but if you're having problems following it i'm sure someone here can help.

http://www.geocities.jp/dgb_studio/2svari_e.htm#61

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    I found this info on the Fender site. They do not list a wiring diagram for a Jerry Donahue Strat.
    :bwa Strat!This here is from ol' Butch. I'd move the wire that goes to the tone pot from the outside lug of the volume pot to the center lug, otherwise this is pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by 64lusso
    Does anyone have a schematic for this? I guess the 4'th position on the 5-way is the unique one. Also does anyone know the location of the neck pup, I understand it is mounted a little closer to the bridge than standard.
    Goes to show how little I know about sig series guitars. When I saw "5 way" I just dashed of and assumed it was a Strat.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

fezz parka

You'd like the Donahue, Bob.:yay

Forum Member

Zeiss, Thanks, a lot of info there, I can't read that diagram but I bet if I pull out my old copy of Electronic projects for musicains it would have some explanations there.
    Fezz, is that switch pictured in your diagram a Fender 5 way or a superswitch?

fezz parka

I believe it's a four pole superswitch...

What does this scematic do?

fezz parka

This is what it is supposed to do (courtesy of Semyour Duncan's site):

The Jerry Donahue Telecaster has a unique wiring designed for Jerry’s need and tonal character. It uses a special 4 pole 5 position lever switch.
    (1) Neck pickup with tone control out.
    (2) Neck pickup with tone control in.
    (3) Neck & Bridge pickup with tone control in.
    (4) Neck & Bridge pickups-neck pickup phased electrically with capacitor in and with tone control out.
    (5) Bridge pickup with tone control in.

I don't know exactly what Butch's shem does, but it should do what's desrcibed above.

Forum Member

I have never played a JD custom shop Tele which should have this scheme in it but I have heard that position 4 uses the resistor/cap combo to keep the low end out of phase cancellation from happening with the result being that you get a tone very similar to the strat bridge/middle position. I am looking for something unique to use in place of the standard both pups on sound which I have never been too wild about.

fezz parka

Here's another way to go with a five way switch in a Tele: Bill Lawrence Schem

Again, I'd move the wire that goes to the tone pot from the outside lug of the volume pot to the center lug so you won't lose highs as you roll back the volume.

I got the strat and that is one weird puppy, sounds like a tele in certain modes

fezz parka

Those "Hellecaster" Strats were a very limited run from the Japanese Custom Shop in '97. Good score!