Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you get a rock guitar player to stop playing?

Re: How do you get a rock guitar player to stop playing?

[QUOTE=Offshore Angler]Jim, and others. Algernon is saying being able to read makes you a better player. There is no disputing that. It's a skill. The more skillful, the better.

It makes you a better reader,not a better player.It will open up more avenues of work,if so desired,and teach you new songs and ideas that otherwise just lay on a page in front of you.You will be more versatile,but again,not a better player.
    Practice does that---reading gives you stuff to practice.Also,reading isn't improvising,it's playing something predetermined (which is good--those things can stick with you).Tab books and chord books are made for every style of music,along with CDs on some of them.
    I've been involved in the past in some pickup bands,where they gave me the Real Book to use---scary at times!But after a few run throughs I was pretty comfortable(sorta :rl ).That's where reading would benefit me the most.
    I'm learning slowly how to read,but after 38 years of playing I usually depend on my ears,and I glean stuff that way.....I have been fortunate to teach for 21 years,and that tightened me up even more.
    There are 2 kinds of people I've seen that really struggle as players--those who can't read,and those who can. ;)
    The debate (if that's what we have here) could go on forever--some of the greatest players couldn't read a recipe,and some of the greatest players could read anything.
    Poor Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder---no reading!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Well boys, re-read the title. If it said "Jazz" or "Classical" instead of "Rock" the thread would have gone in a totally different direction. Segovia could read like a Mofo. Charo too. I'd take their ability to interpret above 90% of the rockstar players.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Well boys, re-read the title. If it said "Jazz" or "Classical" instead of "Rock" the thread would have gone in a totally different direction. Segovia could read like a Mofo. Charo too. I'd take their ability to interpret above 90% of the rockstar players.

Segovia was a stupid good player,unequalled....he would actually go off the beaten path at times,which I liked.
    How do you get a jazz/classical player to stop playing?Take away the music ( just kidding).
    Not all jazz players read----most classical players (if not all) do,because they are following a score.But alot of them can play the pieces without reading.The question is,how much do you retain?
    If I hear a good joke,I try to memorize it,I don't have to write it down.Same with lyrics.I have a friend who was started out as a guitarist,then went to a conservatory for piano and came out a MONSTER.He would play these very intricate 10 minute pieces from memory!
    Rockstar players? Don't know what your definition is,but I don't care for all of the playing....but that crosses into all styles with me.If a player turns my prop I don't care if he's reading or not.Execution and feel rules.
    Are you giving the people what they want and making a good living at it--are you happy doing it?
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

MY JAMS--

TFF Stage Crew

I wouldn't be nearly as functional musician if I didn't read. I get gigs (studio, jazz ensemble, etc.) that I wouldn't get otherwise. I have a ton of fun in my Rock/R&B bands, and reading wouldn't be needed there, but I have an awful lot of fun on the studio calls. I'd hate to miss out on those.

And by the way Refin, just so you know, Ray Charles did read music. He had braille charts made for him, and he also made them himself with a special braille music typewriter. There's even a scene in the movie "Ray" where you can see the actor using the braille charts in the way Ray did. :yay

TFF Stage Crew

Do I really need to type in a reply to this thread, or can I just cut-n-paste my response?

Forum Member

If Bob Ross were alive today (and decided to comment on this thread), I am sure he would know exactly what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    And by the way Refin, just so you know, Ray Charles did read music. He had braille charts made for him, and he also made them himself with a special braille music typewriter. There's even a scene in the movie "Ray" where you can see the actor using the braille charts in the way Ray did. :yay

Very cool,didn't know that....he retained what he read obviously.

MY JAMS--

Quote Originally Posted by RedRain
    If Bob Ross were alive today...
    That painter guy on TV with the afro?

"We're gonna paint some happy little trees, and they're just gonna live right here..."

It wasn't until I got chord-charts and learned a few guitar patterns that music really made sense to me. This after 6 years piano lessons, *sheesh*. I could "name the chord from the notes" but didn't see how it fit with the others.

I've used reading music a lot in studio things, horns, choral stuff, charts, copywriting etc. but theory didn't really stick until I saw a chord chart.

Thanks for the heads-up, Fezz! You so lucky!
    Shine your light.

This thread is
    Last edited by refin; 12-16-2005 at 12:04 PM.

MY JAMS--