Thread: The differnces with the new 'others'

Forum Member

The differnces with the new 'others'

Hey all. How you doing?

I'm currently running a mex strat, which I do like, but I think something a little different from the strat/tele mainstream would suit me more.

Ive had a look through the Fender Frontline catalogue, and have seen a few models that catch my eye. They are all within about £60 of each other, so I was just wondering what the differences are, as the catalogue doesn't really say that much.

Okay so the guitars are:

• Mustang - Classic Series (although I haven't seen that one over here yet)
    • Toronado HH
    • Cyclone (the SH one)
    • Jazzmaster '62 RI MIJ, single coils though.

Im leaning slightly toward the Cyclone at the min. My local shop has one, and I like the way it plays, and sounds, and if the bridge p'up was 4 conductor, that'd be even better.

All my other guitars (almost) are les pauls, so I dont want anything going too far toward that sound, but something a bit different from just a fat strat.

So, any info you could send my way as to the merits of these guitars, or if you feel I should be looking at something else, that'd be greatly appreciated :)

-James

Re: The differnces with the new 'others'

Their all good guitars in their own right. The only thing I would be concerned about is "scale length." If my memory serves me correctly, the Mustang is a short scale, 24", and that can give you some problems with tuning. The shorter the scale, the more finicky guitars get about tuning. Some Mustangs are fine, while others can present a real challange. Make sure you sit with one for a long time and play it. See if the tuning is an issue for you.

The Cyclone and Tornado have a 24.75" scale length like a Gibson while the Jazz Master is the only one of the lot with a 25.5" scale length. What this all means is that if you're used to Fender Strats and Teles, the Jazz Master will feel and play more like what you're used to.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

Im used to the 24.75 length, although I play a strat too, and dont find too much trouble switching.

I was a bit uncertain about the 24" Mustang. I may disregard that one as it has single coils and I really wanted a bridge humbucker. Im not the biggest of guys, so im worried the Jazz may feel a bit big for me, although ive yet to have a chance to try one.

Thanks for your input :)

Hey, in a perfect world you'd buy a Jag AND Mustang, and then... oh wait, they already sell one.

I think Cyclones are pretty cool.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Although Jazzmaster have indeed the same scale as strats or tele's, Jazzmasters "feel" bigger, since the neck is positioned more towards the left as compared to a Strat. This is due to the longer body of the jazzmaster.

Maybe a pic will make ot more clear:

Look at the position of the 12th fret.

Forum Member

pics don't look nice, but I guess my point is clear.

J-Masters are great pieces of work. Of the group that you mentioned........Id go with the J-Master.

Quote:
    * Jazzmaster '62 RI MIJ, single coils though.

I hope that the MIJ's dont have the basswood bodies...that would really be a buzzkill....but yet they do sell for about $700.

As for single coils.....I feel that they have more Mojo than 'buckers.

If you get a Mustang,string it with .011s or .012s---it will help with the aforementioned tuning problems.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Single coils are not bad! I think you should try a Jazzmaster before you buy anything else.
    The bodies are a bit bigger but they're really comfy in my experience.
    One of the guitarists in one of my bands has a Cyclone (one of the original ones in CAR) and, frankly, it's a bit crap. The neck feels cheap and bulky, nothing like a nice Jazzmaster.

Anyway, I know i'm a bit of a fanboy, but what about the Jaguar? Fender have magiaclly found some inventory to sell in the UK (after saying it would be six months because they'd have to make more). I know, I just bought one.
    If in doubt, try them out.
    I dunno what Cardiff's music shops are like but it'd be worth trying out all the models rather than end up with a dog of a guitar that you don't really like.

Forum Member

I play 12s anyway, so if thatll help with the short scale tuning, thats one point up for those guitars.

I had a go with a very cool surf green Jazzmaster 62ri, its a bit pricey in the shop but it was good to try it. I really like the feel of the guitar, and the pickups do sound really cool, with some great tones, I dont think they are what im looking for in this purchase.

The shop didnt know, but does anyone here know if the 62RI routes can accept HBs? :p

you'll need to route, but it's really no big deal.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"